This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Ever Cheat On This Diet?

sillyyak

sillyyak Enthusiast

Has anyone ever cheated on this diet out of frustration and being fed up? Did you get sick? Did you have to go to the hospital? I am wanting to cheat VERY BAD. I want to eat a whole cake! I am even having dreams of eating breaded chicken and a slice of entemanns cake. I just am worried that I would get so sick I would end up in the hospital

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Has anyone ever cheated on this diet out of frustration and being fed up? Did you get sick? Did you have to go to the hospital? I am wanting to cheat VERY BAD. I want to eat a whole cake! I am even having dreams of eating breaded chicken and a slice of entemanns cake. I just am worried that I would get so sick I would end up in the hospital

After reading the information in your signature......how could you possibly WANT to cheat. I don't cheat because there are too many accidentals, and that's enough for me.

I have not done, yet, but there is a whole bunch of gluten free products on line that are highly recommended. Cakes as well.

Treat youself to a wonderfull gluten free cake. I have been able to adjust to most everthing that I used to eat. I do miss McD's double bacon cheeseburger....but I can get over it.

...you can too :)

pedro Explorer

Hi

I don't even think about it. If I get any gluten by accident I will start vomiting within a few minutes none stop. Why do I want to cheat. To feel miserable for days is not worth it.

Besides accidents happens to offtent and reminds me what gluten can do me.

Take care

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I never cheated and would never consider cheating. I remember how sick I felt all the time, how much damage has been done to my intestine and frankly how awful it is if I do accidentally get glutened and that is from trace amounts that I don't even know how I got glutened.

If you want cake, go get (or order) Namaste chocolate cake mix and get some Pillsbury frosting. You would never know the difference. They carry it at Wild Oats if you have that near you.

And Bell & Evans makes awesome gluten free chicken nuggets.

How could you possibly put your health and body at risk just to eat a piece of cake?!!! Hang in there and please for your sake, don't cheat.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

Where are you? I bet someone can recomend a gluten-free restaurant nearby. I hear the Outback flourless cake is awesome.

I just had a great gluten-free brownie.

I get way sick with accidental gluten, no temptation to cheat.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Where are you? I bet someone can recomend a gluten-free restaurant nearby. I hear the Outback flourless cake is awesome.

I just had a great gluten-free brownie.

I get way sick with accidental gluten, no temptation to cheat.

Oh yeah! The Chocolate Thunder from Down Under dessert at Outback and gluten free and AMAZING!!!! There is your easy cake, right there!

whitball Explorer

oh yes I have cheated....... once and I will never do it again. It is not worth the pain. I had the same reaction as when I had been glutened by "gluten free" Alice Springs Chicken at the Outback. Both times I spent 8 to 9 hours laying on the bathroom floor with severe D and vomiting often at the same time. I thought that I was dying and probably should have sought treatment at the ER. I was very, very ill. Don't do it to yourself. There are lots of options and if you aren't sure how, please ask on this forum. People here are very willing to help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lotsofluvme Newbie

If you have a PF changs near by they have awesome and i do mean awesome flourless chocolate cake with berries...it is way better than any cake with gluten you could ever get!!!

They also have an awesome dinner menu that is gluten free so you can get other things too.

Also if you are in the midwest there is a place called biaggis that has gluten free pasta.

You can find both online.

OH and REally excellent but expensive is the melting pot. It is fondue that is absolutely amazing.

They don't have a dedicated menu but you can tell them that you can't eat gluten and they can modify or tell you what you can't eat.

AWESOME for chocolate fondue with stawberries and pineapple if you can eat them.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I also cheated, last summer, started a whole thread about it, in fact.

I had had it......I found myself in the middle of a very deep depression again (my main problem w/ Celiac) and thought.....why am I doing this? why am I eating so strictly gluten-free if I can still be this depressed?

So.........I went out and bought three regular doughnuts - plain cake with chocolate frosting - - and ate them all, on a Monday. figured I'd be laid up in bed the entire next day and in the bathroom all day long....wrong. nothing happened.....at FIRST.

On Tuesday, I bought a small loaf of banana nut bread from Trader Joe's, ate half of that, with butter. And still NOTHING, the next day.

Well, by Thursday night, I was in severe abdominal pain.....and constipated. And BTW, if I have the SLIGHTEST amount of gluten - as in, a contamination issue, or carelessness - I am extremely sick the next day, with HORRIBLE diarrhea.

Long story short - -- - by Saturday night, I was jackknifed in pain, and in tears......almost called my mom, just to sob about the pain, at 10 p.m. - -

[bTW that would have worried the heck out of her because I am the girl who showered, shaved, and blow dried hair the morning I drove myself to the hospital for what turned out to be an appendix removal that same day (vanity, you know :lol: I had never been to the hospital and figured, this pain is SO bad - - it will reguire a trip to the hospital and I don't want unshaved legs :lol: ) - - so this phone call to my mom would have been quite alarming ]

for the two days after that, I was very, very sick, with the most noxious, poisonous diarrhea I have ever experienced.

GRAPHIC INFORMATION TO FOLLOW - - - - - -

it smelled like dead skunk. :huh: and hurt like heck!

I was truly miserable, and it took a couple of weeks to recover.

You know what? I recommend investing in some very good flours, and baking some things. I had some gluten-free muffins from a bakery in San Jose that were fluffy and moist and SO NORMAL and TO DIE FOR!!!! That's what I would "cheat" with next time.......

don't do it!!!!

jmd3 Contributor

Absolutely never - as bad as I get, I would never knowingly eat gluten ever again.

Start making some items with gluten-free flour - you will be surprised at how good some of those items cn be - I love the chocolate chip cookies I make now - I never really liked them before.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Heck no! cheating is not worth it in my honest opinion. I hated being sick before and why would I do something that may make me sick. I got a life to live, and I have to make up for those years I was too sick to enjoy my life. I missed out on a lot and I am not about to miss anything if I can help it.

pnltbox27 Contributor

ive only been gluten free since march and hell yes i think about cheating just about every day ... but i dont!!!!just to be able to down 3 or4 beers with my buddies after golf would be awesome.hang in there you are not alone.

ENF Enthusiast

Had a question. Nevermind, I already figured it out by looking at past postings. :rolleyes:

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I never cheat on gluten foods. I take risks - like eating things that were made in shared facilties, and i take risks with beauty products. I DO cheat on Casiens. Tonight I had one HALF a wing dipped in Blue cheese Dressing (it was gluten-free - I checked!). I now have D, but gosh damnit.. that wing was good! Well the other ones were good too... but that one wasn't as hot.

I dont' know if it's how hard casiens are, or that I don't have a medical dx like gluten that i cna't get though my head that I can't do that. I think also the fact that I'll have D tonight and that is it is something I can deal with after years of having D daily.

tarnalberry Community Regular

No. There are far too many things for me to eat to "cheat" with something that will hurt me.

gdobson Explorer

I cheated once. But it was early in my diagnosis and I was depressed and I was thinking maybe it really wasn't that bad. And the gluten-free food choices were no where near as good as they are now (or as available). I bought a roll of that sugar cookie dough and ate a ton of cookies. I was miserable. I cried and cried. Fell back into depression. Nauseau. Fatigue. Couldn't think. My husband had been on a business trip and when he came home he said "What did you do to yourself?"

I'll never ever cheat again. Even though other people frequently try to convince me that a little bit won't hurt and wouldn't it be worth it to eat something?

Not me.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

General opinion:

NOPE, CAN'T MAKE ME DO IT!!!!!!!!

somegirl2004 Newbie

I cheated about 2 days after I was diagnosed and didn't really have much information on Celiac at the time. (This was about 2 years ago) I worked in an orthopaedic clinic and one of the doctors was nice enough to buy the whole office pizza from Domino's. I figured I deserved one last gluten-filled pizza meal before I officially gave it up - besides what could two pieces of pizza do to me since I'd only been gluten free for 2 days?

Very stupid mistake.

Within an hour my face was flushing, I felt like I had a horrible flu/fever, and my stomach ached (these are my symptoms of eating gluten). I lived 30 minutes from work, so I had to drive home. I honestly didn't think I was going to make it home because I was so out of it that I almost swerved off the road a couple of times. When I got home, I took my temperature - 102 F. Let's just say I didn't go into work the next day.

Trust me -- as tempting as cheating may sound, it's not worth it! I haven't cheated since!

Gonbad Newbie

I had a positive blood test in late March during a physical. I stupidly asked for the test to be done since I had a family history. However I did have some symptoms but very mildly. I was scheduled for a Biopsy/Endoscope for early May and had been as gluten free as I could until then. The night before I went and ate at my favourite Pizza place here in Houston "Star Pizza." I ate a whole medium deep dish pizza and drank 2 pitchers of beer. My wife couldn't drink she is pregnant so I had her share too. I was fine the next day for my procedure. Went home and was fine. Got sick as a dog that night.

Now having said that and been gluten free for 3-4 months I seem to have more issues now from accidental glutenings than I did when I was not on a gluten free diet. Apparently I am what is described as a silent celiac. My biopsy only showed mild irritation and atrophy. Like I said I only had loose stools a few times a year and no other major issues. Since I have been gluten free I have become more sensitive. Mostly I think I should have just left things well enough alone. I was not having major issues, and I was aware if I started to in the future then I would know the most likely cause. One bonus has been that I suffer from severe migraines, especially after being in the heat, I have not had one since being gluten free. Trying to decide if that is worth it or not.

I plan on experimenting with a few things after my next Endoscope if my gut has healed up mostly. My next door neighbor is celiac. He drinks beer -- normal beer -- and doesn't react to it. He cannot drink wheat beer though. So I will give it a try. I will re-introduce oats in my diet completely. I do cheat on this one and have oatmeal for breakfast once in a blue moon. No reactions at all.

When I do have a reaction is not as severe as the ones described above. I get pretty bad cramps and may or may not have D, no nausea at all. The cramps will leave my abb's sore the next day like I had a very heavy workout.

I would look at like this. Its a Pavlov's dog scenario -- Cheat get sick and think your going die and that will pretty much kill that urge in the future.

jknnej Collaborator

Do NOT cheat! Thinking about it is fine and perfectly normal-but it is the same thing as cutting yourself or smoking cigarettes. The short term sickness alone is bad enough let alone the harm yiou are doing to your body. And if you cheat, you'll probably keep cheating...you could take years off of your life.

There are SO many delicious gluten-free treats you can have-pig out on Ben & Jerry's ice cream-a LOT of them are gluten-free! Or eat M& M's or a Butterfinger....there are gluten-free donuts...mmm

kerrih Rookie

Yeah, I really miss donuts and pizza the most. I have two children and it is hard when they are enduldging in those things. Six months into the gluten-free diet, I ate a donut. Sick Sick Sick for THREE weeks!!! I am glad I did it though. People bring donuts to work all the time and now I feel sick if I just smell them because of what happened.

Kerri

kerrih Rookie
I had a positive blood test in late March during a physical. I stupidly asked for the test to be done since I had a family history. However I did have some symptoms but very mildly. I was scheduled for a Biopsy/Endoscope for early May and had been as gluten free as I could until then. The night before I went and ate at my favourite Pizza place here in Houston "Star Pizza." I ate a whole medium deep dish pizza and drank 2 pitchers of beer. My wife couldn't drink she is pregnant so I had her share too. I was fine the next day for my procedure. Went home and was fine. Got sick as a dog that night.

Now having said that and been gluten free for 3-4 months I seem to have more issues now from accidental glutenings than I did when I was not on a gluten free diet. Apparently I am what is described as a silent celiac. My biopsy only showed mild irritation and atrophy. Like I said I only had loose stools a few times a year and no other major issues. Since I have been gluten free I have become more sensitive. Mostly I think I should have just left things well enough alone. I was not having major issues, and I was aware if I started to in the future then I would know the most likely cause. One bonus has been that I suffer from severe migraines, especially after being in the heat, I have not had one since being gluten free. Trying to decide if that is worth it or not.

I plan on experimenting with a few things after my next Endoscope if my gut has healed up mostly. My next door neighbor is celiac. He drinks beer -- normal beer -- and doesn't react to it. He cannot drink wheat beer though. So I will give it a try. I will re-introduce oats in my diet completely. I do cheat on this one and have oatmeal for breakfast once in a blue moon. No reactions at all.

When I do have a reaction is not as severe as the ones described above. I get pretty bad cramps and may or may not have D, no nausea at all. The cramps will leave my abb's sore the next day like I had a very heavy workout.

I would look at like this. Its a Pavlov's dog scenario -- Cheat get sick and think your going die and that will pretty much kill that urge in the future.

I am the same way with the post gluten-free diet ingestion of gluten. More severe symptoms now that I have been gluten-free.

Agree with the induldging. You almost have to so you will not even want to look at the stuff again. It was donuts for me and I was sick for three weeks after having been gluten-free for 6 months.

kerri

heathen Apprentice

i've never purposefully cheated, but i've been not as careful sometimes--and even that is so not worth it! i don't get so sick that i can't function, but i lose two to three days of productivity and just feel yucky. so not worth it.

miles2go Contributor

I have never been to the hospital after a glutening, but I would say if you are that fed up, try it for a little while and see what your bod tells you. It will tell you. Drive safely. :)

kbtoyssni Contributor

No, I never cheat. Going gluten free gave me my life back. There's no food that is so delicious to make me want to eat it and return to my brain-fogged, in pain state in which I cannot get off the couch. I like my current lifestyle too much to want to give it up for a piece of cake.

I also do a lot of gluten-free cooking and baking so there are very few things that I do not have a tasty gluten-free substitute for.

Archived