This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chebe Products

SUZ42

SUZ42 Explorer

I'm really wanting a pizza and a sandwhich or garlic bread. It's been about 9 weeks now and it's sounding pretty good to me. I was looking around the gluten free mall pages and was wondering about the Chebe brand. Are they any good? I am kind of leary about buying this stuff on line, but I live in a small town with no other options, really. Any brands better than others?

Thanks so much.

Suzanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dionnek Enthusiast

chebe is different - some people love it and some hate it. It is very chewy/doughy (if you make the balls/rolls. I made pizza crust with it and it was pretty good - thicker and chewier than I'm used to in "normal" pizza crust, but my non-celiac husband ate it and said it was good. My 2 yr. old wouldn't touch it though, but she's pretty picky :)

If you like "bready" things then you will probably like these. I do.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Sometimes Chebe turns out great and sometimes it's just okay. When it's done right, it's amazing. The only problem is I don't know how I can bake the same product the same way so many times....only to end up with such varying results in terms of chewyness, flavor etc. :unsure: It's a mystery. Worth trying though.

JennyC Enthusiast

When it is "baking" in the oven it smells fantastic, which is why it is such a disappointment when it never seems to cook thoroughly. Even if you leave it in the oven for longer, it will burn before the chewiness goes away. <_<

angel-jd1 Community Regular
chebe is different - some people love it and some hate it. It is very chewy/doughy (if you make the balls/rolls. I made pizza crust with it and it was pretty good - thicker and chewier than I'm used to in "normal" pizza crust, but my non-celiac husband ate it and said it was good. My 2 yr. old wouldn't touch it though, but she's pretty picky :)

If you like "bready" things then you will probably like these. I do.

The first time I made chebe, I made the rolls. I thought it was the NASTIEST thing I had ever tasted. They were gummy and had a metallic taste. BLEH!!! However, they came out with the pizza crust mix, and I was given one to try. I figured I wasn't out anything so I gave it a whirl.

OMG..........it was the BEST pizza crust I had ever had. My family (who is not gluten-free) will ONLY eat this crust now. They don't do regular crusts anymore. I guess the moral of my story is, try it another way. Don't eat the doughballs. Make it into pizza or breadsticks topped with cheese.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Karen B. Explorer
When it is "baking" in the oven it smells fantastic, which is why it is such a disappointment when it never seems to cook thoroughly. Even if you leave it in the oven for longer, it will burn before the chewiness goes away. <_<

There is one trick to making chebe not go gummy. It has to breathe. I leave it wrapped in a tea towel sitting in my colander overnight (at least 12 hrs) before I put in an airtight container. The big difference is you have to work to keep rice flour from drying out but Chebe has to have some time to release the moisture.

If you put baking powder in the rolls (as mentioned on the package) they taste like a Schlotski's sandwich bread (great for burger buns). I use my tortilla press to make mini pizza crusts for lunch at work. Chebe pizza crust made with parmesan is really tasty (picture cheesey crust). Sometimes I mix in a half cup of well drained black beans and crushed garlic to make a black bean pizza crust (adjust water if you try this).

Chebe rolls make good ham & cheese mini-sandwiches. It's one of my favorite gluten-free mixes because it doesn't take 2 hours from mix to bread. (I order it by the case) I've also used it to make white bread rolls (using fat free cream cheese), fake rye bread rolls (for my Mom) and powdered sugar donut holes. Makes good cheese straws, scones and breakfast pastries. And whenever I take Chebe roles with parmesan and green chilis to work, my co-workers wipe them out. If you want any of these recipes, let me know.

One issue is it gets really sticky if you add too much water. When I make that mistake, I spray my hands with a gluten-free cooking so I can handle it (you roll the dough to make the rolls). Make sure the mix hasn't been sitting on someone's shelf past it's ex-date, it has dry milk in it.

If you like a bready pizza crust, I've heard good things about Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Crust mix but I've never used it as pizza crust. Makes a killer french bread, though.

Mtndog Collaborator

I love IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

My favorite is the premade, frozen, single serving pizza crusts.

I think that Chebe is a gluten-free gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

They make pre-made frozen crusts???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to do one tracked mind search!!!!! Until I find where I can get it!

Karen B. Explorer

I've also found something in the freezer section at a regulary grocery store called "pan de yucca" that was frozen rolls made out of tapioca flour/starch, milk and eggs. Although not labeled "gluten-free" it was gluten-free just by the recipe. I can only find it at the Kroger on the ritzier side of town (the one that also has more speciality foods). They initially caught my eye because the only rolls I've ever seen that were so white were the steamed Vietnamese BBQ pork buns (probably mispelled but I think they call them chow su bau").

kabowman Explorer

I have found that my husband makes the chebe bread the best, I don't or can't knead it enough due to wrist issues. Being yeast free too, this has been the best option for me for bread that doesn't fall apart when I try to make it into a sandwhich.

I use it for sausage bisquits while camping, rolls for cashew butter and jelly sandwhiches, and I use the garlic mix for one big loaf.

I also make the plain (dairy free) rolls with olive oil and salt on the top, sometimes we add bits of broken up sausage while mixing or different herbs or cut up sun dried tomatoes are really good. I love the foccia bread with extra rosemary, olive oil, and sliced tomatoes on top.

I did find that you can't let it sit for several days then try to eat it, especially if was very fluffy then deflated, it just gets hard.

I bought a bunch to take on our trip to SD, MT, and WY this summer so that when we get in in the evening, I can bake some up for the next day since I have cabins along the way.

dionnek Enthusiast

Sounds like I need to be more adventurous in my chebe baking - all these ideas sound great!

Karen B. - when you say you let them sit overnight, is that before baking or after baking?

SUZ42 Explorer

Thank you everyone! I will give it a try. I think I'll start with the premade frozen crust though. I never was a big bread eater but reading your responses has made me hungry for it.

:rolleyes:

GRUMP 1 Contributor

I have made their Bread sticks. They were pretty good, I put Parmesan cheese in the mix. They were really good with the spaghetti. Next time I will try them with herbs also.

Karen B. Explorer
Sounds like I need to be more adventurous in my chebe baking - all these ideas sound great!

Karen B. - when you say you let them sit overnight, is that before baking or after baking?

I bake them and line my colander with a flour sack towel, when the rolls are cool enough to handle, I put them in the colander and cover with the ends of the towel. I leave them sitting in the microwave overnight because one of the cats loves Chebe rolls. After they have aired 12-18 hours, I put them in a ziploc and if we're not going to finish them in 2-3 days, I either freeze them or demote them to dog biscuits. (the cat doesn't like stale rolls & the dog doesn't care :-)

Someone told me that refrigerating gluten-free breads made them taste stale so we either eat them in a few days or freeze them. That rule has worked for me on all the breads.

I can post my Chebe variations when I get home if you want or was there one particular that sounded good?

Also, have you checked out the recipes on their website? Open Original Shared Link

dionnek Enthusiast
I bake them and line my colander with a flour sack towel, when the rolls are cool enough to handle, I put them in the colander and cover with the ends of the towel. I leave them sitting in the microwave overnight because one of the cats loves Chebe rolls. After they have aired 12-18 hours, I put them in a ziploc and if we're not going to finish them in 2-3 days, I either freeze them or demote them to dog biscuits. (the cat doesn't like stale rolls & the dog doesn't care :-)

Someone told me that refrigerating gluten-free breads made them taste stale so we either eat them in a few days or freeze them. That rule has worked for me on all the breads.

I can post my Chebe variations when I get home if you want or was there one particular that sounded good?

Also, have you checked out the recipes on their website? Open Original Shared Link

After reading these posts this morning I was so craving bready things that I made the Olive Oregeno rolls from the website above, using the garlic and onion chebe mix. They were yummy!

I would love your recipe with the cream cheese, and the doughnut holes too! Thanks!

Karen B. Explorer

Here's the recipe I shared with my local Celiac group. I made a double recipe of powdered sugar donut holes and didn't have any leftovers to take home. I'm leaving in all the tips about handling Chebe dough because it is a different critter from most doughs. I don't know how long it takes for them to go stale because around our house, it's like finding out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Toostie Pop. :-)

NOTE: it is important to use the fat free cream cheese because the xanthan gum in it helps the texture of the bread.

Snowballs

2 Tbsp. Benecol (a healthy butter substitute)

3 Eggland

Karen B. Explorer

And here's the recipe I made for white bread rolls. I like the GFP Favorite Sandwich Bread mix for dinner rolls, but my sister can't have yeast so I made these. They were quite a hit. Again, I'm leaving in all the tips I gave my Celiac group. Sorry if it's TMI.

Chebe Bread - Plain White Rolls

1 package Chebe bread mix

2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 Eggland

Karen B. Explorer

The next time I make these, I'm doubling the chilis but then, I'm a pepper head.

Chebe Cheese Straws (lower choleserol version)

1 package Chebe bread mix

2 Tbsp. Benecol (a healthy butter substitute)

2 Eggland

Karen B. Explorer

After posting the recipes for snowballs (do nut holes), white bread rolls and cheese straws, I have to say my favorite chebe recipe is still the plain chebe mix made with parmesan and adding the baking powder. It reminds me of Schlotsky's bread and makes great ham and cheese mini sandwiches for lunch (with a stoneground mustard... YUM). And it's the fastest gluten-free bread I know of. I can go from opening the package to completely finished in under an hour (a major bonus on a work night).

One more item I just thought of. I use parchment paper when baking. Don't know if that makes a difference, but it works well with chebe.

dionnek Enthusiast

Thanks Karen! I can't wait to try these new recipes!

Karen B. Explorer

My hubby said I should also post the recipe I use for scones but it's not really a recipe. Just prepare the plain (red package) Chebe and add the baking powder but forget to add the cheese. It turns out kind of like biscuits but a little different. The result of making Chebe at 11 PM. :-)

When I'm deliberately making breakfast pastries, I'll add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the dough. I press the dough out, cut it into triangles and use a greased spoon to press a spot in the middle that I fill with orange marmalade, blueberries, cinnamon-sugar cream cheese or whatever else trips my fancy. And then I share it around so I don't eat but one.

One time I used my smallest biscuit cutter (about an inch) and made one-bite biscuits that I took to work with Benecol and apple butter on one of those days when you know the coffee shops won't be open (I think it was the Friday after Thanksgiving). It was a big hit with a co-worker's kid. She's still trying to get her Mom to make "little biscuits".

Gwenny Newbie

I've been buying the frozen breadsticks from Wild Oats and LOVE them! I am doing Weight Watchers, so I don't overdo the breadsticks or have them too often, but when I do, it's a nice treat.

I will have to try out the recipes posted here, they sound pretty good and variety in my meals is something I enjoy.

My non-celiac boyfriend loves the Chebe and has not had a problem with going gluten free at home. He gets to eat whatever he wants for lunch during the week, but also enjoys what we make at home. :)

1stp Newbie

:rolleyes: Enter the word search for the product of this community so analysis for this product .such this community is the best for search product

:D

1stp Newbie

:rolleyes: Enter the word search for the product of this community so analysis for this product .such this community is the best for search product

:D

Archived