2 replies to this topic

#1 jrose

jrose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

I plan to start my diet on the 15th. Should I be seeing a dietician before I start?.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KimmyJ

KimmyJ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

You don't necessarily need to see one before you start your diet, but I would strongly recommend seeing one at some point. I know a lot of people here won't agree with me, and I can see where they are coming from, a lot of health professionals are not really as familiar with Celiac and the gluten-free diet as they should be, but it will most definitely be of value to you. A dietician, if they are familiar with the diet, can help you with ideas for what to eat. If they're not familiar with the gluten-free diet, they can still help you to balance your diet to be sure to get the optimal nutrients from what you are eating. That knowledge will help you to eat the best you can so that you can recover as quickly as possible and also will help you to feel your best. A nutritionist can also help you to be sure that you get good vitamins/supplements, and that you get enough of the right ones. Good luck with your transition onto the diet!

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

I plan to start my diet on the 15th. Should I be seeing a dietician before I start?.

My personal feeling is it depends on your degree of nutritional sophistication. If you have the ability to detect gluten in foods (your can learn a lot about that here) and know what constitutes a balanced diet with enough carbs, protein and good quality fats, you can probably do it on your own. But I would recommend at some point quite soon consulting a naturopath as opposed to a dietitian to get the suppplementation you need for vitamin and mineral deficiencies that you probably have. Your body is probably out of whack from dealing with that gluten load and your gut no doubt needs healing.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009