This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Consistancy Of Stools After Gf?

chasesmom

chasesmom Newbie

Hi

My son has been gluten-free since 4 months old. I was strictly breastfeeding when he developed severe diahrrea. After weeks of research (no help from peditrician) I went on a dairy free gluten free diet. His symptoms disappeared. At 6 months of age I introduced solids and things went fine (still gluten-free). At 13months I weaned him and he has not had a formed stool since. He is now 17 months old and remains dairy free and gluten free. He is not having liquid stools but they continue to be very soft, often huge blow outs of his diaper. Also, his stools have a distinct odor as does his breath. I have not gotten any answers from my MD other than he would like to have my son tested to be sure he is gluten intollerant. I am just wondering if my son is normal for someone on a gluten-free diet. He remains well above the 50th % for growth and has a great appetite, and has hit all age appropriate milestones (talking, walking etc.). If anyone has experience here I would be grateful. Thanks for your time

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NaomiR Newbie

We are new to this - gluten free diet. My son (23 months) has been gluten-free for one week today. A lot of what you mentioned in your post sounds so familiar to me and was part of my reason for coming to this board today.

He started having chronic constipation (which I know is an actual sign of Celiacs) at 6 months of age. He is extremely delayed developmentally and is way under the growth chart in size.

However, since starting this diet his stools are now very soft and huge blow outs too. His stomach has gone from being bloated and swollen to being very soft and flat. The one thing you mentioned that I wondered about is the distinct odor....his breath STINKS!!

My son was actually tested for Celiacs at about 14 months of age but it came back inconclusive...due to his body not producing immunoglobulins.

I can't really offer advice...just tell you I am in the same situation.

chasesmom Newbie

Thanks for sharing your experience. My son has never had constipation, but I feel like because of his diarrhea at such an early age, and large loose or at least very soft stools for over a year now, I am a poopie diaper expert. My husband laughs at me because if he changes our son I give him the 3rd degree "How did it smell, how big was it, did it run out the side?". I have brought this to the attention of our ped., stinkie breath and all, but he hasn't really been able to tell me anything. The testing he wants to do would require my son to eat gluten so no way. As long as he continues to grow well, I am going to stay gluten-free (and he will stay stinkie). I hope your son catches on the growth charts, and I am curious to hear what kind of projection your ped has made for your son in realation to developmental milestones? How much do they feel he will be able to make up for? Thanks for your time.

Colleen

Archived