1 reply to this topic

#1 arismama

arismama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:41 PM

My 16 month old had her scope yesterday. All went as well as could be expected. My daughter was given fentanyl (morphine type for pain) and versed as an amnesiac. She did great once the drugs kicked in. I did great once I had her back in my arms again. :lol: The scope revealed a very nice looking esophagus and stomach lining but her duodenum (leading section of the small intestine) didn't fare as well. It showed some signs of bleeding and looked "ratty" as described by the GI. I forgot to ask afterward, but before the procedure he told me he'd take a minimum of 10 samples from various locations. He is convinced based upon what he saw (and the fact that her eczema had a major flare up yesterday) that it is a food allergy and still holding to the idea that it is not appearing to be celiac disease. We will know more when the biopsy comes back. There is a possibility that it could be a bacteria, but the labs will have to reveal that. He wanted to go down the list of the big 8 food allergens and consider the next step in eliminating them from her diet. I told him that beyond the milk and egg, the allergist has us avoiding all nuts, fish, and shellfish. He said, "Well, that would have been the next step, but it sounds like he has you on the right track." He also mentioned a few different meds she could take to counteract whatever allergen is irritating her intestines. But for now he said that we should continue what we've been doing and then we'll talk once the results come in. I sure hope there's something revealing in those biopsies. Anyway, there's our little update.

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:50 AM

I'm glad they were able to see what was going on in her intestine. I hope that the biopsies will reveal what is truly going on so she can get better. Good luck with the results and keep us posted!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: