This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Happy Spring, Fellow Gardeners!

notme

notme Experienced

whatcha planting!!??  hubby has our little plot (ok, half the backyard.....!)  all tilled up and we have begun the Great Planting.  have some herbs (german thyme, lemon thyme, rosemary, sage, chives) who have survived the winter and we added 4 kinds of basil ('regular', thai, purple, and boxwood) lavender (never tried  before) cilantro, parsley, marjoram.

napa cabbage, green cabbage, red cabbage, stringless green beans, picklebush cukes, i'm going to plant lettuce in the same row as the beans to see if it will work as a cover crop.  and hubs has to have his beets....  going to get 'maters and peppers.  oh, and i found some seeds for cukes that look like lemons.  heirloom wierdness...

here is what i cleared out that grew all winter:

post-37366-0-48407200-1366748136_thumb.j

they are GREEN ONIONS aka scallions.  i left the paring knife beside them as a point of reference lolz eek! monsters !

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shadowicewolf Proficient

Spring? What is this 'spring' you speak of? All i've seen is snow... <_<

No garden for me, but i do get to help take care of the flowering plants.

GFreeMO Proficient

Cold and snowy here too.  In fact, it's snowing right this minute.

When it does finally warm up, I am going to plant pots of herbs and some tomatoes and some green onions...Not sure what else yet.  Flowering plants for sure.

bartfull Rising Star

I'd like to plant some pork chops and cheeseburgers. Anyone know where I can get seeds for them, or would it be better to get some young plants from a greenhouse?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Outside it is around 20 degrees I have a list of things planted in Plastic bins, (also known as little greenhouses) in South windows. 

Cabbage, broccoli, peppers, onions, swiss chard, collard greens, marigolds, Romaine, Iceburg lettuce, celery, Okra, tomatoes, brussel sprouts.  I plan on putting in melons, squash, peas, green beans, , and potatoes outside in late May or early June.

I think I will try a few new things this year, Sunberries (whatever they are.)

Jerusalem artichokes, Bok choy, and turnips.  How about artichokes? 

Hopefully, the asparagus will come up by itself when the snow melts!  Maybe I better think of more herbs then the peppermint and creeping thyme I have?

It all sounds good.

Diana

IrishHeart Veteran

I'd like to plant some pork chops and cheeseburgers. Anyone know where I can get seeds for them, or would it be better to get some young plants from a greenhouse?

:lol:  :lol: good one, Barty!

We do not start our gardens in NY until much later, but we will  do the herbs (basil, thyme, cilantro, rosemary, etc.)

and the toms (big boy, beefsteak, plum and cherry), swiss chard and lettuces.

We're not doing much more this year because (shhh! not everyone knows this yet but..) we're moving to Florida later this year.

I just donated out winter coats, boots, and hats to the Salvation Army. Kept one heavy coat for when we have to come North. 

LolaB Apprentice

I cannot wait to get outside in the garden!  I find it very therapeutic and enjoy it very much.   We are going to do a veggie garden and I am so excited, this weather has been so weird hot then cold, rain then snow .... blah! ........... Love the birds and the Robins are crazy! .....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I just donated out winter coats, boots, and hats to the Salvation Army. Kept one heavy coat for when we have to come North. 

Florida does have its cold moments.

Adalaide Mentor

I love love love tomatoes. They apparently do not love me back. I learned this days after planting 7 heirloom yellow tomato plants. :( I will grow them anyway and eat what I find is tolerable for me and give the rest away. Our first three poked their first little leaves up today! They still spend their nights indoors though, it is far too chilly overnight for our new babies to be out.

For our ground plot, which is far too small, we will plant corn which we start next month and melons.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I love love love tomatoes. They apparently do not love me back. I learned this days after planting 7 heirloom yellow tomato plants. :( I will grow them anyway and eat what I find is tolerable for me and give the rest away. Our first three poked their first little leaves up today! They still spend their nights indoors though, it is far too chilly overnight for our new babies to be out.

For our ground plot, which is far too small, we will plant corn which we start next month and melons.

I miss homemade spaghetti sauce. I was never one for them raw, but a pot of sauce simmering all afternoon? So good.

Adalaide Mentor

I didn't have a single cherry tomato make it into the house last summer. Every last one got eaten like candy while I watered the plants. My Grammy will peel a tomato and slice it and just serve it with lunch that way. I learned to enjoy my veggies simply, there isn't much homemade tomato sauce making that goes on on my family farm.

GottaSki Mentor

Hi all - late to this party and sadly late for my garden plans this year - we are well into spring here - hey don't judge - I would rather be in snow ;)

Did manage to get herbs and three heirloom tomatoes planted on the patio - am looking forward to trying all these little green, yellow and red babies one day soon.

Ps...addie..with you...my Nana had us pick green beans - she would turn back to the house and rebel that I was...one for lisa....one for the basket - fresh - truly fresh needs nothing added.

GottaSki Mentor

I miss homemade spaghetti sauce. I was never one for them raw, but a pot of sauce simmering all afternoon? So good.

Thank you Shadow...I. Can. Smell. It. Already.

Adalaide Mentor

Hi all - late to this party and sadly late for my garden plans this year - we are well into spring here - hey don't judge - I would rather be in snow ;)

Did manage to get herbs and three heirloom tomatoes planted on the patio - am looking forward to trying all these little green, yellow and red babies one day soon.

Ps...addie..with you...my Nana had us pick green beans - she would turn back to the house and rebel that I was...one for lisa....one for the basket - fresh - truly fresh needs nothing added.

HAH! I did this with the peas. I wouldn't touch the things cooked as a child. Frankly, I still prefer a cold pea salad to cooking them which should be a crime. So funny that we waited for them to turn their backs. As if we were sneaking and they didn't know we were pilfering their gardens. It is amazing the things you can trick a child into when you let them get away with thinking they are being just a little bad. Like eating vegetables.

GottaSki Mentor

I was actually being a bad girl....you had to know Nana - my Sis - yep the same one that I sneak cauliflower into her Mac and Cheez was looking at me like I was alien while downing fresh peas and grn beans - she may have been right - I am an odd duck.

mushroom Proficient

I was always chastised at the dinner table for not eating my boiled-to-a-slop veggies, while I had secretly been out all day sneaking the baby veg out of the garden (I wasn't even old enough then to call it thinning the rows :D )

GottaSki Mentor

My Mom overcooked everything - when I left home at 18 and taught myself to cook - I was amazed that everything tasted good!

Still love fresh peas off the vine - sure hope I get them back this year. My "garden" will be growing heirloom peas and tomatoes for trialing - can't wait :)

notme Experienced

Outside it is around 20 degrees I have a list of things planted in Plastic bins, (also known as little greenhouses) in South windows. 

Cabbage, broccoli, peppers, onions, swiss chard, collard greens, marigolds, Romaine, Iceburg lettuce, celery, Okra, tomatoes, brussel sprouts.  I plan on putting in melons, squash, peas, green beans, , and potatoes outside in late May or early June.

I think I will try a few new things this year, Sunberries (whatever they are.)

Jerusalem artichokes, Bok choy, and turnips.  How about artichokes? 

Hopefully, the asparagus will come up by itself when the snow melts!  Maybe I better think of more herbs then the peppermint and creeping thyme I have?

It all sounds good.

Diana

i have an artichoke plant that made it through the winter!  i am so excited, because i was reading that it should produce a 'flower' <aka artichoke this season!  woohooo!  i had 2 plants to begin with, but the giant rosemary bush kind of choked (lolz) it by taking up too much space.  if you plant the artichoke plant leave ALOT of space because it needs to get pretty big.  lesson learned :)

I cannot wait to get outside in the garden!  I find it very therapeutic and enjoy it very much.   We are going to do a veggie garden and I am so excited, this weather has been so weird hot then cold, rain then snow .... blah! ........... Love the birds and the Robins are crazy! .....

i'm with you, lola!  nothing relaxes me more - in the summertime, i come downstairs, get me some tea, and walk straight out the back door to the garden.  i hope winter ends for EVERYBODY soon - i know i was glad to see this winter leave.  finally..!  hang in there, spring is coming to a town you are in.  and it is *awesommmmmmme!*

I didn't have a single cherry tomato make it into the house last summer. Every last one got eaten like candy while I watered the plants. My Grammy will peel a tomato and slice it and just serve it with lunch that way. I learned to enjoy my veggies simply, there isn't much homemade tomato sauce making that goes on on my family farm.

i was/am the same way.  taught my kids that 'poppin' tomatoes are best eaten directly off the vine.  working on the grandkids - i loooove just sliced tomatoes.  in the summertime, i will just serve that as a vege sprinkled with a little salt.  or simple bruschetta or caprese yumsss can't wait :)  or my favorite:  grilled cheese with tomato...............samwich............................;) 

GFreeMO Proficient

I can't eat tomatoes either BUT, I grow them anyway.  They are fun to grow and I just give them away.

Does anyone know which veggies I can plant in containers?

notme Experienced

when i was at lowe's they had a ton of plants that were marked as "good for container/patio planters" but to be honest i didn't really see what variety of plants they had.  tomatoes, i'm sure, but you are already growing them :) pretty sure you could grow peppers?  next time i go, haha probably today, i'll take a peek.

MsCurious Enthusiast

Hey Adalaide,

I'm a tomatoe lover too,! And with multiple food allergies, along with celiac disease, I was sad to find that tomatoes and I don't get along so well. BUT... because I'm stubborn, and do ridiculous amounts of research about everything...and always have... I decided to do a little research and try a few "tests" ...which I often do, to broaden my "safe food" list. After some trial and error I found that I can tolerate quite well actually.... Roma tomatoes ... IF ... I cut out the fleshy center and rinse out the seeds, essentially leaving the outer tomatoe without all the "reproductive seeds and juices". Its amazing what a difference that has made! I can eat them with no problem if I do this little bit of prep work. Just take out the seeds and rinse .... and I'm good to go. 

Nobody was more surprised or happier than I, that I could still eat tomatoes!  I put them on sandwiches, and in salads daily...with no more issues.  I haven't tried this with other varieties...although I'm planting 3 different varieties and will try this with them, as well to see if I can tolerate them. :) Hope this helps you!

Adalaide Mentor

That is actually quite interesting and I know a few people have tomato issues and may find that quite helpful. Sadly, my issue is not one that I can address with anything but avoidance at the moment. Until my condition is well under control, tomatoes and I can simply not be friends. I guess I am fortunate that none of my issues are allergies and once things are better I just have to find a comfort level for myself.

At this point though, I am counting down the two weeks until we start planting corn! And, there is nothing in the world stopping me from eating enough melons to turn into one. We saved seeds last year from an Israeli melon. It was so good! I'm thinking maybe some yellow watermelon and cantaloupe too, and we'll just pick up those starter plants down at the garden store.

IrishHeart Veteran

Florida does have its cold moments.

True, but those moments will not require the arsenal of parkas, boots, scarves, mittens, gloves, heavy sweaters, long johns and hats we own. :D 

One coat will suffice.

IrishHeart Veteran

. Until my condition is well under control, tomatoes and I can simply not be friends. I guess I am fortunate that none of my issues are allergies and once things are better I just have to find a comfort level for myself.

At this point though, I am counting down the two weeks until we start planting corn! And, there is nothing in the world stopping me from eating enough melons to turn into one. We saved seeds last year from an Israeli melon. It was so good! I'm thinking maybe some yellow watermelon and cantaloupe too, and we'll just pick up those starter plants down at the garden store.

Ditto on the toms.But we'll get them back.

I can't wait for the corn season here. July.

Ditto on the melons--all kinds. Love them! 

GottaSki Mentor

Hey Adalaide,

I'm a tomatoe lover too,! And with multiple food allergies, along with celiac disease, I was sad to find that tomatoes and I don't get along so well. BUT... because I'm stubborn, and do ridiculous amounts of research about everything...and always have... I decided to do a little research and try a few "tests" ...which I often do, to broaden my "safe food" list. After some trial and error I found that I can tolerate quite well actually.... Roma tomatoes ... IF ... I cut out the fleshy center and rinse out the seeds, essentially leaving the outer tomatoe without all the "reproductive seeds and juices". Its amazing what a difference that has made! I can eat them with no problem if I do this little bit of prep work. Just take out the seeds and rinse .... and I'm good to go. 

Nobody was more surprised or happier than I, that I could still eat tomatoes!  I put them on sandwiches, and in salads daily...with no more issues.  I haven't tried this with other varieties...although I'm planting 3 different varieties and will try this with them, as well to see if I can tolerate them. :) Hope this helps you!

This is awesome -- I too cannot eat tomatoes -- trialing heirloom tomato was suggested to me and I did do a bit better than with regular tomato -- left them on my no-no list for awhile -- now growing three different heirloom plants -- I am excited just thinking about trialing them when they are ready -- now I will start by removing the seeds, etc....Thanks for the great tip!!!

Archived