Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Is There A Connection Between Ulcerative Colitis And Celiac?

4 posts in this topic

I have been battling with what I believe is Candida and Ulcerative Colitis since my early 20's. I am almost 50 now and have had 3 severe episodes of UC which were only brought under control by high doses of Prednisone. I believe the candida, if it is there, has comprised my intestinal walls and caused the disease to progress to the stage it is in at this time. I also think I could possibly have Leaky Gut problems as well brought on by the before mentioned candida.

My friend (who is TammyK; I don't have my own username yet) has told me about Celiac Disease and to look into it as a possible connection. Does anyone else out there have both Celiac and UC and know how they are related? I have noticed multiple food sensitivities but as time goes on, I am getting more and more confused about which bother me. I have NOT noticed gluten to effect me, but haven't excluded it either, except while I was on a Candida diet and when I was on a liquid diet during a severe UC flare-up.

Yesterday it flared-up again, out of the blue. I have no idea what brings them on and having no idea how to correct them without Prednisone.

Ads by Google:

Hi Tammy's friend,

Have you tried an elimination diet? If you do an elimination diet you can usually pinpoint foods that are affecting you. once you pinpoint one food, don't stop. Eliminate that food and put it on the bad list. Keep adding foods to the diet one at a time because you may have several food sensitivities. Start with a basic rice diet. Add other foods every few days and note the symptoms.

I am in my 50's and had battled ulcerative colitis off and on since my early 20's as well. When I was finally diagnosed with celiac disease, my GI told me he did not think I ever really had ulcerative colitis. He felt all my problems were always from celiac disease and that it had been active all my life. He says I do have markers for crohn's, but no evidence of UC.

I might have had my first episode of Chrohn's disease or ulceritive colitis. In Sept I will be diagnosed Celiac for 4 years but in June and especially July I had a accute attact. My Gastro is working me up and found my celiac under countrol with my lab results and Endoscopy but I have a Colonoscopy tomarrow and my blood work is borderline high for either ulceritive colitic or Chrohn's disease.