17 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

So I emailed Five Guys because there is a brand new one down the street from me, and everyone raves about their fries, and this is what they emailed back:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Josh,

Thank you for taking the time to write in to Five Guys, we appreciate you taking the time to do so. We have received your inquiry in regards to the presence of gluten in our products.

Currently, Five Guys DOES NOT offer a gluten free bun, as we have yet to find a bun we feel meets the flavor of our burger. However, I’d like to advise you that it is absolutely possible for you to order your burger without the bun as our cooks would be happy to meet this request for you.

I would like for you to also know that our buns and the malt vinegar condiment are the ONLY products we offer that DO include gluten

Thanks for your interest in Five Guys. Please enjoy us often as we would be happy to have you as a new guest!

Victoria Cerminaro
Customer Service Representative

FIVE GUYS Enterprises, LLC
10440 Furnace Road, Suite 205
Lorton, Virginia 22079
Phone: 703.339.7624
Fax: 703.339.9501
Email: vcerminaro@fiveguys.com
Web: www.fiveguys.com
Follow us on Twitter! twitter.com/Five_Guys

P Please consider the environment before printing this email

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

So I emailed Five Guys because there is a brand new one down the street from me, and everyone raves about their fries, and this is what they emailed back:

Dear Josh,

Thank you for taking the time to write in to Five Guys, we appreciate you taking the time to do so. We have received your inquiry in regards to the presence of gluten in our products.

Currently, Five Guys DOES NOT offer a gluten free bun, as we have yet to find a bun we feel meets the flavor of our burger. However, I’d like to advise you that it is absolutely possible for you to order your burger without the bun as our cooks would be happy to meet this request for you.

I would like for you to also know that our buns and the malt vinegar condiment are the ONLY products we offer that DO include gluten

Thanks for your interest in Five Guys. Please enjoy us often as we would be happy to have you as a new guest!

Victoria Cerminaro

Lorton, Virginia 22079

Thanks for sharing! The Five Guys in my city closed right before I went gluten-free. However, I can drive a city over to try them. Let us know if you try them and how it goes for you!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

The fries are also gluten-free and done in a dedicated fryer. At the 5 Guys I went to, when the supervisor heard me ordering gluten-free, he changed gloves and then made the burger for me in a safer area to lessen the chance of stray crumbs. All without me asking.

richard

#4 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

The fries are also gluten-free and done in a dedicated fryer. At the 5 Guys I went to, when the supervisor heard me ordering gluten-free, he changed gloves and then made the burger for me in a safer area to lessen the chance of stray crumbs. All without me asking.

richard

Did you have to do anything besides order with no bun for him to know you wanted gluten free?

#5 joey1011

joey1011

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Did you have to do anything besides order with no bun for him to know you wanted gluten free?

I always ask them to change gloves. Usually they do it without my asking. Haven't been there in a while though as I'm cutting back on beef. Decent burger, but very greasy.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

I think he took the order and I mentioned I didn't want the bun because I had to eat gluten free. He immediately knew what that meant and what to do to lessen the chance of CC.

richard

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

We LOVE Five Guys . . . the first time we ordered and I said that my daughter needed a bunless burger, he asked if it was an allergy. We said yes (as the easy way to answer) and he yelled out "allergy" when he called back her order. They changed gloves. Now we just order "bunless because of an allergy".

Fries are fantastic but here is a hint . . . you don't need to order a serving of fries for each person. Me and my two kids can't finish one order of fries when we've all got a burger as well.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

I agree. Five Guys is fantastic. I try not to eat there a lot because holy greasy deliciousness....but I've eaten there more times than I can count and never gotten sick!

#9 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

I've eaten Five Guys both during the gluten-filled days and the gluten-free days. They never had a problem changing gloves when I ask. Their setup does minimize the chances of cross-contamination - buns are heated in a different area than the meats, etc.

I do usually go for as plain of a burger as possible to help cut down on cross contamination (the more toppings you add, the more your chances of cross-contamination, obviously). Ours is close to home so I usually bring it home and put it on my own bun at home. Understandable that they cannot "fix" it for you with your own gluten-free bun if there are local ordanances against bringing in outside food into their prep area (I've heard tales of this).

I react to the most minor of cross contamination and I think only once have I had minor issues (I am a gluten allergy person, got a slight skin rash). I do also watch them while they make my food - if I've ever seen them do something and not been comfortable, they have always been quick to correct the problem or start over.

Last time my husband went and ordered (after a year, he's finally feeling *he* knows the rules well enough to order for me, lol) and they gave him a burger on a bun for me. Sigh. He said no, he needed a bunless one. They suggested taking the bun off the burger. He said no, I have a wheat allergy, I can't do that. They made me up a fresh one, sans bun.

#10 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

I ate at a Five Guys for the first time a few weeks ago - in Tampa, I believe.

The cashier rang up the bunless request / allergy and while I was watching the guy make it, I said to my husband, "I wonder if he'll know to change gloves?" He heard me and asked if it was an allergy. When I told him yes he looked at the cashier and said, "You have to TELL me when there's an allergy - it's not OK to just forget."

While that was all good and such, I just wasn't impressed with their other stuff like I had hoped I would be. It was so greasy and the fries were just "OK." I haven't had restaurant fries in so long that I was looking forward to it. They are only seasoned with salt (and not much at that.)

While having them as a gluten-free option is nice, I'd much rather have a burger and fries from home.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#11 AMBSneakySnack

AMBSneakySnack

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

Dear Josh,

Victoria Cerminaro

Lorton, Virginia 22079

I actually just received an email back from the same representative from Five Guys on this subject:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Blake,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Five Guys. We have received you inquiry in regards to adding other bun options to our menu.

Currently, we are not planning to add any additional items to our menu and this includes bread options. The bread we serve is signature to our brand and is the same recipe we have been using since 1986. We have yet to find any other bun that meets the flavor of our burgers and dogs!

We focus on keeping our restaurants simple, clean and our food fresh. However, we greatly appreciate the feedback provided to us.

I will pass this along to the person who oversees menu development as we greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions. You the customer, are the most important visitor on our premises. You are not dependent on us, we are dependent on you, You are not an outsider in our business—you are a part of it. We are not doing you a favor by serving you…you are doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to do so!!!

Thank you for your interest in Five Guys and we hope you enjoy us often!

Victoria Cerminaro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading this, I was surprised how blatant of a "no way, forget it" this response seemed to be in my opinion. I believe that as big as the gluten free community is, we all need to be writing in to restaurants in request of a gluten free bun as Josh and I have done. Red Robin has just added Udi's gluten free hamburger buns to their menu, and that was one of the best things they have ever done in my opinion. Now if only Five Guys would follow suit...

#12 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

They've got a good system in place without the bun. I, for one, am happy that they maintain that if they can't do it "right" by offering a gluten-free bun - They get their bread fresh, so they may not have a freezer set-up to stash gluten-free buns to take them out when needed (and it's hard to predict how much "fresh" gluten-free product you'd go thru). They'd need a different way to heat up the bun, and they currently handle all their buns on one single surface with one person manning that station. Couldn't use that same station, and if you had one dedicated grill for the gluten-free buns, that is a lot of real estate in the kitchen, it would either require another person OR you have one person doing both right next to each other... hello, cross-contamination city.

I'd rather be offered something that is 99% safe but somehow a little less than it's gluten-y counterpart than something that is less safe.

#13 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've seen/read (can't remember where, I'm getting old) where they get suggestions of things to add to their menu and they always turn it down. They do what they do and they do it well, why mess with success . . . that's my take away on their position and quite honestly, I'm good with that. When I walk in there, I know exactly what I'm going to find. For the record, my daughter would order it bun free anyway, she's lost the taste for hamburger and bread together. She says it soaks up all her ketchup :P
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

I've seen/read (can't remember where, I'm getting old) where they get suggestions of things to add to their menu and they always turn it down. They do what they do and they do it well, why mess with success . . . that's my take away on their position and quite honestly, I'm good with that. When I walk in there, I know exactly what I'm going to find. For the record, my daughter would order it bun free anyway, she's lost the taste for hamburger and bread together. She says it soaks up all her ketchup :P

Sounds like me with In N Out.

And I so get the ketchup thing...my son slathers it in ketchup.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 healing123

healing123

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

We experienced gluten big time at five guys. I think it depends on how sensitive you are and the training of the staff. We watched the glove change and called out allergy, however, in thinking back, we don't know what was put on the surface area before we came in. We like Five Guys, and hope it works for those who can tolerate. Please know, for those who have severe sensitivity, there are many variables that come into play. We asked the even changed the spatula, still a very bad reaction.
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: