- - - - -

Is It Celiacs?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mares83_*

Guest_mares83_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:55 AM

I recently was tested for celiacs (IGA-43 and IGG-110) and had a biopsy done that did not show any damage. My Endomysial IGA and Reticulin IGA were not detected. My doctor says I can either go on a gluten free trial or just not worry about it. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm not really sure what I should do.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

Two positive tests is a pretty high indicator of some sort of a gluten problem -- although it might not yet be full-blown celiac. In particular, the Iga test is VERY specific. Are you convinced the biopsy was done correctly, taking a minimum of a half dozen samples (10 is even better)? Damage can be patchy and can be missed.

The biggest question is whether you have symptoms. You must, otherwise why would he test you? If you do have symptoms do you feel bad enough to go gluten-free and see if that solves your problems?

richard

#3 Guest_mares83_*

Guest_mares83_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

They did take 7 biopsy samples; the only reason I can think of that the biopsy results wouldn't be accurate is that I'm on some medicane for Crohns Disease (my doctor had mentioned before that some of the same meds are used to treate both). I was initially tested a few months ago after I had a Crohns flare up and became anemic very fast (which isn't as typical with Crohns). I don't have any pain after eating; although sometimes when I eat rich food like pasta or calzones I have some stomach pain (although I'm not sure if that would be Crohns or Celiac). My doctor is referring me to a nutritionist so I can have a gluten free trial (she's says for about two months, and then have my bloodwork rechecked. So i guess we'll see..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: