3 replies to this topic

#1 tailz

tailz

New Community Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

I found this link that takes some of the guesswork out of screening vitamins for salicylates. Be careful though with glutens and other trigger ingredients.

http://www.fibromyal...salicylate.html

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

Tailz, don't use the info on that site. It's all about using guaifenesin, which is supposed to fix fibromyalgia (as long as you take it indefinitely), and claims that salicylates block it's effectiveness. Guaifenesin, in my own experience (and I used it for nearly two years), is utterly useless for fibro. Cutting out the gluten and salicylates is the REAL treatment.

A lot of the advice on salicylates is just PLAIN WRONG. Period. ALL teas, other than chamomile tea, are bad. ESPECIALLY natural ingredients are terrible (but the other ones, like mint flavouring, are awful, too). Topical salicylates, like the ones in toothpaste, shampoo and soap are no good, either.

Guaifenesin DOES thin mucus, that's why it is in cough medicines. It has it's uses. But I found that while I cut out all salicylates and bread (as it tells you to do at the beginning) 'it was working great' (yeah, right). Once I started eating some bread again, I was really sick again. So, I stopped using it.

Now I just cut out the lectins (gluten being one of them) and the salicylates, and the pain and the digestive problems are gone. NO guaifenesin needed.

So, since in this site the underlying reasoning for eliminating salicylates is faulty, why would you trust the rest of the information? The problem is, that there is some truth mixed with lies. It would be hard to distinguish the two, and find the useful information here.

I just read that they encourage using TUMS for your calcium. What an awful idea! NOBODY should EVER take antacids as a calcium supplement. That's about the worst way of getting calcium (besides the fact that Tums aren't proven gluten-free). That advice alone would tell me that whoever is giving the advice on this site is not to be trusted.

Also, they say if the salicylates are part of the inactive ingredients, they are fine. Actually, they are NOT fine. Also, they say that flax seed oil is okay. It is not. In fact, the only oil that is okay is cold pressed sunflower oil.

So, their info on which vitamins are safe and which are not is useless. Don't follow it, in fact, forget about this website.

Please, just get your info from the one on salicylates I link to, this lady really, really knows what she is talking about, and has done her 'homework'. Also, buy her 'Salicylate Handbook' (on C D), it has invaluable information, and is very reasonably priced (she really hardly makes any money on it, she just doesn't want to lose money).

Following her guidelines and advice has helped me more than you can imagine.

And no, (in case anybody thinks I am somehow connected to this lady) I am NOT helping her promote her site and her Salicylate Handbook, I don't know her personally, she is in England, and I am in Canada.

Edit: Oops, I forgot that when you put the c and the d together, it always shows up as celiac disease. I was saying the salicylate handbook was on C D, but it said that it was on celiac disease, because I didn't separate the letters. I hope I didn't cause any confusion.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Now my question is, is there a website or post somewhere like a list that lists most of the Salicylate free foods you can have? I'm using myself as a guinea pig right now and I think, I'm on to something. No insurance for doctors, but want to try this diet as an exclusion diet and see what happens.
Thanks for all the info!
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

http://www.sswahs.ns...salicylates.cfm
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: