1 reply to this topic

#1 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:43 AM

I have a dumb question here... Why don't we work on insurance companies to get the word out about celiac. If we could somehow get them to take a look at the myriad of health problems (insurance claims) that are caused by undiagnosed celiac disease wouldn't they maybe begin pushing for celiac testing??? It seems to me that they would save a TON of money if more people were diagnosed earlier. How many millions in unneccessary antidepressants, antispasmodics, antinausea, anti-etc... do they spend every year on undiagnosed celiacs? If these people knew what was wrong with them and followed the gluten-free diet, they would probably significantly lower their managed health care needs, right? I could be dillusional (slight state of brain fog today), so please forgive me if I'm just being an idiot here. It's just a thought.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

This thread should be of interest to you. Perhaps you could use the letter in there and join our crusade by sending it out to insurance companies.....

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=13475

Hugs!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: