This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's gluten-free Oats

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

So are Gluten free Oats (specifically Bob's) safe for ALL Celiacs? I thought I read something about some celiacs (25%???) reacting to gluten-free oats not because of CC, but because the oats themselves caused a gluten or gluten like reaction.

I bought the Bob's for hubby, but now they are calling for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I like oats too. What you said is true but you won't know until you try. So, if you've been gluten-free long enough to have healed a good bit, start with a small portion and see how it goes. If all seems well, have a bit more next time. It is receommended to gradually re-introduce. Hope they work out for you!

missy'smom Collaborator

A tip on baking with the Bob's: You may want to give them a short whirl in the food processor. The gluten-free oats seem a bit heartier to me as compared with the mainstream.

Roda Rising Star

Give them a try. There are many celiacs that can eat them. Makes me jelous since I really miss oats. <_<:D I tried these ones after I had been gluten free for 7 months. I reacted really bad. If I acidently eat something contaminated or something with a very small amount of gluten I get heartburn fairly quickly. I had cookies with them in and I ate about 6 cookies. With in a 1/2 hr I had the heartburn. I was not entirly sure it was the oats, so the next day I ate 2 more cookies. The heartburn kicked in and then I had such pain from gas/bloating I was lying in bed in a fetal position. I took some stuff for the heartburn and gas and it finally subsided. I remained bloated for about five days after with constipation. I have not tried oats since. It's been 5 months since I tried them and I was actually thinking about trying again sometime soon to see if I have the same reaction. If I do, then that will just reinforce to me that I'm intolerant of oats. Good luck.

tarnalberry Community Regular

It's approximately 10% of celiacs who react to avenin, the main protein in oats. There's no way to know if you react to it unless you try it out.

Lynayah Enthusiast
It's approximately 10% of celiacs who react to avenin, the main protein in oats. There's no way to know if you react to it unless you try it out.

That is great information - thank you. PS: LOVE your dog photo!

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

How long is long enough to have healed a good bit? The standard I keep hearing is 6 months, is that about right? I know it is different for everyone, but generally speaking. I've been gluten-free for just over 5 months and I would really like to give oats a try.

I can't find any certified gluten-free oats here in Winnipeg though! If anyone knows of anywhere I can get them I'd love to give them a try :)

Thanks,

Jillian

I like oats too. What you said is true but you won't know until you try. So, if you've been gluten-free long enough to have healed a good bit, start with a small portion and see how it goes. If all seems well, have a bit more next time. It is receommended to gradually re-introduce. Hope they work out for you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator
How long is long enough to have healed a good bit? The standard I keep hearing is 6 months, is that about right? I know it is different for everyone, but generally speaking. I've been gluten-free for just over 5 months and I would really like to give oats a try.

I can't find any certified gluten-free oats here in Winnipeg though! If anyone knows of anywhere I can get them I'd love to give them a try :)

Thanks,

Jillian

I'm sorry I don't know the time right off hand. May vary by the individual. Some have alot of damage or were sick many years before gluten-free so need more time to heal. I may have waited as long as a year. I don't remember exactly. I had no problems with them. There may be a resource here at Celiac.com or one of the national Celiac organizations may have a resource. GIG, CSA etc.

They can be ordered online. Gifts of Nature, Cream Hill Estates and Bob's Red Mill are the 3 brands that I know of.

Brooklyn528 Apprentice

I just got some oats that I need to try. Does anyone have a good gluten-free recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies that I could try them with? I think they are Cream Hill Estates. They are certified gluten-free. Grown in specific fields and such. Anyways, Like I said on a hunt for a good recipe. I have a pitch-in lunch for my newly started celiac disease support group on sunday. I am going to be baking all weekend.

Brooklyn

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Thanks for the info :) I will look into it.

I'm sorry I don't know the time right off hand. May vary by the individual. Some have alot of damage or were sick many years before gluten-free so need more time to heal. I may have waited as long as a year. I don't remember exactly. I had no problems with them. There may be a resource here at Celiac.com or one of the national Celiac organizations may have a resource. GIG, CSA etc.

They can be ordered online. Gifts of Nature, Cream Hill Estates and Bob's Red Mill are the 3 brands that I know of.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was gluten free for years before finding Bob's Certified gluten-free Oats. Tried 'em and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!! They take a while to cook, but they are delicious. I only have them occasionally.

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter's pediatrician wanted her to wait 6 months and have her follow-up blood work be OK so he knew we were doing well adhering to the diet. So we I patiently waited and after six months I made oatmeal cookies. I gave one to my daughter she took a couple of bites and said she didn't like them . . . <_< . . . :lol: . . . well, she didn't react anyway . . . and it's another ingredient that I can use in my other cooking.

MagpieWrites Rookie
They take a while to cook, but they are delicious.

They really can be tasty - if they are taking too long in the morning to cook, can I suggest soaking them? I do this with both the Bob's Gluten Free rolled oats AND (my by far favorite) the Irish steel cut oats. Just toss them into the pan you will cook them in the morning with the liquid you plan to use (I like a 50/50 apple cider & water mix - than I don't need to add any sugar, just a sprinkle of salt and cinnamon) put a lid on it and either place in the fridge or - if you aren't using dairy to soak - just leave covered overnight on the stove. In the morning, just turn on the burner and start cooking.

The harder Irish oats that usually take 20-25 minutes to cook? Completely done the next morning in 5-8. The rolled oats are even faster. Texture is great too.

Archived