Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mareahf

What To Eat After Getting Sick?

I have been trying to manage my gluten-free diet the best I can but occasionally I get glutened (mainly from trusting others food or from eating out at restaurants). When I get sick I get very nauseous and it is hard for me to eat. Normally I just crave and eat fruit. I like the fruit drinks "naked" and I will eat just rice and beans. Does anyone know the best foods to eat when you are healing again? Is there any vitamins or medication that can help repair the gut? In short, what is the best way to get better fast?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Funny you right this! I just got glutened this weekend and feel AWFUL.

What I generally make for myself and am going to eat in small portions is plain rice, ground beef and some cheddar cheese - very bland but gives me some iron and protein to stay stable...seems to settle my stomach as well...When I was first diagnosed my doctor suggested (even for D) was to take a tablespoon of the regular Orange metamucil and drink it once a day. I'm trying that myself now.

I have been trying to manage my gluten-free diet the best I can but occasionally I get glutened (mainly from trusting others food or from eating out at restaurants). When I get sick I get very nauseous and it is hard for me to eat. Normally I just crave and eat fruit. I like the fruit drinks "naked" and I will eat just rice and beans. Does anyone know the best foods to eat when you are healing again? Is there any vitamins or medication that can help repair the gut? In short, what is the best way to get better fast?

Amanda

Positive TTG 9/05

Positive endoscopy 9/05

Doing well with "Sprue"

I do Old College Inn chicken broth, plain. Then some toast. Then I add a few gluten-free noodles if I feel up to it. Then I move on up to tea and fruit juice. and then I add a plain baked chicken breast and brown rice (I also adhere to the BRAT diet when I am recovering).

I hope you feel better soon!!

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

I find cream of buckwheat cereal to be very soothing. I also do gluten-free chicken broth with some Thai Kitchen rice noodles and toast with cinnamon sugar.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I like dry, starchy things and maybe some Pacific Chicken Broth.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I actually find it helps me to fast for at least half a day to one whole day. Not a true fast, just a food fast--I drink plenty of water, herbal tea and some carbonated beverages. Then I add something bland and comforting--Baked potatoes or chicken broth with rice noodles seem to be what I do most often because both take very little effort to prepare when I feel awful.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Rice noodles, applesauce, cooked carrots, a little turkey after I feel better. But I've only done that once and feel better fairly quickly.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

Does anyone know the best foods to eat when you are healing again? Is there any vitamins or medication that can help repair the gut? In short, what is the best way to get better fast?

Two words: Bentonite Clay

I mix a tablespoonful in an 8 ounce glass of water and swallow it down. It helps heal the small intestine and colon, and there's nothing better for neutralizing and moving things through the body faster. It has protective qualities and loads of minerals.

Google; "clay therapy" for more information.

White rice and bouillon for me. I switch to tea instead of coffee too. If I get sick for a few days, I'll stew a chicken as I feel better and make chicken and rice soup.

For toast i use Kinnikinik or Udi's. And the peppermint tea thing? Awesome! It always helps me feel better. I have been living off of toast lately, and probably will until I am better.

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Bigelow herbal tea seems to sooth my wretching stomach pain (right now it's constant comment but will try the mint).

And definitely bland stuff.

I like mashed potatoes with peas and butter. (even if instant potatoes to make at work)

OH! And aleeve for the pin pricks I feel in the muscles and joints.

Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!