Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imanistj

Pet Peeve Regarding The Slaying Of The English Language.

That's funny. My mom liked to eat tortilla chips. She woud say the "ll" in english as l's instead of the "y" sound.

My husband thinks it's funny to pronounce the "j" in there. Nobody else ever thinks so though. My dad asks for corn "torteelias". *cringe* My mom ordered "crewsonts" for croissants. I didn't do well with French but I do know how that is pronouced.

Join eNewsletter

My husband thinks it's funny to pronounce the "j" in there. Nobody else ever thinks so though. My dad asks for corn "torteelias". *cringe* My mom ordered "crewsonts" for croissants. I didn't do well with French but I do know how that is pronouced.

Lol... I do twitch a bit every time someone pronounces croissant with a "t". ;)

I use tummy all the time, but specifically for "the pregnant tummy/belly". It's not quite an abdomen (well, not after a while) and it's not a stomach. And it's not even just a uterus - it's a mass of rearranged and unusually sized things in the region between the breasts and pubic bone. I'm sticking with tummy or belly until I'm done with the postnatal period. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Oh....Oh....I just remembered another one that quite a few people on LI seem to use......supposenly instead of supposedly. I don't even bother correcting them anymore!

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

One of my colleagues pronounces "heirloom" as "hair" loom. And once I saw a sign at a farmer's market where they were selling "air lum" tomatoes.

Here in Minnesota, because of the German influence, we will ask you (when we go to the store, for example) "Do you want to come with?"

Many people around here will pronounce a th as a T. So we hear "Tursday." Apparently this comes from an a certain ethnic group that immigrated here in the 19th century (Bohemians, I think).

And then there are the dreaded words: sucker (from a tree, which some people pronounce as "sooker,") gist (which some people say with a hard g--list grist without the t) and giblets (also said often with the hard g.)

Join eNewsletter

That's funny. My mom liked to eat tortilla chips. She woud say the "ll" in english as l's instead of the "y" sound.

That reminded me. My late mother used to love to eat at El Pollo Loco. Let's see if I can do this:

"el polla locka" :D

Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

Join eNewsletter

:blink: :blink:

Where in Sam Hill do you live???

North Carolina...

I had a friend who liked Mexican food. Anytime we went out to eat, she ordered

Freheetas

What is a freheeta?

Also when my mom goes to a mexican restaurant she will over pronounce things...as if she's talking to a baby..."Can I have verde sauce....green...ver-de....sauce"

OOHHhh and woooder for water.

dawg instead of dog. Gawd instead of God, Cawfee for coffee, or poieem for poem.

Any incorrect emphasis on syllables drives me insane. Like SOURcream, hotSAUCE, CREAMcheese. Maybe they aren't incorrect, but it sounds weird to me.

-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.

-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!

-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.

-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.

"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

Join eNewsletter

That reminded me. My late mother used to love to eat at El Pollo Loco. Let's see if I can do this:

"el polla locka" :D

bwahahahahahaha! :lol:

-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.

-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!

-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.

-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.

"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

Join eNewsletter

Many people around here will pronounce a th as a T. So we hear "Tursday." Apparently this comes from an a certain ethnic group that immigrated here in the 19th century (Bohemians, I think).

My MIL (English/Welsh) always said Saraday for Saturday :huh: And then there are the Mundy, Toosdy, Wensdy types :lol:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

North Carolina is a big state. Swimmr lives on the other end. :P

You mean the mountain folk end???? :lol::lol::lol:

Swimmr... I heard that everyday growing up in southeastern VA. E V E R Y D A Y

The city I grew up in had a language specific to it's inhabitants. Skreet, pruncil (for pencil), fity cent, the list could go on and on, and on, and on.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

Celiac's AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I have Lyme's Disease too. You know, named after that famous guy Joe Lyme :lol:

We were just talking today about my dad. I Love him but...... Alzheimer's Disease.

Everyone in his retirement community has All timer's Disease.

He loves those hyBIRD cars.

Bush was a war mongler.

I don't even notice it anymore because I'd cry :lol:

I'm teaching ESL right now and they speak English better than at least 50% of native speakers! I'm also teaching a college writing course and if I see one more its/it's mistake, I'm flunking 'em all and going out for frejitas, tortiLLas and margaritas!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

..."Can I have verde sauce....green...ver-de....sauce"

This reminds me......

Our local high school has The PAC......Performing Arts Center

Almost EVERYBODY calls it The PAC Center <_<

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Join eNewsletter

"PIN Number" Doh--it stands for Personal Identification Number. Redundant tautology, n'est-ce pas? :huh:

"ATM Machine" - Uh, what did you think the M stood for? Money?

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Then you would really hate it when people say JU ly for July and IN surance stressining on the in.(not sure how to type it to convey the mispronuncion).

I had a High School Spanish teacher that used the phrase . . . "you're putting the em-PHAS-is on the wrong syl-LAB-le" when he was correcting our (spanish) pronounciation. I want to use that phrase on other people . . . but keep it to myself instead.

Oh then there is warsh for wash. How did that r get in there?

Speaking as someone who was brought up in an environment that "warshed" clothes and "warshed" dishes, I can tell you that it was my mother that put the R in there. When I went to college and was teased about "warsh", I learned how to say "wash". Here's the rub (<--does that one get on anyone's nerves? :P ) . . . after I learned how to say "wash", when I was home for the occassional visit from college, I would get teased about saying "waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhsh" (said drawn out in a sing-song voice.)

And my addition . . . people ordering their food "to go" in the drive-thru.

Notice to all ye psillies . . . I'm keeping track of which phrases annoy you most . . . to be used at the appropriate (button-pushing) times on the Tickle thread . . . bwaaahhhaaahhhaaaa!

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

Notice to all ye psillies . . . I'm keeping track of which phrases annoy you most . . . to be used at the appropriate (button-pushing) times on the Tickle thread . . . bwaaahhhaaahhhaaaa!

Em's way ahead of you, picked it up and referred to "youse Yanks" when talking about TG. Button already pushed :o

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

One of my colleagues pronounces "heirloom" as "hair" loom. And once I saw a sign at a farmer's market where they were selling "air lum" tomatoes.

Here in Minnesota, because of the German influence, we will ask you (when we go to the store, for example) "Do you want to come with?"

And then there are the dreaded words: sucker (from a tree, which some people pronounce as "sooker,") gist (which some people say with a hard g--list grist without the t) and giblets (also said often with the hard g.)

I was watching a cooking show and I swear the chef first said giblets with the hard "g" and then later said it right.

Join eNewsletter

Don't have time to read the whole thread right now - sorry if this is a repeat. . .

It makes my skin crawl when people say "I could care less"...that means you still care some. If you have to say it say "I couldn't care less."

Oh, and PACifically instead of SPECifically...grrrr!

My mom is famous for mispronouncing words ....adding letters....albLum instead of album....Pattren instead of pattern. For some reason her goofs just make me chuckle, though.

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Join eNewsletter

I mostly just get frustrated at myself when I keep pronouncing anemone as "anenome". Every since I was a kid, ah-nen-oh-mee, sounded right, and ah-nehm-oh-nee was hard to pronounce. Unfortunately, as we have a reef tank, which has four anemones in it, this actually does come up frequently! :lol:

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

I mostly just get frustrated at myself when I keep pronouncing anemone as "anenome". Every since I was a kid, ah-nen-oh-mee, sounded right, and ah-nehm-oh-nee was hard to pronounce. Unfortunately, as we have a reef tank, which has four anemones in it, this actually does come up frequently! :lol:

We were at an aquarium one time and a little girl pointed one out to her mom and pointed out an anemone, saying it correctly. Her mom said, "That's not right! It an A-KNEE-Moan." What a moment! I didn't want to correct the mom in front of her little girl, so I pulled my son over and said, "Oh! What a pretty ah-nehm-oh-nee!"

Join eNewsletter

I'll tell one on myself. I grew up hearing Massachusetts pronounced as Mass-a-two-sh!ts. ..

Ah, now we're talking about Mondegreens (As in "They shot poor Edward dead, and Lady Mondegreen)" which was actually "laid 'im on de green")

And I'll tell one on myself, as not a native born American (so can be excused) :P The Star Spangled Banner: "And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave truth to the lie that our flag was till there." :lol:

Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009