This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oat- Oatmeal Yes/No

Bobbijo6681

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

I was diagnosed on Tuesday and have been on a roller coaster ride every since, and have not been to see a dietician yet to work on making all of the dietary changes that I will have to make. I am cutting out everything that I know of so far, but as I read on here I know that there is lots more that I will be learning in the coming weeks/months/years probably. My doctor told me to do my own research online until he can get me to see a dietician, as that would provide a lot of information for me. However I have found various reports on Oats-Oatmeal. Some websites say "NO WAY" others say "OK" as long as they are processed in a gluten-free facillity. I haven't had time to read everything on here yet, so if this is a repeat question I apologize, but what is the true thinking on oats? I am trying to find something that I can eat quickly in the am for breakfast. I am not a morning eater and wake up barely in time to get to work as scheduled, so making something at home will be difficult. I thought that if I could eat oatmeal I could easily make that at work when I am ready to eat.

I never realized how much I relied on "convenience" foods until I started looking at and reading labels. I feel like I am going to starve to death by the time I find something I can eat.

HELP!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm afraid there isn't an easy one-size-fits-all answer for this one.

Most commercial oats have been tested (independently) and shown to be contaminated with gluten, at levels above anything anyone considers possibly safe. (We're talking microscopic amounts here.) But, as you note, there are "certified gluten free" oats available.

However, the primary oat protein (avenin) is similar to the wheat protein (gliadin). Due to this, approximately 10% of celiacs react to pure oats (avenin) with the same internal reaction as they do to wheat (gliadin). So, for 10% of celiacs, oats are just as bad as wheat.

There is no objective test for this, unfortunately. And you have to decide if you want to do your own dietary testing with it.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I'd say you won't be able to tell until your small intestine are at least partially healed. I just added certified gluten-free oats into my diet in SMALL amounts and I've been gluten-free a bit less than three years. So far, so good.

There are other hot breakfast cereals that are very tasty. Just google hot gluten-free breakfast cereal.

Remember, fresh meats, vegetables and fruits are all gluten-free naturally. It's a good idea to eat a simply as you can for a while.

You'll get the hang of it!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Yep . . . you are going to just have to try it to find out. We were told to wait at least 6 months and to make sure it was gluten-free oatmeal by my daughter's GI.

Items that you can take with you:

yogurt

hard boiled eggs

somebody just posted a recipe for a nutrigrain type bar but I haven't tried it (and it may have called for oats, don't remember)

cereal - I actually prefer to eat my cereal dry and drink milk with it . . . I just can't stand even just barely soft/soggy cereal (It's a texture thing)

apples with peanut butter

we freeze our left over pancakes for quick heatups in the microwave (at home or at work)

make a batch of muffins and freeze most of them for a "grab as needed"

Also, think out of the box . . . you don't have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast.

Korwyn Explorer

Try buckwheat. It makes a great hot cereal (and is not 'wheat' despite the name). I'd suggest until you get a handle on some of the basics and are more comfortable with learning your healthy(ier) body's responses that you stay away from oats for the time being.

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

Thanks Everyone for your thoughts...I can see this is going to be much harder than I first thought. I honestly figured "oh I just can't eat bread-pasta," boy was I sadly mistaken...Definately not that easy. It will just take time, and practice. I am sure I will get it figured out. I know that I want to feel better so I have to make some changes thats for sure.

boysmom Explorer

I've been gluten-free for about 6 months now. I can only share that my experience was that while I got some better after going gluten-free, I got dramatically better after I gave up my oatmeal. I'd eaten oatmeal nearly every morning for breakfast for about 3 years. Some of the things I've found to replace it (warm cereal, soothing and substantial to start the day with) are quinoa flakes (I made it just like I had oatmeal in the microwave, but it doesn't take as long to cook) and Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. Often I just eat a bowl of yogurt with honey and flavored flax oil now, but if you're also sensitive/allergic to dairy that won't work for your situation. I have bought some of the gluten-free oats, but haven't yet tried them to see if I can handle those.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm reading the Living Gluten Free for Dummies book and it's very helpful. These boards have been great too.

The author is a not oats person, but like you said it's one of the undecided things. I have eaten gluten free oatmeal and I think it's okay, but I'm not positive because I'm only 9 days into the diet. I'm going to take it out for awhile and then challenge it later to give myself the best chance at healing.

Use the forum search and read about withdrawals so you don't get scared if you have them. I was extremely ill from a gluten overload which led to my diagnosis, so I was pretty sick for a week.

It takes some time for your digestive system to heal. I've been eating a simple diet, but a few times I've had more complicated, albeit gluten free foods and right now my digestive system can't handle it.

This is day 9 for me and my best day so far. Everyday I get a bit better and better.

gaingus Rookie

There are various options, like many people have said, it depends on your system. As for me, I can tolerate oats, as long as they are through places like bobs redmill. Unfortunately, they are not really a quick food. For quick breakfasts, I get instant grits. I know there are many of you out there that have assorted problems with them, but there are some of us that can eat them without problems. Here is another thread that goes over some brakfast options. https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=5867

They mention instead of Cream of Wheat, there is Cream of Buckwheat (Buckwheat is safe because it actually isnt wheat) and Cream of Rice. Personnaly, I haven't seen or tried those yet but will be on the lookout for them.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

There are various options, like many people have said, it depends on your system. As for me, I can tolerate oats, as long as they are through places like bobs redmill. Unfortunately, they are not really a quick food. For quick breakfasts, I get instant grits. I know there are many of you out there that have assorted problems with them, but there are some of us that can eat them without problems. Here is another thread that goes over some brakfast options. https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=5867

They mention instead of Cream of Wheat, there is Cream of Buckwheat (Buckwheat is safe because it actually isnt wheat) and Cream of Rice. Personnaly, I haven't seen or tried those yet but will be on the lookout for them.

Cream of rice is very good!

momxyz Contributor

I found your post interesting because oat meal had been one of my staple breadkfasts! I thought I could "get away with it" from time to time after going gluten-free this past summer.

Lately though, my rash, which was all but gone and the spots slowly fading, "reawakened" abit. I attributed it to grazing on leftover holiday chocolate at work... even tho it was just plain chocoloate with no nuts or crunchies...

But this thread made me realize that perhaps its my oatmeal! I hadn't been eating very much at all until after the holidays, when I discovered a box of the instant packets in the back of the pantry...While I haven't been having it every morning, I have been having it a lot more often than I had been.

Now that the box is gone, I'm not going to replace it...we'll see what happens...

kenlove Rising Star

Didnt have oatmeal for 5 years until a few weeks ago when they finally got the Bob's Gluten Free oats here in Hawaii. I'm pretty sensitive but had no problems with this and it was great to have oatmeal again.

Someone also mentioned buckwheat or Kasha or soba ( all the same thing) It's really good too.

ken

momxyz Contributor

Didnt have oatmeal for 5 years until a few weeks ago when they finally got the Bob's Gluten Free oats here in Hawaii. I'm pretty sensitive but had no problems with this and it was great to have oatmeal again.

Someone also mentioned buckwheat or Kasha or soba ( all the same thing) It's really good too.

ken

I was out and about earlier today, and my local health food store - a small local operation - had really beefed up their gluten free selections. I found myself staring at a bag of Bob's gluten free rolled oats!!

I almost got it... but I have decided that I am going to eliminate both the chocoloates and the oatmeal for this week.... and then if the rash quiets back down, maybe I'll go back and get the oatmeal...

I did look at some buck wheat too but for work I really need something I can microwave. (Bob's oats had microwave directions!) Have you prepared the buck wheat by microwave before? What's it taste like, is it kind of nutty?

kenlove Rising Star

buck wheat / kasha is kind of nutty and can have a nice texture. Its good at picking up flavors.

I was once served, in Japan, a bowel of it cooked in water and cherry tree leaves. it was fantastic.

Since then I tried adding some flavored jelly to the water and its good but not as good as that first time.

never did microwave it though.

take care

I was out and about earlier today, and my local health food store - a small local operation - had really beefed up their gluten free selections. I found myself staring at a bag of Bob's gluten free rolled oats!!

I almost got it... but I have decided that I am going to eliminate both the chocoloates and the oatmeal for this week.... and then if the rash quiets back down, maybe I'll go back and get the oatmeal...

I did look at some buck wheat too but for work I really need something I can microwave. (Bob's oats had microwave directions!) Have you prepared the buck wheat by microwave before? What's it taste like, is it kind of nutty?

emcmaster Collaborator

I eat "Only Oats" brand rolled oats and oat bran without problems, but I don't eat them everyday and I've been gluten-free for almost 4 years.

• 3 weeks later...
momxyz Contributor

Good news!

I picked up a bag of Bob's Red Mill gluten free oatmeal.... and guess what..on the bag there were instructions for microwave preparation! So now I have my own ziplocked portions of "instant" oatmeal to take to work.

yay!

Roda Rising Star

I tried Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats last June and had a very bad reaction. I probably won't try again.

Reba32 Rookie

If you get up early enough (like 5 minutes earlier than usual) I have an awesome recipe for a hot breakfast that really doesn't take too long to cook

per serving:

2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese

1 large egg

2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pie filling!)

stir these ingredients over low heat for about 2 minutes, then add:

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1 packet of sweetener (or 2 tsp of sugar I guess if you use sugar)

a pinch of salt

2 tablespoons of ground or milled flax seed

cook for another couple of minutes, and enjoy!

It's very filling, lotsa fibre, and tastes good too!

Mskedi Newbie

I had no idea there was Cream of Buckwheat! I'm going to have to try that... before this whole gluten-free endeavor, I had oatmeal or Cream of Wheat nearly every morning.

I do like hot rice cereal, but I'd like to branch out. I'm going to try gluten-free oats when I hit one year and cross my fingers that I'm one of the people who can handle them.

Archived