1desperateladysaved

Rash When Cleaning The Kitchen

Rate this topic

Yes, I have a family that eats gluten.

Yes, I try to avoid it.

But today I cleaned off the counter and sink area. When I looked down at my arms they had a rash from wrist to elbow. It is flat red and not itchy, but it is definate enough for people to see it is there.

This hasn't happened to me before. Now, I want to know does this happen to you all? Is this supersensitive or daily occurence? Does it happen to gluten intolerants commonly, or just if you have Celiac, or what?

I am showing them all the rash; it seems clear that the bread crumbs had been left somewhere.

Yes, I have a family that eats gluten.

Yes, I try to avoid it.

But today I cleaned off the counter and sink area. When I looked down at my arms they had a rash from wrist to elbow. It is flat red and not itchy, but it is definate enough for people to see it is there.

This hasn't happened to me before. Now, I want to know does this happen to you all? Is this supersensitive or daily occurence? Does it happen to gluten intolerants commonly, or just if you have Celiac, or what?

I am showing them all the rash; it seems clear that the bread crumbs had been left somewhere.

It's hard to tell. It could be a reaction to something else.. anything more you can describe it by? You should go to the dermatitis herpetiformis forum and read some of the posts there as they contain pictures.

It could be dermatitis herpetiformis and in that case it's a sign of celiac and not just gluten intolerance. Is yours burning at all, and are there any small (watery) blisters showing up? It sometimes takes time for them to show up and after the skin has been dry and burn-ie.

Did you use any chemicals to clean with? What solution were you cleaning with or was it just water? Was it something you have never used before? If it's something you've used before, is it a new bottle of it? They may have changed the formula. I have had a reaction to dish detergents that I used for years & years & discovered they changed the formula. I changed dish liquids.

I get itchy rash every time I wash "glutened" dishes without gloves. If there was too much gluten, I get sore and unhealing cuts alongside my fingernails that take weeks to get better. I am allergic to gluten besides celiac so my reactions are not always typical for celiac/gluten intolerance.

Could be reaction to something else too.

I get flat, red, blotchy rashes frequently from cleaning. It never itches but is uncomfortable in a way that I don't really think I can describe. I eventually discovered that my reactions are to certain fragrances and dyes in products. It's quite possible that you're having a reaction to something other than gluten.

My arms suddenly stung and that made me look at them. It was then I noticed I had the red blotches. I used the same dish soap (7th Generation) as an earlier meal. The blotches are gone this morning, but my body is swollen.

I think I better read my shampoo bottle and all that.

I ( adult) daughter whom is gluten free was making pinata for a friends child's birthday .

She uses wheat flour and water paste to make them. She wears gloves when she does it but once she dropped a bit of the flour mixture on her leg. She did not give it a thought until it started burning. She cleaned it off and had a quarter size welt that blistered where the mixture had landed on her leg. She is more careful now .

Based on your description, I SERIOUSLY doubt this is a gluten thing.

richard

I get an itchy/stinging and flat red "rash" sometimes. There are a few cleaning products that seem to do that (no gluten). Also, one week a year, in the spring, there seems to be something in the air that does it. IF I wash my arms, it goes away quickly. I clean up gluten crumbs all the time and even touch gluten bread to make the boys a sandwich and its no big deal.

I have held a bag of wheat flour in my hands and never had a rash.

But I get a bunch of blisters on my scalp and face if I ingest gluten and I have felt pretty light-headed if I inhale any of it. Swallowing the gluten is necessary.

You could get a contact rash from wheat if you ALSO have a wheat allergy IN addition to Celiac. You would likely also have other symptoms and possibly anaphylaxis with those. Do you?

Gluten-related rashes like DH occur after ingestion of the protein.

Unless you ate some of the crumbs, your rash is probably not related to just cleaning up your kitchen.