This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Munich, No Schnitzel Or Beer Steins...paris, No Crepes And Pastries

The Glutenator

The Glutenator Contributor

I am about to embark on a 2 month backpacking trip to Europe. I'll be starting in Vienna and Prague. Fortunately, I'll be visiting a friend in Prague, who has a Cantonese roommate. SHe is being great. We are going to cook most of the time and make sushi, gluten-free pad thai, and go to a grocery store with gluten-free stuff so I can stock up for Vienna too (which apparently isn't very great with celiac). She also changed our brewery tour plans for a winery visit. After Vienna, however, things will be tricky. I'll be in Germany (Leipzig and Munich) for a week, then Paris, Geneva, Nice, Barcelona, Granada, Seville, and Madrid for the remainder of the 2 months. I am taking 2 cases (24 bars) of elev8me bars for snacks and breakfasts. That's less than one a day, but all I can fit in my bag. I don't have the money to eat out in places that will accommodate a gluten-free diet, but can't resort to cooking rice or pasta in the hostels like most backpackers because the cc in hostel kitchens will be out of control. I know I'll have to shell out a bit more dough than the average backpacker to get fruits and cheeses etc, but I am worried about being hungry all the time, not finding stuff when I am on the go at museums etc, and just don't want to be distracted from the scenery because I am worried about my next meal. I am also super bummed that I won't be able to have the local delicacies, but I guess that is a small price to pay for the whole celiac thing. Any support would be great. I am leaving two weeks today and am just getting pretty anxious about it all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Here's a really good blog post on Gluten-free products in Germany: Open Original Shared Link

I would love the chance to explore new stores looking for gluten free food. Before you go look up the phrase "Gluten Free" in all the different languages of the countries you will be visiting. That way you can look for it on the packages of food in the stores.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

And here's an article from this site about traveling gluten free in France: https://www.celiac.com/articles/21485/1/France-sans-Pain-How-to-Travel-Gluten-Free-in-France/Page1.html

It seems French health stores have a variety of Gluten free breads.

tictax707 Apprentice

Another thing you can do is ship yourself food to a hostel you will be staying at midway through the trip. It's not super cheap but if you do it now you may be able to save a little $$. Ship yourself more snack bars, etc. There are gluten free dehydrated meals out there too. Just add water, wait, and dinner is served. I used them on my last trip out of the country. There are gluten-free canned meals too - St. dalfour & organ. I can't say they are super yummy, but you do what you can, you know? Best of luck, and have a fantastic time!!

Gemini Experienced

I am about to embark on a 2 month backpacking trip to Europe. I'll be starting in Vienna and Prague. Fortunately, I'll be visiting a friend in Prague, who has a Cantonese roommate. SHe is being great. We are going to cook most of the time and make sushi, gluten-free pad thai, and go to a grocery store with gluten-free stuff so I can stock up for Vienna too (which apparently isn't very great with celiac). She also changed our brewery tour plans for a winery visit. After Vienna, however, things will be tricky. I'll be in Germany (Leipzig and Munich) for a week, then Paris, Geneva, Nice, Barcelona, Granada, Seville, and Madrid for the remainder of the 2 months. I am taking 2 cases (24 bars) of elev8me bars for snacks and breakfasts. That's less than one a day, but all I can fit in my bag. I don't have the money to eat out in places that will accommodate a gluten-free diet, but can't resort to cooking rice or pasta in the hostels like most backpackers because the cc in hostel kitchens will be out of control. I know I'll have to shell out a bit more dough than the average backpacker to get fruits and cheeses etc, but I am worried about being hungry all the time, not finding stuff when I am on the go at museums etc, and just don't want to be distracted from the scenery because I am worried about my next meal. I am also super bummed that I won't be able to have the local delicacies, but I guess that is a small price to pay for the whole celiac thing. Any support would be great. I am leaving two weeks today and am just getting pretty anxious about it all.

If you are concerned about being hungry all the time, concentrate on eating more protein, which you will need if you are backpacking. Potatoes are another great source of nutrients and keep you full. Protein is easy to do and find in restaurants and can be prepared gluten-free without much of a problem.

I think you will be surprised at how much Europeans know about Celiac. At least in Western Europe, I found it very easy to eat. You may have to eat out a little bit when you want a good, filling meal. However, there are cheap eats in Europe where this will be possible.

Not being able to have the local delicacies never bothered me at all. I hate being sick and none of it tempted me. It's horrible to get sick but doubly horrible when away from home so I doubt you will be really upset about it. The change of scenery and just being in all those fantastic places will distract you, big time. Have a marvelous journey and don't sweat the food so much because anyone willing to backpack through Europe must have a sense of adventure anyway.....once you feel comfortable, the food will be figured out.

Tina B Apprentice

I went to Budapest, Vienna and Prague for 2 weeks last summer and did not have a problem. At he hotels in Europe the breakfast buffets always contain way more fruits, yogurt and cheese than here in the US where a lot of the time it is bagels, danish etc. At the restaurants we had no problem finding menus in english and most europeans in the big tourist areas speak english. I stayed with grilled foods, potatoes, veges, etc. and had no problem asking questions. Only once I ordered a meat dish that said it came with risotto which turned out to be orzo so I just didn't eat that part. I found that their small convenience stores carry fruits, yogurts etc. Even the labels on a lot of things like granola bars were in multiple languages. Not like here where the convenience store have nothing fresh.

Tina B Apprentice

Another helpful site a guide to the grocery stores: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What about some foil to line pans so you can use them at the hostels? Or a small backpacking skillet or pan? or a backpacking coffee pot which is really just a taller pan to boil things in?

lucia Enthusiast

What about some foil to line pans so you can use them at the hostels? Or a small backpacking skillet or pan? or a backpacking coffee pot which is really just a taller pan to boil things in?

I'm so excited for your trip!!! What a great experience!

I think you'll find it's basically easier to eat in Europe than it would be if you were traveling across the U.S., because Europeans eat less processed foods. It's easy to find fresh fruits and vegetables, cheeses, unprocessed meats, olives, etc. in European groceries. In the U.S., farmers receive subsidies for growing corn, wheat, and soy which is why so many of our food products include forms of these. In Europe, farmers are subsidized for vegetable and fruit crops instead. Europeans have to pay out a lot in taxes for these subsidies, but that means that you can just walk into a grocery and get really fresh, good food. My most memorable meal in Barcelona was a sidewalk (literally) pit stop of cheese, olives, and grapes from a supermarket-like store several miles from the center.

I think if you can make use of kareng's suggestion (above), you'd be all set since you'd be able to cook. One tip: it's hard to find a decent grocery in tourist areas (since people don't live in those areas). If you're staying in hostels though, it shouldn't be an issue. Even if your hostel is in a heavy tourist area, you can always ask the staff where to go.

Another suggestion is to look for vegan/vegetarian restaurants. They should have a few items you can eat. They also tend to be cheaper than other restaurants. Your guidebook should have some suggestions. For a comprehensive list of these, check out Happy Cow:

Open Original Shared Link

And, finally, there are ethnic restaurants. Every European capital has an Indian restaurant, some Mediteranean places, and somewhere to get sushi.

Have tons of fun!

lucia

lucia Enthusiast

P.S.: I would be bummed too anticipating traveling through Europe and knowing I couldn't eat all the great food. I've been in that position for a long time to some degree since I'm a vegetarian. For what it's worth, I probably enjoy a good meal more after hunting around for it than I would if it was easier to find. I see tourists all the time in New York City's Chinatown deciding to go to McDonald's. It kills me. I know most of them could eat anything and that means at any of the great restaurants within striking distance, but instead they go for what they could find on any Interstate highway. I guess we appreciate things more when we have to work for them.

P.S.: I would be bummed too anticipating traveling through Europe and knowing I couldn't eat all the great food. I've been in that position for a long time to some degree since I'm a vegetarian. For what it's worth, I probably enjoy a good meal more after hunting around for it than I would if it was easier to find. I see tourists all the time in New York City's Chinatown deciding to go to McDonald's. It kills me. I know most of them could eat anything and that means at any of the great restaurants within striking distance, but instead they go for what they could find on any Interstate highway. I guess we appreciate things more when we have to work for them.

Thanks for saying this. I know, I know...I feel a bajillion times better after diagnosis and going gluten-free, but it still sucks a bit. My head says: if I had only found out about the celiac 4 months later this would be a non issue, haha. But stay positive!

And thank you, really, for all your help and advice. It is going to be an amazing trip. Maybe not the regular backpacker diet, but I will make do. I did find a listing for a place that makes gluten-free pizza in Barcelona...it is pricey but will be worth it near the end of the trip, I am sure.

One of my other concerns, however, is losing weight. I am pretty tiny right now and I have heard people who backpack can drop some pounds from all the walking...all this while indulging in fried schnitzels, beer, croissants, etc. I'll have to eat alot of produce and cheese to make up for all the exercise on a daily basis.

lucia Enthusiast

I don't know what your dietary restrictions are, but if you can eat cheese ... there's also milk chocolate bars (Swiss chocolate!), cappuccino, ice cream/gelato, and - in Spain - hot chocolate. Just make sure that you're getting drinks and ice-cream made from scratch, so no accidental gluten sneaks in.

I'd be really happy to be forced to eat European cheeses every day for 2 months. :)

I do LOVE cheese :) Though I have heard most European ice creams and gelatos contain gluten. Boo!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Not all schnitzel has bread coating. So no reason you can't eat it. Europe is much further head of the USA in gluten free eating. Take your dinner's cards.

For Germany:

Open Original Shared Link

I'm sure you can find online info on Paris.

You should be able to find Schar and Bi-Aglut products there since they are made in Europe. You will do fine.

Enjoy yourself. Be sure to come back here to list what fun things you did and where you found gluten free food. First it will help the next person who goes on vacation and second you will always have this to refer back to when you go again.

Mack the Knife Explorer

I completely understand where you are coming from.

I'm travelling to Germany at the end of the month for the Gay Games and I'm a bit worried about what I'll be able to eat. We booked our accommodation last year (before I was diagnosed) so we didn't get a room with cooking facilities. I think we have a minibar but that's it. I've spent 18 months training for the Games, and a lot of money to get there so I am really paranoid about getting sick and ruining my trip.

Afterward we're going to Salzburg, Vienna, Paris and Bruges. We have a room with a kitchenette in Paris but the rest of the trip I'll just have to cope. I've found a restaurant in Paris that is entirely gluten free so I am going to go there one night and splurge on a real French meal.

I'm not so fussed on missing out on local delicacies. I can have wine and cheese and that alone is enough to keep me happy in France.

kareng Grand Master

I completely understand where you are coming from.

I'm travelling to Germany at the end of the month for the Gay Games and I'm a bit worried about what I'll be able to eat. We booked our accommodation last year (before I was diagnosed) so we didn't get a room with cooking facilities. I think we have a minibar but that's it. I've spent 18 months training for the Games, and a lot of money to get there so I am really paranoid about getting sick and ruining my trip.

Afterward we're going to Salzburg, Vienna, Paris and Bruges. We have a room with a kitchenette in Paris but the rest of the trip I'll just have to cope. I've found a restaurant in Paris that is entirely gluten free so I am going to go there one night and splurge on a real French meal.

I'm not so fussed on missing out on local delicacies. I can have wine and cheese and that alone is enough to keep me happy in France.

I agree with wine, cheese, a little fruit... Maybe not the best for breakfast if you want to do something later. :P

What will you be competeing in? I know nothing of these games. I think I'll google them. I think a chance to compete and meet people from all over the world is an excellant event. :)

Mack the Knife Explorer

I agree with wine, cheese, a little fruit... Maybe not the best for breakfast if you want to do something later. :P

What will you be competeing in? I know nothing of these games. I think I'll google them. I think a chance to compete and meet people from all over the world is an excellant event. :)

Same sex Dancesports. We've entered the 35+ Ballroom and Latin events. We were going to do the ten dance but our Paso is too crap.

So I'm not just worried about getting sick and ruining my own trip. I'm worried about letting my partner down too.

And yes, it's going to be a great event. They have 12,000 registered competitors across all the sports. It's going to be a massive week! I can't wait!

kareng Grand Master

Same sex Dancesports. We've entered the 35+ Ballroom and Latin events. We were going to do the ten dance but our Paso is too crap.

So I'm not just worried about getting sick and ruining my own trip. I'm worried about letting my partner down too.

And yes, it's going to be a great event. They have 12,000 registered competitors across all the sports. It's going to be a massive week! I can't wait!

I went and looked at the website. Looks like some serious atheletes. Wish I could dance. Good luck! Have a great time!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Germany is so easy! Don't forget to look for gluten-free goodies in the DM and Rossman drugstores. I lived in Prague for two years and had no problems at all. If you have any problems or need help finding stuff to eat while you're there feel free to pm me. :)

Thanks so much!

mushroom Proficient

I see tourists all the time in New York City's Chinatown deciding to go to McDonald's. It kills me. I know most of them could eat anything and that means at any of the great restaurants within striking distance, but instead they go for what they could find on any Interstate highway.

Oh, doesn't that just get you!! I saw Americans flocking to McDonalds in Florence of all places. With all the great food in Tuscany, why would you do that??? And a saw a British couple insist on ordering fish and chips in a small sidewalk restaurant in Pisa that made the most fabuloso pizzas :unsure: . But of course my husband's aunt, who used to travel a lot, used to judge her whole vacation experience on whether or not she could get American food!

I have heard most european yogurts, ice creams, and gelatos have gluten. Does any one know more about this? I want to be safe if I stop for a cool treat!

gabby Enthusiast

Hi,

Here's my experience of traveling around Europe and some suggestions:

-First off, get some info on when the grocery stores and markets are open and closed. In lots of places everything is closed on Sundays, or they close early. Some places have weird hours and are closed for a few hours during the day. It pays to check.

There are lots of organic/health food stores all over europe. They don't use the word 'organic', instead they refer to things as being 'bio' or 'biological'. these 'bio' stores will generally carry a variety of products that are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, etc. Grab yourself some nut butters, potato chips, roasted nuts for treats that don't need refrigeration.

In my experience, plain yogurts, plain ricotta cheese, plain sour cream, plain sweet cream, plain milk is gluten free and available in single-servings at the grocery store and at some convenience stores. Keep a spoon in your purse at all times so you can enjoy these treats.

Ice cream is tricky...mostly because the ice cream is cross-contaminated from the cones. Also, at cafes and restaurants, it is quite common for them to put a little cookie on your plate. Be sure to tell them you want your drink with no cookies or treats.

At many cafes, you can get fresh squeezed orange juice or lemonade. These will be gluten free. Also, the juices served in little bottles is also gluten-free.

As for eating out....that could be tricky. In my experience, kitchens in restaurants are very small, and space is limited. There's no room for things like dedicated fryers and ovens. So the chance for CC is really high. After lots of disasters, I no longer eat out when traveling. Ever. I will go to restaurants with people...but I will only order a coffee or a bottle of mineral water.

for breakfast at a restaurant, ask them to boil you some eggs and to serve them to you in the shell. Ask them for fresh tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, and fresh fruit. If they try to offer you gluten free toast, ask them if they have a dedicated toaster/toaster oven.

Vegetarian restaurants can actaully be a problem because vegetarians can eat gluten....and there tends to be gluten-containing items all over the place (breads, sweets, desserts, thickened soups, veggies burgers on buns, etc.) Instead of a vegetarian place, opt for a place that serves fresh grilled fish (not breaded or deep fried). These places usually also carry meat for non-fish lovers, and then the meat can be grilled plain with just olive oil for you. But be aware of the rest of the menu....it is common for buns and other breads to be toasted ontop of the grill, thereby getting gluten on everything. Also, be aware of shell-fish soups because they are often mixed with bread crumbs.

Do not believe anyone who insists on telling you that their country has a special ancient variety of wheat that is naturally gluten-free. I've heard this story so many times it makes me crazy. Lots of people believe this...but I've investigated it thoroughly and it is not true. Also, people will tell you that a certain kind of bread is gluten free because it is corn bread, or rice flour bread. Go the extra mile and find out for sure what the other ingredients are in the bread. I find that usually the bread contains some corn meal, and the rest is wheat flour. Or that there is some rice flour, and the rest is wheat flour.

It also makes sense to ask a few extra questions when being offered food. Asking if it is gluten-free is not enough. Lots of people do not know that brown bread has gluten, or that rye bread has gluten, or that white flour has gluten, it goes on and on. So you've got to ask: does this contain wheat? Does it contain barley? Does it contain rye? What are the other ingredients? etc.

If you are going to any farmer's markets, be on the lookout for what the food vendor is eating behind the table. Often, vendors are munching away on sandwiches, donuts, cakes, pizza, etc and getting crumbs all over the food they are selling. Not a big problem if you are buying fruits. But a big problem if you are buying things like roasted nuts, seeds, dried fruits, candy, and sticky fruits like blue-berries and raspberries and sliced melons.

That's all I can think of right now. Have lots of fun on your trip. And be sure to give us an update on how everything went!

I really really appreciate all of this information.. Thanks! And I will fill you all in on the adventure when I get home :)

Tina B Apprentice

I do LOVE cheese :) Though I have heard most European ice creams and gelatos contain gluten. Boo!

Creme Brulee is gluten free. i have it in restaurants when it is on the menu. YUM!

Archived