2 replies to this topic

#1 homemaker

homemaker

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:23 AM

I was wondering if any of you on a gluten-free diet experienced blood sugar crashes upon embarking on your gluten-free diet?
I have been gluten-free now for about a month and have experienced some blood sugar crashes in the morning.
The things that have helped just a bit, is later dinners, protein with my carbs, and a late night snack preferably
a protein snack.
I am just curious why this is? Do gluten-free grains have a glycemic load greater than wheat flours?
It's just strange...
Constipation, Gas, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Ataxia, Brain Fog, Joint Pain Headaches
Bloodwork Negative
Went gluten free 10/02/09
Immediate and Positive intestinal improvement with improvement in headache frequency
Enterolab results 11/23/09 (after one month gluten free)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 units
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 9 units
Fecal Fat 1267 units
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1: 0201
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2: 0202
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,2 (Subtype 2,2)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

yeah, some gluten free substitutes are much higher in simple carbs and sugar. refined rice isn't going to have as much protein or fiber as whole wheat. not to mention behavioral effects, where you may eat *more* refined gluten-free grain products because of the "OMG! Gluten Free Cheerios! OMG! Gluten Free Muffins! OMG! Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies!" effect. (Just the excitement and novelty of finding substitutes for things you miss or things you haven't had in a while.)

I find that keeping my hypoglycemia controlled isn't hard on the gluten-free diet, it just means eating natural foods - fruits, vegetables, meats, legumes, nuts, seeds, and some gluten free grains. (I can't do dairy, but that's not everyone.) Gluten free bread I can do a bit of, and when I make my own things, like waffles, I try to pick higher protein flours and use less sweetener (and use agave instead of sugar, but that's me), but I can't eat a lot of 'em.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

I had the problem before going gluten-free but it is a little more pronounced now. I do rely on a lot of protein but I probably could do better with less sugar. I really love the stuff! I use stevia for drinks but haven't really figured out how to bake with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: