This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Udi's Bread

DMarie

Generic Apprentice

I bought 2 loaves for Christmas breakfast.(We were doing creme brulee french toast). We had never had it before then. I figured we give it a try since there is such a fan club here. We have gone through about 6 loaves since. We just went without bread before. The family can't seem to get enough.

I will never buy another brand of bread again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
larry mac Enthusiast

An update on my Udi's white loaf (what's left of it). I bought it Saturday morning. It was not frozen. I don't know how old it was when I got it, or if it had been frozen before.

Today at lunch I had a slice right out of the bag, with butter on it. It was just as delicsious as it was 3 days ago. I tell you it's a gluten-free miracle!

best regards, lm

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

lm,

Isn't funny how such a small, ugly looking, expensive loaf of bread can bring so much happiness to life!

Even the ends are good.

larry mac Enthusiast

Amen sister. Tonight I made sugar toast. :D

best regards, lm

hannahp57 Contributor

lm- the first thing i did when i brought home my loaf was pull one slice out and start eating it plain while making a piece of sugar toast with the other. hehe mmmm.... good!

Glamour Explorer

Local store just started carrying about a month ago and supposedly has an exclusive on it.

The last 2 times I have gone in to get some, I was told that the same 2 ladies from the burbs, come in and each buy a dozen or more loaves of it. Why don't they just order it directly. How much bread can someone eat in a week?

The store says they are going to place more orders, and might ration greedy people. Been lots of complaints. They get it in weekly and the same few people are buying most of the UDI's products.

I am going to request that whole foods get it and am writing UDI's a letter.

Some of us would just like to get a loaf or two to last a week or so.

Atlanta is too big a city for one store to carry it.

Lisa16 Collaborator

Everything people are saying about this bread is true.

But do NOT forget the muffins! Four to a pack in the freezer section at 6.29$. expensive, yeah-- BUT WHO CARES?? I like the blueberry ones the best, but there is also lemon streudel.

How are they doing this??? They are going to put knickkinick (I can never spell it right) right out of business.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cbear6301 Explorer

Our store has trouble carrying the udi's too...people clean off the shelf quickly. But as far as expensive, it is far cheaper than the kinicknick bread or the glutino. They run me between 6-8 dollars a loaf. Our local stores sell the udi bread for 4.79 a loaf. Heck, when I was eating whole grain, a fancy loaf of bread would cost me close to 3 or 4 dollars so I am willing to pay for an awesome loaf of gluten free bread :rolleyes:

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm in withdrawal. No Udi bread in the house. Off to the store, hope they are not out too.

Sunny34 Newbie

I looked on the Udi's website and couldn't find an ingredients list for their bread. Can someone fill me in before I order? Along with the gluten, I want to avoid millet, dairy, and bean flours.

Thanks so much!

Sunny

Ginsou Explorer

I looked on the Udi's website and couldn't find an ingredients list for their bread. Can someone fill me in before I order? Along with the gluten, I want to avoid millet, dairy, and bean flours.

Thanks so much!

Sunny

Ingredients in Udi's White Sandwich Bread: water, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, potato starch, canola oil, egg whites, sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder (sodium bicarbonate,cornstarch,calcium sulfate,monocalcium phosphate),cultured dextrose, ascorbic acid (ascorbic acid, microcrystalline cellulose,corn starch), enzymes. Contains: eggs

Gluten,dairy,soy,nut free.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Back from the store. They only had Udi's white bread on the shelf. I took all but two of them. They maybe getting a delivery today or tomorrow with the multigrain. May have to go back!

I picked up their lemon and their blueberry muffins. I've had the blueberry before, very good. Hope the lemon is too.

Sunny34 Newbie

Ingredients in Udi's White Sandwich Bread: water, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, potato starch, canola oil, egg whites, sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder (sodium bicarbonate,cornstarch,calcium sulfate,monocalcium phosphate),cultured dextrose, ascorbic acid (ascorbic acid, microcrystalline cellulose,corn starch), enzymes. Contains: eggs

Gluten,dairy,soy,nut free.

Thanks so much!!! I can eat it! I'm going to order right now...

--Sunny

Ginsou Explorer

Thanks so much!!! I can eat it! I'm going to order right now...

--Sunny

Sorry, but I don't have any multi-grain bread left to check the ingredients.....I really like the multi-grain also.

MindytheOrganist Enthusiast

I am a huge fan of Udi's bread. It comes the closest to "regular" bread. Husband has celiac disease and he loves Udi's. He takes his lunch to work 3 days a week and being able to make him a regular sandiwhich like I used to before the diagnosis is very well worth the price.

Another decent bread is the Gluten-Free Pantry White Sandwich bread mix. It's not as convenient as Udi's as you have to make it, but it does taste pretty good.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I picked up some Udi's white bread this week. Anyone else notice that the loaf is bigger (taller)? I was shocked at the size when I went to make a sandwich.

larry mac Enthusiast

I may have jinxed myself with the miracle talk. Bought my second loaf of white yesterday. Sprouts instead of Whole Foods, and it was frozen.

I noticed it was a normal loaf shape, albiet very small and very short. When it thawed out, I found it to be somewhat hard, dry, and not near as tasty as my first loaf. It was very (I hate to even say it) gluten-free like.

I'm hoping this is only a temporary setback. I also bought a whole wheat loaf, also frozen, which I haven't tried yet. Saturday I will go to Whole Foods to see if their unfrozen loaves are better. I could tell instantly, just by feel, the difference between my two loaves. The good one was heavier for it's mass, and much softer. Unfortunately, it doesn't work when the loaf is frozen.

A real bummer, since Sprouts is having a 25% off gluten-free products sale. Plus, they are much cheaper (and closer to me) than Whole Foods.

I also had an UDI'S Lemon Crumbcake Muffin today. It was very good. Very soft, pretty spongy, and surprisingly light. But I can make excellant muffins myself. It's not that difficult once you pays you're dues and get on top of the learning curve. It is a big hassle however, all those ingredients.

best regards, lm

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I only buy my frozen. Haven't had any that are dry and icky. Our store can't keep it on their shelves so it's as fresh as can be. I'm off to make some coffee and try their lemon muffins.

minniejack Contributor

Love, love this bread. Even better than homemade. It looks and tastes so much like Wonderbread that I was worried this morning that I'd be getting a call from the school complaining that I gave my son wheat!

Darissa Contributor

I have been hearing things about Udi's Bread and that it is very good. I haven't bought a loaf of gluten free bread for awhile - because generally they are a dissapointment (and they cost too much to end up being disappointed in). I am particualarly interested in the claim that Udi's bread can be eaten without toasting. That really seems to good to be true. ;)

Has anyone had Udi's bread - and what do you think? Texture, softness, how long does it last?

Yes! It is so good! We bought it just today at our local Sprouts. It was in the freezer section. It was so good once it thawed. We ate it right out of the bag and it was not dry. We did try to toast some also, which was very good. My daughter is so excitied to have a good bread! I am excitied to have one that I don't have to make from scratch if I don't have time:) SHe can't wait to take a sandwhich to school tomorrow for her lunch!

• 2 months later...
ciavyn Contributor

I gotta add mine on here. Just got some at our local health store here in Camp Hill, PA (The Healthy Grocer). Holy cow. Definitely the closest thing I've eaten to real bread, and their blueberry muffins are to die for. As soon as I get paid, I'm going over to clean out their supply! $4.99/loaf too. It's yummy! I've had two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches today!

Gemini Experienced

Love, love this bread. Even better than homemade. It looks and tastes so much like Wonderbread that I was worried this morning that I'd be getting a call from the school complaining that I gave my son wheat!

I think you hit the key to this bread and why so many people like it. Anyone who likes soft, doughey, Wonder-bread type bread will love this brand. I intensely dislike Wonder-bread and white bread in general so I tried the multi grain. The toast it makes isn't nearly as good as other gluten-free breads I have had.

The denser a bread is, the more I like it. However, if you are a sandwich eater, of which I am not, you'll definitely love this bread because it's better not toasted and that's quite a switch where gluten-free bread is concerned.

ciavyn Contributor

I agree, Gemini. For just eating bread, give me Pamela's, any day. I love that darn stuff. A little honey butter...:slobbers: But for sandwiches...which never were a big deal to me, but they are now!...this is good stuff. And it doesn't get squishy or nasty by the end of the day. Yum.

GarAndTeed Rookie

I agree, Gemini. For just eating bread, give me Pamela's, any day. I love that darn stuff. A little honey butter...:slobbers: But for sandwiches...which never were a big deal to me, but they are now!...this is good stuff. And it doesn't get squishy or nasty by the end of the day. Yum.

Add me to the agreement gang! Udi's is pricey, but worth it, IMO. Makes great grilled cheese & hummus sandwiches! I always buy 2 or 3 loaves when it's on sale (and I, too, prefer the whole grain).:wub:

foodiegurl Collaborator

Add me to the list of fans! in addition to their bread, I love their muffins, pizza crust and bagels! I also stock up when i buy it, we go through way too much bread in a week.

Archived