This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Is Your Most Annoying Symptom?

erin24

erin24 Explorer

I was just thinking...what is everyone's most annoying symptom/side effect of celiac? (fatigue, bloating, C, D, etc). I was just wondering if other people were just as annoyed with their bloating as me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dlp252 Apprentice

Dizziness. I'll be sitting here at my desk and all of a sudden feel like I'm going to fall out of my chair.

The second most annoying is the diarrhea.

VydorScope Proficient

I was gonan aswer this.. but I just cant think straight right now.....

Guhlia Rising Star

Definitely the major fatigue. When I get glutened I have to take a nap every day for usually about a week. I can't get out of bed in the morning. My two year old runs circles around me. The fatigue is definitely the worst for me.

jams Explorer

My left temple twitches for about a week. It is very obnoxious!

My second thing is my stomach gurguling. I just don't like that feeling. That lasts for a few days too.

Moongirl Community Regular

Bloating! I might as well be pregnant....im 5'3 about 105, then there is this huge belly, picture that now...lol

Then the uncomfortableness of the gut, yuck!

erin24 Explorer
Bloating! I might as well be pregnant....im 5'3 about 105, then there is this huge belly, picture that now...lol

Then the uncomfortableness of the gut, yuck!

Moongirl,

Me too. While I am not as petite as you, I look pregnant. Does your bloating come and go or (before you went gluten-free) were you always bloated?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

The most annoying to me are--

Fatigue--it is still hanging on despite enough and better sleep

Low abdominal cramping--especially after "going" in the morning (or whenever ;) )

Bloating--I start out ok in the AM, but my midsection gets bigger as the day goes on

aaascr Apprentice

Bloating, D, and itchy itchy rashes are all up there, but so is the fatigue - I

play on several soccer teams and hate when

I can't contribute... :angry:

penguin Community Regular
I was gonan aswer this.. but I just cant think straight right now.....

EXACTLY!

My face going numb and having the rest of my head on the ceiling is really annoying, especially at work. DH doesn't appreciate it either, my attention span goes from zero to negative...

The D is pretty annoying also, nothing like abandoning your cart a half hour into your wal-mart trip to ruin your day. And stinking up the place. Luckily Target has mini Oust air freshener so that I can do that public service of decontaminating the bathroom :ph34r: ...

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Mine is the D or always worring about it.

cgilsing Enthusiast

Bloating/cramps - It goes on for days and I look pregnant! (when I'm not) I've actually had strangers ask when I'm due! :blink: That's an akward moment! Now that I am actually pregnant if I get bloated there is even less room in there and it's really painful. :(

I don't have constant cramps, but they can strike at any moment for no reason - in the grocery store, at work, in the car......it's never when I'm at home and close to my own bathroom! :angry:

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just for a day...but it lasts upwards of a week!

aikiducky Apprentice

My GI symptoms aren't all that bad really (or I don't mind them so much) but the BRAIN FOG :blink: and fatigue are really annoying!

The most annoying symptom though is that I get very depressed when I get glutened, and that makes dealing with all the other symptoms so much harder. I mean, then I end up being depressed about being tired, and bloated, and so on...and I hate knowing that life doesn't feel like any fun due to a stupid gluten molecule, and not because my life actually sucks, because it doesn't.

Congratulations to anyone who understood the above sentence! You have been now officially diagnosed as having NO brainfog at this moment! :lol:

Pauliina

francelajoie Explorer

Gas..pretty much the only symptom I have.

Guest cassidy

brain fog, anxiety and irritability, all that bothers me much more than the intestinal symptoms

Estelle Newbie

Definitely the pain. I'm a tiny person but if I accidentally eat gluten *curses all the restaurants promising the meal I odered is gluten-free*, my belly balloons to a size of a house and is pretty #%!**@# painful. Not nice. As a result-crankiness and fatigue. :(

Nantzie Collaborator

EXTREMELY FOUL GAS and unpredictable, immediate DIARRHEA.

It meant that I couldn't GO anywhere. I couldn't go to the store, to the bank, to people's houses. There were even a couple funerals I missed and that family still doesn't know why I missed.

The worst though was when my dad was sick and after he died, I couldn't even go to church because the gas was so bad, and almost constant. There was NO WAY I could go to church like that. That was the worst because I had lost so much, and I couldn't even have that.

Other than that, my back was in so much pain, I could barely walk. Which even further dimished my ability to do anything other than sit on my booty.

Since going gluten-free though, even when I get glutened I really don't have a problem with gas, diarrhea or back pain.

So now, if I get glutened I get REALLY cranky and get a headache. But that's just from cross contamination or forgetting to read a label. I haven't cheated since going gluten-free, so I don't know what would happen if I actually ATE something gluten.

My husband and best friend would both agree that CRANKY is my most irritating symptom. :lol:

B)

Nancy

MallysMama Explorer

My worst symptom (and sometimes ONLY symptom) would be the gas! It comes usually in the evening/night and ruins any romantic time with my hubby. I think he'd say that was my worst symptom too - I'm never "in the mood" because I'm afraid of the noises my tummy's going to make. :D

anerissara Enthusiast

I'd have to say the D and bloating are the worst, however brain fog drives me nuts, being tired all the time isn't fun, the itchy rash I get is miserable, and the low cramping is crummy. Come to think of it, the whole thing pretty much stinks!

MattUK Newbie

Brain fog which is so depressing as i am a writer. Then the tiredness.

Guest BERNESES

this is a great question! For me I would say the mood swings and the NAUSEA. I get so nauseous I can't do anything. And it's not "normal' nausea- it's some foul mutation. UGH!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Gas and my non-stop general sense of malaize....

I also dislike having to explain this disease to EVERY person I meet.

mmaccartney Explorer

For me the pain is close to unbearable (I'm a lucky micro sensitive person!), however the most annoying is the nausea and belching. Not the actual act of belching, but the most retched, foul, rotten smell and taste that comes with the belching, and lasts around 7 hours (which has actually triggered vomiting).

I'll take every other symptom of mine over that!

Lisa Mentor

My most annoying symptom is when my husband askes me in the morning if I want a biscuit from McDonalds, then says...."oh I forgot". <_<

mookie03 Contributor

I'm with you Nantzie, no question about it, those emissions are THE WORST! :ph34r: Enough to make u never want to mess up on the diet, huh? :P

Archived