This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Please!

jenlex

jenlex Rookie

My 6 year old son was recently diagnosed with celiac. We are having a difficult time finding bread that tastes good and does not fall apart like old playdough or styrofoam! HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My 6 year old son was recently diagnosed with celiac. We are having a difficult time finding bread that tastes good and does not fall apart like old playdough or styrofoam! HELP!

My son likes the Brown Rice-Sorghum bread recipe found here. Open Original Shared Link

It's the third recipe. (The cut and paste didn't work properly because he has recipes for two different sized loafs.) Last week we had run out of gluten bread and my husband grabbed some gluten-free bread from the freezer and he said it was really good. He did have it warmed up since it had been frozen, but usually for sandwiches my son will just thaw it out and eat it room temperature.

Another bread recipe we use is Lorka's bread. If you do a search here you'll find it.

Good luck!

Wolicki Enthusiast

My son likes the Brown Rice-Sorghum bread recipe found here. Open Original Shared Link

It's the third recipe. (The cut and paste didn't work properly because he has recipes for two different sized loafs.) Last week we had run out of gluten bread and my husband grabbed some gluten-free bread from the freezer and he said it was really good. He did have it warmed up since it had been frozen, but usually for sandwiches my son will just thaw it out and eat it room temperature.

Another bread recipe we use is Lorka's bread. If you do a search here you'll find it.

Good luck!

I have my first loaf of Lorka's in the oven right now :D For store-bought, you can't go wrong with Udis white sandwhich bread or whole grain. Nice texture and delicious.

Darissa Contributor

We love Udi's whole grain bread. We find it in the freezer section of our local health food stores. It is really good warmed in the microwave for 20 sec or in a toaster. We also use it for French Bread for breakfast. It is really good. We have tried all the other brands in the store, and did not like any of them until we found this one. Worth a try. I hope you like it! Even my gluten eating husband and son like it (and thats saying a lot!!)

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We love Udi's. And I just checked their online price (with shipping) versus our local health food store and the price was the same. You do have to buy a bunch (8 I think) of loaves at the same time to make the shipping work out. If you don't have it locally anywhere, I'd just order it in bulk. It's frozen and keeps very well.

For mixes, we like Gluten Free Pantry white sandwich bread. But unlike Udi's this bread does taste different that gluten bread. If your son doesn't go for it yet, don't despair. Over time he will.

We also use Schar's, but we've been unable to get it to have a decent crust. It always looks strange and is really hard. The inside is great though.

We also use Gluten Free Pantry french bread mix. It has a thicker crust than the sandwich bread, but a lighter center. My son still doesn't like crust of any kind, so he likes this mix a lot.

Also, my son LOVES PB&J on pancakes (we use Pamela's). I had heard about people doing this a lot but waited almost a year before we tried it. It's YUMMY! And my son's friends at school thought pancake sandwiches were cool! I even had some moms comment to me that their kids were asking for pancake sandwiches!

mstroud Rookie

We gave up on the frozen gluten free breads and make our own using the Pamela's mix. My 3 sons (3,6, and 9) eat it and love it! It's not crumbly and keeps for days without drying out! We go through a loaf a week, but you could easily make it and then freeze half of it in slices to use later.

• 2 months later...
JenAnderson Rookie

We love Udi's whole grain bread. We find it in the freezer section of our local health food stores. It is really good warmed in the microwave for 20 sec or in a toaster. We also use it for French Bread for breakfast. It is really good. We have tried all the other brands in the store, and did not like any of them until we found this one. Worth a try. I hope you like it! Even my gluten eating husband and son like it (and thats saying a lot!!)

My two kids and I have tried several kinds of bread and have even made our own, but I have to say Udi's is awesome. It tastes the closest to regular bread so far. I especially like the multi grain (?) one. Their muffins are out of this world, too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
kbdy Apprentice

We use Pamela's as well. We buy it in bulk from Amazon. That's the best bread we've found so far, but haven't tried Udi's. We've had the same problem w/Schar's bread. Can't for the life of me figure out how to make it w/o the outside being like a brick!

missy'smom Collaborator

We use Pamela's as well. We buy it in bulk from Amazon... but haven't tried Udi's.

Same here. Udi's is just a bit pricey for us and kiddo likes the Pamela's so we order online too and freeze all but one package of mix. He shunned gluten-free bread for the longest time and just prefered to eat rice instead but he's quite happy with the Pamela's.

If you get some breads that he doesn't like, don't let them go to waste, you can make them more palatable by making them into french toast or grilled cheese sandwiches or process them in the food processor to use as breading for things like chicken nuggets or as breadcrumbs in meatloaf or meatballs etc. Just toss them in a ziplock and store in the freezer. Some people dry them. I don't.

seezee Explorer

I found that a bread maker really helps. They are about $100, but it makes life so much easier. I had bad luck with the bread in that it tended to collapse. We like the gluten free pantry favorite sandwich bread.

Grace'smom Explorer

Hi Jen

My child was just diagnosed yesterday. A good friend who is a college student called me last night and suggested Udi's bread, either the white or the multi grain. She's had celiac for several years and struggled with finding good bread. She discovered Udi's last week and said it is SO GOOD that she started to cry when she ate it. It does not fall apart and tastes good. I am going out today to buy both the white and the multi grain. (My daughter is used to eating wheat, so this will be a switch). I saw that someone else also recommended Udi's to you. A good sign! Good luck. Emily

luvs2eat Collaborator

No Udi's in my neck of the woods... No Pamela's mix either. I buy it from Amazon too. I combine my order w/ an order of Tinyada pasta and shipping is FREE!

I make Pamela's bread mix into rolls and even their bagel alternative. I love it!!

my.oh.my Newbie

Though I tried the Udi's Bread and was fascinated it's not to compare to my favorite Katz Gluten Free Sliced Challah Bread and White bread. The ingredients are pure ( great plus for me), the texture is unlike any other gluten-free bread I tried so far, and I just thaw them n eat them without toasting... :D

you should check their website for a store in your area carrying Katz GLuten Free bread since they are a new company and only started to branch out recently.

• 2 weeks later...
splinky Newbie

i love udi's but it's sometimes hard to find and i'd like to have hot out of the oven bread, sometimes. how does the pamela's bread mix compare with udi's for taste and texture? thanks

missy'smom Collaborator

More recently, I've been using a recipe from Living Without with Bette Hageman's flour blend, but potato starch is really expensive and hard to find.

Have you checked the asian markets, if there are any in your area? I buy a fairly good sized sack at ours for very little $. Same with tapioca starch.

Grace'smom Explorer

Jen,

By far the best we've had is Udi's... it comes in either white or multi grain. My 6 year old is so picky, and she absolutely loves it.. it tastes exactly like traditional white or multi grain bread and absolutely doesn't fall apart. The grocer told me to keep it in the freezer; so every morning I microwave 2 slices for 20 seconds to defrost it, then we make her a PB and J for lunch. A friend of mine who was diagnosed yrs ago told me about Udi's and said the first time she tried it, a few wks ago, she actually cried tears of joy becz it is as good as "real" bread. Give it a shot. Good luck. Emily

Archived