- - - - -

Gi Diet

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Addicted2Gluten_*

Guest_Addicted2Gluten_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

I've read a lot recently about the GI (Glycemic Index) diet and since I am suspected of having Reactive Hypoglycemia at the moment I figured that I would give it a try. It is supposed to be a great diet also for those with diabetes since it focuses on eating foods that are low in calories and low in sugar. If you go to the website at www.gidiet.com, it mentions that this diet will work with a gluten free diet and after reading through the book, it seems fairly easy. Most of the foods that are "green light" (as the book refers to them as) are naturally gluten free. However, you are allowed to eat some grains including buckwheat, millet, and amaranth. And any gluten free breads that are high in fiber.

I was curious if anyone is on this diet and how it has worked in conjunction with their gluten free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia and was very liberal with the glycemic index diet after diagnosis. I got a glucometer from my doctor and kept track of my BS several times during the day. The glycemic index diet works if you maintain a strict gluten free diet and do not overeat at meals. The number they give you, the actual glycemic index, is just for one serving of food and does not take into consideration eating it as part of a meal. I found a few discrepancies with the numbers given, but overall it is a pretty good diet. If anything, it's healthy. After a while, you won't need to be as liberal with the diet, just remember to balance your carbs with adequate protein and fat, and don't overeat. I found that if I have a gluten reaction, my blood sugar will flucuate more for a few days.
Good luck,
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#3 Guest_Addicted2Gluten_*

Guest_Addicted2Gluten_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

Thanks. I'm think I'm going to start it this week. I've only read positive things about it and it seems like a healthy diet and it's much easier than the Specific Carbohydrate Diet I used to be on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: