• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jkmunchkin

Do You Find You Miss Food You Barely Even Ate?

Rate this topic

I was just reading through some of the responses to "Do you ever miss the stupid things." and one of the last ones really kinda made me chuckle because it is also one of the things that for some reason I suddenly miss, yet I never really ate. Corn Dogs.

I think I've probably had a corn dog once in my entire life, but I can't tell you how much I've thought about them in the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone have this?

That is actually what I meant when I started the topic "Do You Ever Miss the Stupid Things?"

I didn't mean for it to be a depressing topic about our favorite foods that we can no longer eat! In my original post I said that I was "mourning" the fact that I couldn't eat those Little Debbie X-mas tree snack cakes - the ones with waxy chocolate that isn't even that good! And jelly donuts - which I ate MAYBE once a year. Truthfully, there are MANY gluten-free foods that are much better than these 2 things - but the mind is a powerful thing, and because I KNOW I can't have them, that makes me want them even more!

Well that's my theory on it. But yes, Jillian, I definitely relate :rolleyes:

- Lauren

That is actually what I meant when I started the topic "Do You Ever Miss the Stupid Things?"

I didn't mean for it to be a depressing topic about our favorite foods that we can no longer eat! In my original post I said that I was "mourning" the fact that I couldn't eat those Little Debbie X-mas tree snack cakes - the ones with waxy chocolate that isn't even that good!

- Lauren

LOL omg im just laughing cause i was at the supermarket with my bf just 2 days ago and saw those lil debbie xmas cakes, and i was making a sad face cause i cant eat them anymore...lol Like you said probably for the best, cause they were so fattening anyways. We are better off!

Right now, all i want is a Pop Tart. I maybe ate them once or twice a year before now, but that is all I want. And i dont just want one flavor, its like I want to have one of every flavor they have ever made them in.

So strange

Whenever I see twinkies or little debbies at the store...I want them so bad, but I never ate them before! Wierd! It's the old...we want what we can't have, hitting us hard! :P

Charlene

Nope I don't miss things that I hardly every ate (or didn't eat), I'm assuming because if I didn't eat them often I didn't really like them. I miss the things I use to eat all the time, pizza is number one and I've tried every gluten-free pizza crust I can get my hands on and they just aren't right. Believe it or not, I'd rather do without, but I sure do miss it.

Susan

The thing I miss at this time of year is Thumbprint cookies and shortbread cookies. They were my favorites, but I will live without them.

Found this for those of you who miss corndogs....

http://www.sbetterfarms.com/corndogs.htm

I'm a vegetarian, so I won't be trying them... but if anyone does, let us know how they are! :lol:

- Lauren

I have been craving corn dogs lately too.. and I rarely ate them before going gluten-free! Also Chinese spring rolls.. although I did eat those a lot.

Lisa

I have been craving corn dogs lately too.. and I rarely ate them before going gluten-free! Also Chinese spring rolls.. although I did eat those a lot.

You can make spring rolls out of rice paper, if you want to give it a try. Raw ones out of rice paper can be tasty as well, but you can also bake or fry them. I've found rice paper at asian markets, though do check the ingredients as there's a version that has wheat flour.

Right now, all i want is a Pop Tart. I maybe ate them once or twice a year before now, but that is all I want. And i dont just want one flavor, its like I want to have one of every flavor they have ever made them in.

So strange

I second the poptarts - mmmmm, strawberry with icing. I ate them maybe 1x every few years, but now I miss them :( The homemade gluten-free pies I make every so often do help though...... but can never be exactly the same.

Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I only ever had it about 3 times a year, but when I see the commercials on TV and they show those succulent looking chicken sandwiches, I about come undone. Interestingly, the day of my dx, my GI pretty much said to me "have whatever you want for dinner tonight, then tomorrow it's gluten-free". Had to think awhile what I wanted, but ended up with some good old K-fry! Just the smell of it makes me crazy...........

Nope I don't miss things that I hardly every ate (or didn't eat), I'm assuming because if I didn't eat them often I didn't really like them. I miss the things I use to eat all the time, pizza is number one and I've tried every gluten-free pizza crust I can get my hands on and they just aren't right. Believe it or not, I'd rather do without, but I sure do miss it.

Susan

The Kinnikinnick pizza crusts are just like the real thing, and I'm not a fan of their breads, so I was wary. The pizza crusts are worth the high price.

Well, I missed mostly foods I wanted to eat (pizza) or _did_ eat all the time (NY bagels)....

I guess in general, I took for granted that if you go somewhere and they have cookies out or the like, I could just eat what I wanted-- and now everthing has to be planned with little variety.

someone mentioned poptarts...i loved toasted chocolate poptarts with butter. i miss pizza and calzones (extra sauce please), and bagels more than most any foods i can think of. have found some substitute foods that get me by, but it's just not the same!

For some reason I really miss cookies alot. I wasnt a big cookie eater when I COULD have them but now I want them badly. I think about fig newtons, oreos, nutter butters, pepperidge farm cookies (the chocolate mint ones) and on and on....

JerseyAngel,

Thanks for finding that for me.