This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Their Any Prescriptions Remedies To Ease The Nausea?

Rose-NC

Rose-NC Newbie

My daughter is diagnosed as celiac but the DR. did not do the blood test. She has been on a gluten free diet since August. But, she is in college and sometimes while eating out gets gluten in her meals. She is then extremely nauseous the next day. Is there anything that can help stop the nausea? I know there are drugs to help pregnant women who are extremely sick. I am still learning about this disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kevsmom Contributor

I am a Diabetic with Celiac, who was just in the hospital for dehydration due to nausea. My dr. prescribed Reglan, and it did help. I don't know if he prescribed it because I am a diabetic, or if he would have prescribed it anyway - just to ease the nausea.

Cindy

Rose-NC Newbie
My daughter is diagnosed as celiac but the DR. did not do the blood test. She has been on a gluten free diet since August. But, she is in college and sometimes while eating out gets gluten in her meals. She is then extremely nauseous the next day. Is there anything that can help stop the nausea? I know there are drugs to help pregnant women who are extremely sick. I am still learning about this disease.
Rose-NC Newbie
I am a Diabetic with Celiac, who was just in the hospital for dehydration due to nausea. My dr. prescribed Reglan, and it did help. I don't know if he prescribed it because I am a diabetic, or if he would have prescribed it anyway - just to ease the nausea.

Cindy

Cindy, thanks for your help. My daughter is going to study abroad and I am trying to figure out how she can be prepared for nausea. I will definitely ask about Reglan! :)

lorka150 Collaborator

I never take any medications except when this happens, and I would have never believed it, but Pepto works SO fast and so well.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Rose-NC,

I cannot handle Reglan. I had a very bad reaction to it. I take Promethazine (Phenergan). The downside is it does tend to make you drowsy! I have to watch when I take it. I cannot take it on days I need to stay awake for something, but if I can go ahead and sleep, I don't bother trying to go without it. If I get glutened, I have a severe gastro reaction. My reaction is quite violent. Promethazine is a godsend!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

marlykarly Rookie
Cindy, thanks for your help. My daughter is going to study abroad and I am trying to figure out how she can be prepared for nausea. I will definitely ask about Reglan! :)

Rose..

My oldest son is in college and he was able to get an apartment on campus (same price as the dorm) b/c the school could not provide him with a healthy gluten-free diet.. and it was affecting his studies. He roomed with 4 other guys.. but it gave him a kitchen to prepare his own foods.

Is there a chance your dd could qualify for something like that?

He also travels a lot.. and has been in 6 countries in the past 2 years.. Right now he is in Greece. He carries the language menu cards with him and always keeps a jar of p-nbutter, and a bag of pretzles (for dipping in it) with him.

Some places are great.. like when he was in Zimbabwe..they have No wheat in the country..

other places such as Greece where they eat Tons of bread.. are difficult..

feel free to pm me if you want to talk..

As for the nausea.. my son only takes tums or pepto..nothing prescription..

HOnestly if she i getting that sick..the university needs to meet her needs better.

HTH

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jesscarmel Enthusiast

hi

i had terrible nause and somtimes still do. at first they gave me compazine which most people tolerate well but i got restless legs from it. then they gave me zofran which didnt really help but has helped alot of people. then they gave me reglan which did help. for over the counter i take gravol which is a canadian medication for nuasea but it makes you sleepy- dramamine i think is the american version- have you tried dramamine?

jess

NoGluGirl Contributor
Rose..

My oldest son is in college and he was able to get an apartment on campus (same price as the dorm) b/c the school could not provide him with a healthy gluten-free diet.. and it was affecting his studies. He roomed with 4 other guys.. but it gave him a kitchen to prepare his own foods.

He also travels a lot.. and has been in 6 countries in the past 2 years.. Right now he is in Greece. He carries the language menu cards with him and always keeps a jar of p-nbutter, and a bag of pretzles (for dipping in it) with him.

Some places are great.. like when he was in Zimbabwe..they have No wheat in the country..

HOnestly if she i getting that sick..the university needs to meet her needs better.

HTH

Dear marlycarly,

We are covered under the Disability Act 504. Colleges must comply with Celiacs' dietary needs. What the college did was illegal. They are required by law to assist. Go to

Open Original Shared Link .

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Reglan is given a lot during chemotherapy, as is Compazine. I probably didn't spell it right.

key Contributor

Zofran is awesome if she can get some one to prescribe it for her. I would think YOu could find a doctor that would if he was compassionate enough. It is expensive, but there is a generic that came out now. It is give to cancer patients. It doesn't have the same drowsy side effect as the Phenergan. I have taken it and it works wonders!!

Monica

Cuervo Rookie
hi

i had terrible nause and somtimes still do. at first they gave me compazine which most people tolerate well but i got restless legs from it. then they gave me zofran which didnt really help but has helped alot of people. then they gave me reglan which did help. for over the counter i take gravol which is a canadian medication for nuasea but it makes you sleepy- dramamine i think is the american version- have you tried dramamine?

jess

:lol: Gravol is one of my best friends, but it does make me sleepy. I only take it on weekends and evenings (or when I'm flying).

UNCHeel Rookie

Rose

I bought the trimpgh dining cards that have the special needs written in like 5 different languages for differenct cuisines and I think I've been safe so far b/c they explain to the kitchen managers what you can and can't eat. I'm sure they would be very helpful for your daughter so she doesn't have to feel bad...we all can certainly sympathize.

jesscarmel Enthusiast
:lol: Gravol is one of my best friends, but it does make me sleepy. I only take it on weekends and evenings (or when I'm flying).

haha thats so funny!! i always say how much i love gravol and ppl think i'm crazy. i also use it to fly and never go anywhere without it. its all over my house- in my purse, in my pockets. i want to buy stock in gravol!!! we should start a gravol fan club!!

Cuervo Rookie
haha thats so funny!! i always say how much i love gravol and ppl think i'm crazy. i also use it to fly and never go anywhere without it. its all over my house- in my purse, in my pockets. i want to buy stock in gravol!!! we should start a gravol fan club!!

LETS DO IT!!!! hahahahahah I'm the same way. My Mom is always saying "what are those little pink pills all over your purse" lol

ElizabethN Apprentice

I have taken Reglan for morning sickness and pre-Pregnancy took Phenegran whenever I was extremely nauseated or was glutened. Phenegran can be given orally, or in a suppository or iv- it has always worked great for me and I like to keep some on hand for emergencies so I don't end up dehydrated.

I think Reglan works by speeding up your digestive track- it has helped me a bunch now but I am not sure how effective it would be for glutening. I was given a prescription for it back when they thought I had IBS and it never seemed to be very effective- I took it for nearly a year. There is no harm in her trying both- hopefully something will work for her!

GRUMP 1 Contributor

I see you are getting lots of information on this one but here is what I use. As other it would see. Promethazine Generic for Phenergan. It works real good and I would be lost with out it. Hope this helps.

Grump

carriekate Rookie
Rose..

HTH

Just wanted to say that Tums are not gluten free.

• 3 months later...
The Lovebug Rookie

Rose,

I found this thread while searching for something else, and you may have solved the problem for your daughter by now, but I just wanted to add my experience. I, too, get violently nauseous when I am glutened. A few times I've ended up in the emergency room and was given an injection which stopped the vomiting. They then gave me some suppositories to use if the vomiting returned. I've now used the suppositories for a couple of other bouts of vomiting (read "glutening") and am going to ask my doctor for more to have on hand, "just in case." There is also an over-the-counter syrup that can be helpful if the nausea has not yet led to vomiting. It is called Emetrol. I haven't actually checked it to make sure it is gluten free. Hope this help.

Sue

confusedks Enthusiast

I second Zofran. When I was in the hospital, I was glutened many times and they gave it to my through my IV as much as I was allowed (every 2 hours I think.) Then I had a TERRIBLE reaction to a narcotic pain medication and was so nauseous I couldn't open my eyes (I REFUSE to throw up) and they gave me more zofran and it was amazing! I now got a prescription for it and I take it when i get glutened and it works miracles! B)

Kassandra

rajawali Newbie

I chew on a lot of sugarless mint gum. Always have a supply in my pocket, at home, at the office, in the car, everywhere. If the nausea is bad, I could be taking one every 30 minutes. Also, I found that strong ginger tea helped. Usually they ae sweetened with sugar, so it is not good if you are diabetic. You can buy the ginger tea in Asian Groceries. I have found them made in Thailand or Indonesia.

I am lucky that I don't get nausea too often or very bad.

Yellow Rose Explorer

I use ginger tea for nausa. You can find ginger root at any food store and it's very inexpensive usually under a buck for a big piece of it. Keep it in the fridge or plant it for more. Cut off a piece about 1/2 inch thick and put it in a cup of water. Microwave for 2 minutes and let it steep for another 2 minutes. Put it in a garlic press and squeeze out the juice and scrape off the little pieces into the tea. Add some sugar or honey and drink it up. Be sure to swallow the little pieces as well. It works in just a few minutes. In a pinch you can use dried ground ginger 1/2 tsp or candied ginger too.

Yellow Rose

Archived