This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can You Be Glutened Topically?

TotalKnowledge

TotalKnowledge Apprentice

I had a skin prick test done today, or at least part of one. My blood pressure crashed in the middle of the test. I got light headed, dizzy, and nauseated. Although my blood pressure went back up after a short period of time, I felt bad for hours afterward. My scalp was flushed, my hands cold, and I felt shaky and confused.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Could it have been a reaction to the wheat? The allergist is saying its not an allergic reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

With a skin prick test you wouldn't be glutened topically, they would be injecting it under your skin and from there it would go into the bloodstream. That would be different from topical glutening in that usually refers to gluten exposure through putting a lotion or shampoo etc onto intact skin.

Could it be a reaction from having gluten injected, I would say possibly it is but I am not a medical professional. Many of us do get glutened from using topicals with gluten but that is thought to be from accidental injestion of the product or the product coming into contact with a mucous membrane.

If you were very nervous about the testing, and you have a fear of needles it could have also come from that causing an anxiety reaction which would cause an elevation in blood pressure and nausea.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Sounds similar to the reaction I get if my blood sugar gets too low.

angieInCA Apprentice

Sounds like a blood sugar crash to me also. Which can happen in times of extreme anxiety also.

GlutenGuy36 Contributor
I had a skin prick test done today, or at least part of one. My blood pressure crashed in the middle of the test. I got light headed, dizzy, and nauseated. Although my blood pressure went back up after a short period of time, I felt bad for hours afterward. My scalp was flushed, my hands cold, and I felt shaky and confused.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Could it have been a reaction to the wheat? The allergist is saying its not an allergic reaction.

I don't know about the skin prick test causing a reaction but, I do know that if you use topical products containing gluten such as moisturizers and lotions that you can have a reaction from it without it being ingested. I had a link of a doctor talking about it. If I can find it I will post it to you. I'm not just talking about Dermatitis Herpetiformis either. He went on to say how your skin is an organ and you absorb many things through it and some with Celiac Disease will have a gluten reaction if they use topical products with gluten in it on a regular basis without ingesting it.

I avoid it at all costs. Hope you feel better, Ted.

Yeah I meant to change the topic, after I posted I decided that wasn't what I meant, but I couldn't figure out how to change it so I didn't.

I had had a banana and a shake before going in so I don't think it was low blood sugar. If anything it would have been higher than normal.

Needles don't bother me though. My tattoos didn't bother me at all. My back is still a little sore, but everything else got better. Who knows.

:huh:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yeah I meant to change the topic, after I posted I decided that wasn't what I meant, but I couldn't figure out how to change it so I didn't.

I had had a banana and a shake before going in so I don't think it was low blood sugar. If anything it would have been higher than normal.

Needles don't bother me though. My tattoos didn't bother me at all. My back is still a little sore, but everything else got better. Who knows.

:huh:

Your reactions almost sound like you were going into shock, I hope they aren't going to repeat the test. I wonder if having wheat injected sent it very quickly into the bloodstream and into the brain causing your sympathetic nervous system to basically freak out. Did you find out if any of the skin pricks were positive?

For me tats and other needles seem so different. I have sat for up to 2 hours having a tattoo done but having them stick one of those darn teflon needles in my vein for an IV seems to hurt a lot more. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

TK,

Incomplete picture. Have you been diagnosed with Celiac disease? Did the allergist say he skin pricked you with wheat?

best regards, lm

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Once again, very hot topic. Obviously, for those who do not react to topical gluten, they believe gluten has to be ingested for a reaction...for those of us who do react to topical gluten, we know it only need touch us to cause a reaction. Those who do not react will never believe us, and those who do, will always share their reactions.

I do react, and I'm sorry you have to deal with this too.

Lisa Mentor

https://www.celiac.com/articles/35/1/Can-pr...iacs/Page1.html

Very few celiacs are likely to have any reaction to topical gluten contact. In order for a gut reaction to occur, it is likely that direct contact with the gut lumen is required. Many people with celiac disease have everyday contact with gluten (for instance, bakers with celiac disease who have contact everyday with wheat flour), and do not have any reaction to it. However, there are, on rare occasion, people who have had an anaphylactoid response to gluten, and these people should avoid gluten in all forms. Also, topical gluten breathed into the upper airways may cause symptoms of allergic rhetinitis in rare instances. If there is a simple alternative to a shampoo, cosmetic, etc., you may want to use the non gluten containing product.

TK,

Incomplete picture. Have you been diagnosed with Celiac disease? Did the allergist say he skin pricked you with wheat?

best regards, lm

Not by a doctor, but I am pretty certain I have it. If not Celiac's then Gluten Intolerance. The problems that have resolved since going gluten free, and the fact that when I accidentally eat gluten I have a reaction have convinced me to not eat it anymore.

They did prick for wheat, and barley. I did not know this at the time, but went back and checked the ones they had already tested. There were of course other things in there egg, milk...

lovegrov Collaborator
I don't know about the skin prick test causing a reaction but, I do know that if you use topical products containing gluten such as moisturizers and lotions that you can have a reaction from it without it being ingested. I had a link of a doctor talking about it. If I can find it I will post it to you. I'm not just talking about Dermatitis Herpetiformis either. He went on to say how your skin is an organ and you absorb many things through it and some with Celiac Disease will have a gluten reaction if they use topical products with gluten in it on a regular basis without ingesting it.

I avoid it at all costs. Hope you feel better, Ted.

This is wrong. Protein molecules are simply too large to be absorbed through the skin. In fact, moisturizers and lotions are not absorbed into your body at all. They simply moisturize the outer layers of skin but do not break through the skin barrier. There are many, many things -- in fact, most things -- that cannot be absorbed through the skin. Yes, there are some medications (although not all, you'll note) applied through a patch, but even those medications have to be engineered with a special carrier to get through the skin barrier.

Here's part of a recent column by Tricia Thompson

The Gluten-Free Dietitian

Author The Gluten-Free Nutrition Guide

Co-author The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Eating

"The bottom line: There is no scientific evidence that the use of gluten-containing products that are not ingested is harmful to persons with celiac disease. This includes individuals with dermatitis herpetiformis.

According to Dr. Alessio Fasano, Medical Director of the Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland, "If you have celiac disease, then the application of gluten containing products to the skin should not be a problem, unless you have skin lesions that allow gluten to be absorbed systemically in great quantities.

"The reason why this should not be a problem is that, based on what we know right now, it is the oral ingestion of gluten that activates the immunological cascades leading to the autoimmune process typical of celiac disease."

There aren

Lisa16 Collaborator

TK--

questions of whether or not you can absorb gluten through the skin aside, it is possible to have gluten intolerance and/or celiac AND be allergic to wheat, barley, etc. You can have both conditions.

I don't thrink pricking the skin with it is quite the same as a topical reaction because they are putting it into your bloodstream. If I am wrong, somebody here wil certainly say so.

The celiac community here is divided on the skin absorption issue, and this is not likely to be resolved anytime soon.

My best advice for you is that if you think you may be allergic to it and if you think you have celiac disease and you suspect that you can absorb it through your skin, then avoid it altogether.

You got this far on your intuition, which seems to be pretty dead on.

Good luck!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
"The reason why this should not be a problem is that, based on what we know right now, it is the oral ingestion of gluten that activates the immunological cascades leading to the autoimmune process typical of celiac disease."

This is the key statement in Dr. Fasano's article. BASED ON WHAT WE KNOW RIGHT NOW...this says it all. They aren't sure, they just think they may be correct.

Jestgar Rising Star

My bottom line is "if it makes you feel bad, don't do it". It doesn't really matter what other people say, it's your body, and it's telling you what it doesn't like.

Jonbo Apprentice
This is the key statement in Dr. Fasano's article. BASED ON WHAT WE KNOW RIGHT NOW...this says it all. They aren't sure, they just think they may be correct.

The doc needs to find me then to figure out why smelling it sets it off since I'm not just getting a reaction to ingesting it. As for the topical thing based on what the OP has said, there must have been something else that set it off since it seems weird that you would crash so hard right after it. Probably going to have to do it again with the same situation and see what happens, and if the same thing occurs, then you need to narrow it down.

I've yet to have any topical reactions to touching gluten foods, but obviously if I have to touch something with Gluten, I make sure to rinse off hands or wipe them off very well if not near a sink.

GlutenGuy36 Contributor

I agree with the others that say if it makes you feel bad then try to avoid it all costs. I don't care what doctor said that it SHOULDN"T cause a reaction topically. If you look around you will see there are some that say they don't know for sure so it's best to avoid it.

lovegrov Collaborator

All I know is that I could roll in flour (not something I would do) and it would have no affect on me whatsoever. And I had DH. I guess some people have larger skin pores or no skin barrier at all. I trust the experts and my own tests.

richard

Archived