2 replies to this topic

#1 Stern

Stern

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

My doctor is apparently not willing to do anything for me, and I've just been wondering about this for a little bit.

I've been on a gluten-free diet for a little under 2 years now. I went gluten-free with a friend that did have celiac disease, and recognized some of her own symptoms in the problems I'd been having. I felt so much better that month, that I knew that gluten had to be a problem for me. However, when I tested (I went back on gluten for a month, then had a blood test done), it came back negative. However, that month was horrible for me, and I went back on the gluten-free diet after the test.

So, I've been reading that blood tests aren't the end-all, be-all, and that endos or other tests are much more conclusive. However, my doctor didn't really jump at the idea when I presented it, and now I'm wondering, how much would the 'label' help me? Yes, it would let me know exactly what was happening to my body if I decided to eat gluten, but otherwise?

Some of my symptoms before (Pre-2 years ago, going on for... years and years...), flatulance, nose bleeds, what I'm suspecting was a slight case of osteoperosis (never got it -confirmed-, but I mean, I broke my finger catching a not-too-stong basketball pass.), something that the doctors called excema, and a few more things.

Could I get some help, please? I don't feel like my doctor understands, not that she cares either, and I'd like some more ideas of what my next step should be.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

There are a number if us here who are "self diagnosed". We know gluten makes us feel awful, and know we feel better without it. Some of us (including me) wouldn't be able to do a gluten challenge to get an official diagnosis anyway. Just a trace of gluten and I'm violently ill for 24 hours, and feel like crap for days after that.

My personal opinion is that if you don't need special accommodations, like if you're a student trying to opt out of a mandatory meal plan at college or a younger child who needs special accommodations at school, an official diagnosis isn't necessary.

I figure if gluten is causing health issues, it's really a bit of a blessing. You don't need a doctor's approval or prescription to start a gluten-free diet. My doc thinks I'm a bit nuts for going gluten-free, but since it has made my laundry list of symptoms disappear, I really don't care what he thinks. ;-)

#3 Stern

Stern

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hahaha, luckily, not just yet, I get out of school before lunch anyway through my schedule, but I'll have to look into the college thing, I wasn't aware that I might have to work it wout with college, but I'll look into it (Not quite sure where I want to go anyway, this is going to be a factor, I guess. x_X ) I was worried about having to go back to gluten, but since you're saying it may not be necessary, I think I won't tackle it until it is really getting to be a problem (Which I haven't seen so far)

Thank you so much for answeing my question. :- ) I'm just kinda lost x_X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: