Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hrenee101

Working In A Kitchen With Gluten Foods

I've just recently been diagnosed with Celiac and i'm still waiting for the biopsy results to see the severity. My managers at work have been working with me but I've been reacting to just being in my work center, and I'm having to leave work early everyday or work out a way to get my shift covered so I don't have to go to work that day. I work with food and I have been reacting to just being near foods and not even touching it. Does anyone else have this problem and if so did it ever go away? 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I tried working as a cashier at a grocery store fairly a few months ago, and simply from the bags of flour and boxes of pancake mix getting on my clothes and my hands, I found I was getting glutened. Maybe if I hadn't needed a water bottle because I need it, or if it hadn't been constantly busy so I could, say, see someone with a flour product and call over someone else to take that order for me or something. 

If you really want to keep the job, could you wear a mask? That would help as long as you 'decontaminate' before you get home, throw all your clothes into a bag, then into the laundry, etc.

You will not become less sensitive to it though, no. 

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter