#1 dostoyevsky

dostoyevsky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

Sorry for my ignorance but what is DH?

I gave up eating gluten about 3 weeks ago as I realized that my acne only started getting really bad and I started scarring, around the same time as I started to eat a lot of gluten. I don't think I have celiac disease but I have noticed that I'm eating a lot more and am finally putting on weight for the first time in my life :) So I think I may be slightly gluten intolerant.

Well I've just found this category and am wondering whether my acne is in fact DH... what is the difference? I suffer from a few mild white heads but it's the under the skin cyst-like pimples that are doing the most damage. I usually have 2 or 3 and they can last for weeks. Now I have a lot of red marks left over from them and some scarring as well.

So does anyone know how long it will take for my skin to clear if this is DH and I stick to my gluten-free diet? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_mquistor_*

Guest_mquistor_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

Acne is not HD. But, in my case Celiac related damage to my gut caused an overall inflamatory response through my whole body that did cause this type of acne over my head, face, etc.. My dem dr. never clued into this and we treated it for a long time topically. It wasent until I was 100% gluten free for 4-5 months before this went away for good. I have no acne now.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:07 AM

My DH as an adult was deemed to be 'picker acne' by one derm. I even asked how it could be acne as it itched. As a child I was told I had poison ivy-12 months out of the year.
I stopped getting new lesions within a couple of weeks gluten-free but it took a couple more weeks to heal the ones that were there. After that the only time I would get a lesion was within hours of consuming gluten so it was quite helpful for letting me know what I slipped with as my gut response tends to be delayed by a couple days.
You could ask a derm to biopsy looking specifically for DH, they do that by biopsying the area next to the lesion not the leasion itself.
Celiac is associated with a number of skin conditions not just DH so even if it turns out that it is not DH that does not always mean that the lesions are not gluten related.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: