This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

I love this thread -- hubby and I call it the "Hen Party" -- my dear MIL had a "Bridge" group for over 40 years that never played bridge -- took me about a decade to figure that out ;)

:lol: Cute about the "bridge" group. I should refer to this thread as "bridge" when talking about it to my husband so I don't have to say ten other words. ^_^ Lazy? A resounding yes.

This is the first forum I have joined that is really and truly fun. The other few forums I participate on are about travel and food and quite serious and passionate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

mushroom Proficient

This is the first forum I have joined that is really and truly fun. The other few forums I participate on are about travel and food and quite serious and passionate.

You can't be passionate about fun?? :blink::huh:

love2travel Mentor

Sorry - I worded my thoughts incorrectly. The others I am on can become heated because they are so intensely passionate about food ingredients and such ilk. Passionate to the point of anger. This is calmer, less intense and more relaxed (generally speaking). Believe me, I am passionate about fun! And food, too. ^_^ It is great to be passionate in what you do and do not believe in but sometimes the manner in which it comes across can be hurtful as I've seen on boards. Man, I am not explaining myself very well tonight. Sigh...

IrishHeart Veteran

I love this thread -- hubby and I call it the "Hen Party" -- my dear MIL had a "Bridge" group for over 40 years that never played bridge -- took me about a decade to figure that out ;)

Seriously, if we lived near each other we would have wicked good fun.....and this is of course, also my favorite thread.

Hubs knows when I have been reading it because I am laughing so hard

At night, I mumble in my sleep sometimes.....bacon, cabana boys, juniper berries, croatia, cheese, private compound.......

I think so! I am passionate about fun. I am passionate about everything I like.

I think she meant it in another way, though.

Like "angry".

Love2 and Ski and I were typing at the same time!! LOL

Edited by IrishHeart
GottaSki Mentor

Sorry - I worded my thoughts incorrectly. The others I am on can become heated because they are so intensely passionate about food ingredients and such ilk. Passionate to the point of anger. This is calmer, less intense and more relaxed (generally speaking). Believe me, I am passionate about fun! And food, too. ^_^ It is great to be passionate in what you do and do not believe in but sometimes the manner in which it comes across can be hurtful as I've seen on boards. Man, I am not explaining myself very well tonight. Sigh...

You explain yourself quite well -- completely understand -- hard on forums sometimes as it is hard to get the tone of the conversation when you can't see the person's mannerisms and animated gestures (I don't mean the rude ones)

love2travel Mentor

Seriously, if we lived near each other we would have wicked good fun.....and this is of course, also my favorite thread.

Hubs knows when I have been reading it because I am laughing so hard

At night, I mumble in my sleep sometimes.....bacon, cabana boys, juniper berries, croatia, cheese, private compound.......

I think so! I am passionate about fun. I am passionate about everything I like.

Me, too. I am extremely passionate about what I like as well as adamantly passionate about what I do not like at times, too!

IrishHeart Veteran

We know what you mean, sweetie-- :)you mean "aggressive" in the approach to the point of not listening to another?.

....yeah, we do not like that much on here either....and that's why this thread is the best.!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

You explain yourself quite well -- completely understand -- hard on forums sometimes as it is hard to get the tone of the conversation when you can't see the person's mannerisms and animated gestures (I don't mean the rude ones)

Thanks. It is so true that mannerisms, tone and even personality at times do not get across as you would like. And usually in the evenings I am in so much pain that my synapses have shorted out. :(

love2travel Mentor

We know what you mean, sweetie-- :)you mean "aggressive" in the approach to the point of not listening to another?.

....yeah, we do not like that much on here either....and that's why this thread is the best.

Yes! Exactly. Aggressive. Again, I could have summed it up in one word. Ah, well...

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks. It is so true that mannerisms, tone and even personality at times do not get across as you would like. And usually in the evenings I am in so much pain that my synapses have shorted out. :(

unfortunately we all understand this too -- all the more reason to giggle whenever possible :)

ps...any roosters reading along are welcome to join in the fun -- I happen to have three wonderful male chefs in my house -- of course they are all afraid of sticking their toe in a "Hen Party" -- all welcome to this delicious and fun thread!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

unfortunately we all understand this too -- all the more reason to giggle whenever possible :)

oh yes, laughing is a pain-reducer indeed. Takes the mind off it for a bit.

love2travel Mentor

oh yes, laughing is a pain-reducer indeed. Takes the mind off it for a bit.

So true. So, since I'm really hurting, I need to laugh more at this moment. My husband is downstairs and once he comes up I know he'll make me laugh. He is so very good at it. But until then, do or say something funny. Go on! Not wanting to take Tylenol #4 with codeine.

kareng Grand Master

So true. So, since I'm really hurting, I need to laugh more at this moment. My husband is downstairs and once he comes up I know he'll make me laugh. He is so very good at it. But until then, do or say something funny. Go on! Not wanting to take Tylenol #4 with codeine.

Think of the reactions of those " foodies" to some of the dinners we have posted on here. Like the gluten-free pretzels and wine or a bowl of Chex cereal

love2travel Mentor

Think of the reactions of those " foodies" to some of the dinners we have posted on here. Like the gluten-free pretzels and wine or a bowl of Chex cereal

Good one! :lol:

Takala Enthusiast

Something funny..... my topical allergies to hay are flaring up a bit... the other day I carefully wiped out all the dog crates, then pro-actively powdered each dog with diatomaceous earth, because I don't want to hit them with chemicals during the time of year that it's cold enough the fleas die if they go outside. We then took all the sheets off the bed and the comforters and washed them, and hung them out on the line (freakish sunny days here in early January, usually this is rain every day). Also washed the cat's blanket that she sleeps on the bed, and wiped down the bed rails. Then remade the bed and topped it with a fresh, white and pink handmade quilt we'd won a long time ago in a raffle. Not really my style, but it was clean. Put out a clean blankie towel for the cat on top. Who is very territorial about The Bed. This cat barely allows us to use it. :rolleyes:

Then we went somewhere, for only 2 hours, and the 2 larger dogs, who are Not Allowed in the bedroom, and who were not crated, snuck in there, and not only jumped UP ON THE BED, they nested on the white quilt, and they must have been under the Christmas tree first :blink: because now the quilt is covered in fuzzy black dog hair, dirt, hay wisps, diatomaceous earth dust, and pine needles. There is probably drool on it, too.

These dogs HAVE their OWN giant dog bed already in the living room ! :angry: Where is the damned guard cat ? Sleeping in the other bedroom, the slacker!

GottaSki Mentor

Something funny..... my topical allergies to hay are flaring up a bit... the other day I carefully wiped out all the dog crates, then pro-actively powdered each dog with diatomaceous earth, because I don't want to hit them with chemicals during the time of year that it's cold enough the fleas die if they go outside. We then took all the sheets off the bed and the comforters and washed them, and hung them out on the line (freakish sunny days here in early January, usually this is rain every day). Also washed the cat's blanket that she sleeps on the bed, and wiped down the bed rails. Then remade the bed and topped it with a fresh, white and pink handmade quilt we'd won a long time ago in a raffle. Not really my style, but it was clean. Put out a clean blankie towel for the cat on top. Who is very territorial about The Bed. This cat barely allows us to use it. :rolleyes:

Then we went somewhere, for only 2 hours, and the 2 larger dogs, who are Not Allowed in the bedroom, and who were not crated, snuck in there, and not only jumped UP ON THE BED, they nested on the white quilt, and they must have been under the Christmas tree first :blink: because now the quilt is covered in fuzzy black dog hair, dirt, hay wisps, diatomaceous earth dust, and pine needles. There is probably drool on it, too.

These dogs HAVE their OWN giant dog bed already in the living room ! :angry: Where is the damned guard cat ? Sleeping in the other bedroom, the slacker!

I've got one of those dog's sister along with a sister of your cat! Same house -- different address!

:D

Marilyn R Community Regular

Our horrid, vicious, but very pretty little dog (he calls her Lindsey Lo) peed in my roommate's bed on NY Eve when the fire works went off! I came very close to peeing my pants laughing about it, because he turned into Elmer Fudd. So Karen, if you're watchin, I don't sleep with him.

kareng Grand Master

Our horrid, vicious, but very pretty little dog (he calls her Lindsey Lo) peed in my roommate's bed on NY Eve when the fire works went off! I came very close to peeing my pants laughing about it, because he turned into Elmer Fudd. So Karen, if you're watchin, I don't sleep with him.

He can't figure out what is gluten and what isn't, he likes Spaghettios, your dog doesn't like him, and he can't even warm your bed.....why do you keep him? We need to get you a new "room mate". Maybe one of the cabana boys?

GottaSki Mentor

He can't figure out what is gluten and what isn't, he likes Spaghettios, your dog doesn't like him, and he can't even warm your bed.....why do you keep him? We need to get you a new "room mate". Maybe one of the cabana boys?

on it...i'll post pics early next week...can't make it down to the fields of men until monday morning ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol: Certainly you know by now--after all these years--that cats live in "opposite world". Whatever we want or expect them to do, they do the opposite. Chances are, she conspired with those 2 dogs to pull a prank on the humans. And she nearly peed herself laughing about it, no doubt. I often ask Bella ,our kooky kitty why she does the things she does, but she refuses to talk, that little brat. When we had our lab and 3 cats in the house years ago, I swear those cats bullied that big old sweet dog, one of them shoving her aside on her dog bed, taking up most of the space. Gracie would look at us like "why, oh why did you bring these wretched things into the house???

(snort) Lindsey Lo (and you are taking waaay too much joy in this peeing episode, M (and I don't blame you one bit) :lol:

He can't figure out what is gluten and what isn't, he likes Spaghettios, your dog doesn't like him, and he can't even warm your bed.....why do you keep him?

As usual, Karen sums it up nicely and asks the brilliant question no one else would ask --but was secretly thinking. :lol:

on it...i'll post pics early next week...can't make it down to the fields of men until monday morning ;)

Wear a better disguise this time. L. Not the ski goggles, silly--yer just callin attention to yerself. You'll blow our recruiting operation sky high.

If we have to come bail you out for stalking charges, our little nest egg we started for the construction of the compound will be shot to hell.

You need sunglasses and a scarf or a floppy hat. Blend in. Look like you're part of the scenery. Don't call attention to yerself. I used to work for a detective agency.

Here is me when I did a stake out a few years ago.

x12728276.webp

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Irish, that's amazing, we could be sisters!!

I vote for more fireworks :).

Mr Mindwarp cooked a steak in avocado oil, and it was amazingly tender. He said it is because the avocado oil cooks at a higher temperature. I did my lamb at lunch with it and it was great too. We had the steak from the same pack done in olive oil last night,and it was fine but nowhere near as tender. Is this a known feature?

jerseyangel Proficient

:o

love2travel Mentor

Irish, love your stakeout photo! Pretty slick. ;)

For dinner I am making:

Sole Piccata with Roasted Grapes

Hasselback Potatoes with Bay

Maple Bourbon Glazed Roasted Carrots and Radishes

mushroom Proficient

Irish, love your stakeout photo! Pretty slick. ;)

For dinner I am making:

Sole Piccata with Roasted Grapes

Hasselback Potatoes with Bay

Maple Bourbon Glazed Roasted Carrots and Radishes

You keep doing it to me :angry: , LoveToo! Those Hasselback potatoes get me every time. Any other potato I can ignore the heck out of, but not those :( Sets off horrible cravings!

love2travel Mentor

You keep doing it to me :angry: , LoveToo! Those Hasselback potatoes get me every time. Any other potato I can ignore the heck out of, but not those :( Sets off horrible cravings!

As we haven't had them for about two weeks, I thought it was about time to begin tormenting you! Here. Let me describe them...

Between the slices I will be placing sliced garlic, bay leaves, fresh thyme leaves and season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Then I will slowly drizzle wonderfully zippy green olive oil directly from olive trees that are about four miles from our Croatia house. Then roast until the slices become lightly browned and crisp around the edges; however, the interiors will remain buttery tender. And to finish, I will sprinkle with fleur de sel. Does that help? :P Just doing my best to practice kindness today. :lol: