Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

How 'worthy' Is An Official Label?

3 posts in this topic

My doctor is apparently not willing to do anything for me, and I've just been wondering about this for a little bit.

I've been on a gluten-free diet for a little under 2 years now. I went gluten-free with a friend that did have celiac disease, and recognized some of her own symptoms in the problems I'd been having. I felt so much better that month, that I knew that gluten had to be a problem for me. However, when I tested (I went back on gluten for a month, then had a blood test done), it came back negative. However, that month was horrible for me, and I went back on the gluten-free diet after the test.

So, I've been reading that blood tests aren't the end-all, be-all, and that endos or other tests are much more conclusive. However, my doctor didn't really jump at the idea when I presented it, and now I'm wondering, how much would the 'label' help me? Yes, it would let me know exactly what was happening to my body if I decided to eat gluten, but otherwise?

Some of my symptoms before (Pre-2 years ago, going on for... years and years...), flatulance, nose bleeds, what I'm suspecting was a slight case of osteoperosis (never got it -confirmed-, but I mean, I broke my finger catching a not-too-stong basketball pass.), something that the doctors called excema, and a few more things.

Could I get some help, please? I don't feel like my doctor understands, not that she cares either, and I'd like some more ideas of what my next step should be.

Ads by Google:

There are a number if us here who are "self diagnosed". We know gluten makes us feel awful, and know we feel better without it. Some of us (including me) wouldn't be able to do a gluten challenge to get an official diagnosis anyway. Just a trace of gluten and I'm violently ill for 24 hours, and feel like crap for days after that.

My personal opinion is that if you don't need special accommodations, like if you're a student trying to opt out of a mandatory meal plan at college or a younger child who needs special accommodations at school, an official diagnosis isn't necessary.

I figure if gluten is causing health issues, it's really a bit of a blessing. You don't need a doctor's approval or prescription to start a gluten-free diet. My doc thinks I'm a bit nuts for going gluten-free, but since it has made my laundry list of symptoms disappear, I really don't care what he thinks. ;-)

Hahaha, luckily, not just yet, I get out of school before lunch anyway through my schedule, but I'll have to look into the college thing, I wasn't aware that I might have to work it wout with college, but I'll look into it (Not quite sure where I want to go anyway, this is going to be a factor, I guess. x_X ) I was worried about having to go back to gluten, but since you're saying it may not be necessary, I think I won't tackle it until it is really getting to be a problem (Which I haven't seen so far)

Thank you so much for answeing my question. :- ) I'm just kinda lost x_X

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Those could be celiac symptoms or they could be something else.  Just because celiac runs in your family, I would not jump to conclusions.  That could be dangerous!   For example, my niece presented with celiac disease symptoms.  She tested negative but they found that she has Crohn's (not that she can't ever develop celiac disease).  While a gluten free diet could not hurt her, it is not the cause of her Crohn's flare-ups.    I would not worry about his weight unless he is no longer on the growth charts.   There could be more related to his anxiety issues too. i would NOT recommend sharing prescriptions, especially on a 9 year old!  Dapsone is some pretty evil medication that can do some serious liver damage (but if you have DH or  leporisy, it might be worth the risk -- but I would think not for kids).  For DH, sticking to a gluten-free diet  is much preferred, but I will let one of our members who has DH comment on that.   Those with DH often do not test positive in blood work.  Best to get a skin biopsy (tricky on DH so read up). Please find a dermatologist  and/or a Ped GI who is celiac savvy.    
    • Canadian Celiac Association warns against Gluten-Free Cheerios, but is there good evidence? View the full article
    • So, now they have found a metal toxicity in my body along with needing to be gluten free.  For the toxicity, I am now taking supplements after and between meals.  This a good thing because it prompts me to actually eat 3 meals a day and in a timely manner and not just a grab on the go item whenever.  The down side is remembering to take the silly things.  I can honestly say how much a pain it is to remember to take the supplements sometimes.  Been on this regimen for about a week now, and I am starting to feel better and all my systems are getting thoroughly cleaned out.  The real test will be in about 3 weeks or so, as it is about this time I become more vulnerable to the neurological symptoms.  I actually did some research on metal toxicity and found something incredible.  The symptoms I had been having all fall under this problem.  This could also have been yet another contributing factor of why I needed to go gluten free. Just a thought.  One thing I did consistently find is that once the toxicity is taken care of, this would not take away any food allergies or gluten issues.  I had gone through a different detox program back in February-March, and the neurological symptoms I have been dealing with was magnified x10 it seemed.  Another praise in this regimen is that I have been virtually symptom free since taking these supplements.  A few episodes but very minor.   
    • I have not taken him to a dermatologist. I have dapsone, which I put on the rash, it always clears up. I have it for another family member. But then I started reading about celiac and all these dots are out there but not connected.  The next time he has the bumps, I am going to take him in. In the mean time, I am trying to find a dermatologist who understands the condition. I don't want my kid to have celiac. And I kinda feel crazy for thinking he may have a gluten issue but with it in my family and him having these other things, I want to be dilligent.   i will read up on the test you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond everyone.   
    • I tested positive to deamidated gliadin in August at a hospital. My old GI tested me using gliadin (the test listed on your result) in September and it was negative. Literally the next day, my new GI tested for deamidated gliadin again and it was positive (I was unaware the hospital scheduled an appointment with the new GI for follow up).  If you still suspect it, Google deamidated gliadin, print out the Mayo clinic lab info and circle the part where it says they have discontinued the use of gliadin in favor of the deamidated gliadin.  Has he seen a dermatologist?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member