Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imanistj

Pet Peeve Regarding The Slaying Of The English Language.

OH, another one! My roomate, he has a thing for saying "just a bit" every 5 minutes or so....Just a bit.....Gimme Just a bit.....I could slap him LMAO. :P

My one SIL is notorious for being slow with pretty much everything she does. Her favorite saying is, "Give me two minutes. TWO minutes!" She will then hold up two fingers for effect. I have come to learn that when she says and does this, it is going to be a good hour before she gets done with whatever it was.

I no longer accept lunch dates with her. By the time we got our lunch, it would be dinner time! Dinner invitations were even worse. Even if we had reservations somewhere, she would have someone call and make a later one because she couldn't get ready in time.

Join eNewsletter

This time of year I hear a lot of people talking about punkins. Yesterday, a woman who uses this pronounciation recommended to another woman that she eat rooterbaygers (rutabagas) instead of potatoes. She also mentioned something about the casseen (casein) pronouced "cayseen" in some sort of cheese.

My daughter is currently driving me nuts with what she calls "talking like a teenager". This is done in a nasally voice and uses the phrases of "Oh my gosh!", and "I know...", over and over again. It is annoying enough to hear tweens (as she is) and teens using it, but I know of some adults who talk like this.

One woman also uses the word (if you can call it that), "um" frequently in her sentences. To make it even more annoying, as she says "um", she spreads her fingers out in front of her eyes and looks at them quizzically. She also talks very slowly. Once, she was telling us the story of how her boss died and it took her so long to get to the end of the story that I felt I knew how she was going to die and I feared I was going to have to do it to put myself out of the misery of listening to her.

I used to have a friend who tossed in "and stuff..." in almost every sentence.

I also hate it when people mutter-talk things that don't make a lot of sense and then add quickly, "You know what I'm sayin'...". Nope! I haven't a clue!

Join eNewsletter

I maybe could think this was funny, if I didn't live in the thick of 'em.

And we all know, Lisa, that eastern Cackalacky has an accent unto itself. :D:lol::P And the only reason I can say that is because I'm from Tidewatah and we say Porchmith and Nahfik. (The cities of Portsmouth and Norfolk, respectively, to those who are not familiar with the area)

Accents don't bother me, they make life interesting... bad grammar, not so much. People should know how to speak their language, whatever it is.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

Like, I'm totally like one of those people who use "like", like, all the freakin time. It like drives me totally freakin crazy that I've been doing it like since the 6th grade and like, I can't freakin stop. Now I like have an 8 y/o girl who says it, like, all the time and it makes it like so much harder to stop!!! :lol::lol:

Also, supposebly instead of supposedly

And brefkist instead of breakfast

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

This time of year I hear a lot of people talking about punkins. Yesterday, a woman who uses this pronounciation recommended to another woman that she eat rooterbaygers (rutabagas) instead of potatoes. She also mentioned something about the casseen (casein) pronouced "cayseen" in some sort of cheese.

My daughter is currently driving me nuts with what she calls "talking like a teenager". This is done in a nasally voice and uses the phrases of "Oh my gosh!", and "I know...", over and over again. It is annoying enough to hear tweens (as she is) and teens using it, but I know of some adults who talk like this.

One woman also uses the word (if you can call it that), "um" frequently in her sentences. To make it even more annoying, as she says "um", she spreads her fingers out in front of her eyes and looks at them quizzically. She also talks very slowly. Once, she was telling us the story of how her boss died and it took her so long to get to the end of the story that I felt I knew how she was going to die and I feared I was going to have to do it to put myself out of the misery of listening to her.

I used to have a friend who tossed in "and stuff..." in almost every sentence.

I also hate it when people mutter-talk things that don't make a lot of sense and then add quickly, "You know what I'm sayin'...". Nope! I haven't a clue!

Joolze, would you PLEEEZE quit talking about me, I'm, um, like right here! :lol::lol::lol:

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

You know, what bugs me is, you know, like, sports figures who are interviewed on, like, you know, television, after, like, you know, the game is over, and they want to tell us about, you know, the game.

NO, I DON'T KNOW! That's why you're being interviewed, so, like, you know, you can tell us what WE DON'T (YET) KNOW!! :angry: If we knew, you wouldn't be here at all.

:huh:

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

I've only seen this one recently (past four years or so), but it really annoys me when people say "that's a mute point". It is not a point unable to communicate. It is a MOOT point. As in "The adj. senses of "debatable" and "not worth considering" arose from moot case, earlier simply moot (n.) "discussion of a hypothetical law case" (1531), in law student jargon, in ref. to students gathering to test their skills in mock cases" (etymology reference, or <a href="http://&quot;http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moot&quot;" target="external ugc nofollow">Wikipedia, if you prefer.</a>).

There are a couple other ones like this, where people use a homophone instead of the proper word. The texting equivalent of this (u for you) in non-texting contexts also drives me batty.

Remember the "Friends" episode where Joey said "It's a Moo Point!"? Then he explained that "it's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter. It's moo." :D

Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

Join eNewsletter

I am currently nauseated (but definitely not nauseous) every time I hear or read the word-----YUMMY!!!!! Not only on this list, although the use of the word is rampant here, but also TV, radio and newspapers are overdoing this trite word. Like, I go----I can't stand it :P

,Nancy

Sorry, I am very guilty :huh::huh:

How about "I axed him" instead of "asked"?

Join eNewsletter

Ok since we are on a Celiac forum, I don't get why people call Celiac...Celiacs? Where did that "s" come from? I have Celiacs disease? No, it's Celiac, there is no s. :blink:

My best friend since I was eight, she says fixing dinner. I use to ask her if dinner was broken. She would glare at me....hehe. I love her! But I have to tease her. She does the same thing with Walmart or Target, it's Walmarts or Targets...where the heck are all these "s" coming from??? <_<

LOL fun post! B)

I'm fixing dinner, fixing to go to bed :o It's the ONE Southernism I can't shake :huh:

Join eNewsletter

OHHHH..this is right up my alley. Being from the Northeast, having moved south was quite an adjustment. One syllable words are two, and vice versa. (that's one right there people saying visA versa...VICE versa) or Real A tor, instead of REAL tor. At a job I had for the longest time I thought a man at work's name was DEEK. It was actually Dick. And FayETville is pronounced FATEville. Hell and Hail are both pronounced the same. And instead of "I could use a drink" I MIGHT could use a drink! (HUH?)

Someone who AKS a question instead of ASKING makes me almost explode.

This is fun... :P

Oh, how about "I used to could"! My entire family (from the South) uses that expression B)B) Translation: I once was able to do that.

Join eNewsletter

I'm fixing dinner, fixing to go to bed :o It's the ONE Southernism I can't shake :huh:

Then howinell did I pick that up in California. I "fix" dinner all time; sounds very crooked :lol:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Then howinell did I pick that up in California. I "fix" dinner all time; sounds very crooked :lol:

My little boys, CA bon and bred, say it all the time :o Really makes me say :o

Join eNewsletter

Like, I'm totally like one of those people who use "like", like, all the freakin time. It like drives me totally freakin crazy that I've been doing it like since the 6th grade and like, I can't freakin stop. Now I like have an 8 y/o girl who says it, like, all the time and it makes it like so much harder to stop!!! :lol::lol:

Also, supposebly instead of supposedly

And brefkist instead of breakfast

My friend says supposingly. She also says seen when shen means saw.

Join eNewsletter

"..and I'm all like.."

"....and he's all like..."

"...and then I'm like..., and he's like..."

"...and like I go..."

*chuckle*

Ok since we are on a Celiac forum, I don't get why people call Celiac...Celiacs? Where did that "s" come from? I have Celiacs disease? No, it's Celiac, there is no s. :blink:

Oh yes!!

You are all cracking me up!!! :lol:

'MY BAD' (I know, I know ..it's an American thing...but why not 'it's my fault'?)

Also....'he borrowed it me'... :huh: ...meaning' he lent it to me'

There's loads more...must think...

WHO said the psillies on the 'Tickle my Elbow' thread carve up the INglish langwij??

:lol:

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Join eNewsletter

My local supermarket is Wegmans. I believe the name is plural because two Wegman brothers started the company. There are several Wegmans in my area. Wegmans employees in the gluten free aisle are quite knowledgeable. Sometimes I feel I HAVE to add an apostrophe because I am afraid I will appear uneducated if I don't. Still, it is their company and they chose not to use an apostrophe when they named their store/s.

Nancy

I really am an ISTJ (Myers-Briggs Personality Type).

Responsible pet owners spay and neuter.

Please Google prosopagnosia, a neurological deficit also called facial amnesia or faceblind. Yup, I have it.

Poor me--gluten free.

I'll have a grilled cheese sandwich--hold the bread.

Join eNewsletter

Remember the "Friends" episode where Joey said "It's a Moo Point!"? Then he explained that "it's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter. It's moo." :D

We say that all the time! It's a "moo" point... ha ha ha.

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Join eNewsletter

,Nancy

Sorry, I am very guilty :huh::huh:

How about "I axed him" instead of "asked"?

My daughter asked her friend, "Please explain to me how you look at the letters A-S-K and get axed?? ha ha. I don't remember what he said in reply.

Saying "I seen" rather than "I saw" makes me cringe too.

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Join eNewsletter

I cant stand to hear when someone comes in the x-ray department and the say at the reception desk "I'm here for some testes." Your here for WHAT? :o Tests I can completely understand but I thought the others were part of the male anatomy. Another one is vomiking for vomiting. And then there is diarearer for diarrhea. Oh and there are the people who mash their thumbs or whatever. So does that mean you smash potatoes? :lol:

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Join eNewsletter

Oh, how about "I used to could"! My entire family (from the South) uses that expression B)B) Translation: I once was able to do that.

Another one I had a hard time getting used to was reckon. I just had never heard the word used so much. Then there is the phrase that I hear alot "Bless your heart." I hear that mostly when people are having a hard time, sick or bad luck or something. I guess it seems to me a nicer way to say "I'm sorry for you."

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Join eNewsletter

Oh and there are the people who mash their thumbs or whatever. So does that mean you smash potatoes? :lol:

:lol: Yes!!

I'm bound to offend someone here but since we're on the subject anyway.....the phrase "good to go" sets my teeth on edge.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

:lol: Yes!!

I'm bound to offend someone here but since we're on the subject anyway.....the phrase "good to go" sets my teeth on edge.

I don't think so we are all just having a little fun! :D

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

Join eNewsletter

Yes, you disperse them in the X-ray Department.

I know of a few people I would like to give them to! :lol:

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter