This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor
:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I guess he kind of was cute, a little older, mustache, really muscular, uniform, a gun strapped to his side, his hot ride with the flashing lights, shall I go on...

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Julie but... :lol::lol::lol:

Mayflowers,

Welcome to Rachelville. :D

If you would like to stay we are hiring for various positions. What is your field of expertise or interest?

Everyone is hired on the spot in Rachelville....as long as they are gluten free. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green12 Enthusiast
I've been trying to teach my kids to say Miss so and so or Mister so and so, using first names. They hear us use first names all the time so it's kind of difficult to teach them to say Mr or Mrs so and so. I was raised to call people by their first name so that probably doesn't help any. I did have one friend who's dad insisted on Mr, so that's how I addressed him. Years later I still called him Mr even though I was an adult.

This is how I was raised, Andrea, to address my elders as Mr. and Mrs, or Miss. I still call them that even though I am an adult now too, it's hard to break habit. :lol:

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip! Yes, I can get John Freida products here--they are widely available. I actually used to use their Wind Down Creme to blow dry, but someone on here said that it might not be gluten-free. I should check that out myself, because I loved that stuff. I've not used the serum--would I just run it thru my hair once I've let it dry naturally (curly?) Thank you Nikki--I'm a little obsessive about my hair :ph34r:

Aren't we all dahling :P ,(well maybe not Vincent,but he has got longhair though)

Yeah,you just rub a little in your palm and then run your hands through the mid lengths and ends.

Mind you Carla's tip of coconut oil would probably work just as well,just go easy on how much you use.

:)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Aren't we all dahling :P ,(well maybe not Vincent,but he has got longhair though)

Yeah,you just rub a little in your palm and then run your hands through the mid lengths and ends.

Mind you Carla's tip of coconut oil would probably work just as well,just go easy on how much you use.

:)

Yes, be very easy with it!! :blink:

This picture is the first and only, and probably last, time I had my hair professionally 'done'. It took hours to roll it and dry it and then tease it out and pin it into place. I would never have the patience to do that every day. I like to wash and go and not mess with it too much. I actually don't mind so much the curl, but I have so much of it, it's really really thick.

I was thinking it looked like that every day! :P I usually wash and go, too -- if I wash it ... :o The lady who cuts and colors finally has me convinced I don't have to wash and blow dry every day!

jerseyangel Proficient

I keep reading that those of us with naturally curly hair shouldn't wash our hair every day, but I do anyway :D Habit, I guess. I have tried washing every other day, and just rinsing/conditioner on the other days. My hair was longer, about collar length, when it began falling out a year and a half ago. When it started growing back in, post gluten-free, I had it cut :( so that the thin patches would blend in better. Now, it's thickening back up a bit, but it's taking forever to grow longer :angry: I need it to be about 3 inches longer!

Carla--thanx for the coconut oil tip--I am intolerant to coconut, so I can't try it. Sounds good, though. I just made the connection between my water filter (coconut hulls) and some of my lingering symptoms. Switched to spring water, and am doing better :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
I keep reading that those of us with naturally curly hair shouldn't wash our hair every day, but I do anyway :D Habit, I guess. I have tried washing every other day, and just rinsing/conditioner on the other days. My hair was longer, about collar length, when it began falling out a year and a half ago. When it started growing back in, post gluten-free, I had it cut :( so that the thin patches would blend in better. Now, it's thickening back up a bit, but it's taking forever to grow longer :angry: I need it to be about 3 inches longer!

Carla--thanx for the coconut oil tip--I am intolerant to coconut, so I can't try it. Sounds good, though. I just made the connection between my water filter (coconut hulls) and some of my lingering symptoms. Switched to spring water, and am doing better :)

Wow, never thought of water filter ... I've also used hand lotion, but only when it's frizzing out away from home. I don't even get it wet on days I don't wash, I just spray some water mixed with a little bit of conditioner in an old hair spray bottle. But I washed every day when it was short.

It does take forever to grow! Especially curly hair, mine is much longer when it's wet or straightened!! Yours looks cute in the photo.

jerseyangel Proficient
Wow, never thought of water filter ... I've also used hand lotion, but only when it's frizzing out away from home. I don't even get it wet on days I don't wash, I just spray some water mixed with a little bit of conditioner in an old hair spray bottle. But I washed every day when it was short.

It does take forever to grow! Especially curly hair, mine is much longer when it's wet or straightened!! Yours looks cute in the photo.

Thanks! I like it a little longer, but it'll get there eventually. Isn't it funny when you blow it dry straight, it suddenly looks like it grew 3 inches!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
Thanks! I like it a little longer, but it'll get there eventually. Isn't it funny when you blow it dry straight, it suddenly looks like it grew 3 inches!! :D

Yea, I hadn't blown my out in months and did the other day. My kids couldn't believe how long it's gotten. It's started growing fast again, my nails, too.

Maybe you just need to blow it out until it grows that three inches!

Jean-Luc Rookie
Maybe you just need to blow it out until it grows that three inches!

:lol::P:rolleyes::lol:

In any case at least you all have hair. :o

penguin Community Regular

Touche.

Camille'sBigSister Newbie

I took the day off, and now I'm annoyed with myself. I've gotten so far behind! :blink:

I still have a couple of pages left to read, but in the meantime: CELIA, how wonderful about your grandbaby! :D I have 18, but only one lives in Georgia.

EVIE, so happy for you about the good report on your husband! PTL indeed!

EVERYONE, I'll be happy to teach our new vocabulary to our miraculous, protective, auxigro-detecting geese. The dingos don't need rubber teeth, as Susan has them well-trained. However, I do hope they bark; that's how they can intimidate the geese.

ROBBIN, yep, your husband would fit very well in my husband's world! :lol:

By the way, CELIA, the real crazies in the world are boring, pessimistic, humorless folks totally devoid of imagination. We, the people of Rachelville, soar above the masses, accompanied by our miraculous, protective, auxigro-detecting geese, of course! I'm thinking of a line from a poem, "Cambridge ladies live in cloistered souls ...." Help me out here, SUSAN.

Maybe I'll have time to catch up with y'all after dinner.

Cissie

jerseyangel Proficient

:lol::lol: Picard! I guess that puts it in perspective ;)

Daxin Explorer
When I used to work retail I refered to every man as "Sir" and every woman as "Ma'am", reguardless of age. I just saw it as being respectful. You ladies read to much in to things....

I agree! Try not to read too much into it. <_<

And since we are all vying for jobs on our cult-farm utopia thingy....I'd like to put in for town handy man. Not that we'd need one if everything is supposed to be perfect.

Trying to get caught up....

I too can not handle too much in the way of a massage...dw is a massage therapist, and when she tries to even affectionatle rub my shoulders, it hurts like HE$$.

Catch up with the rest later, have to get back to work,

Ryan (The elephant with the spots)

NIKKI, I'm allergic to latex, so I buy unpowdered vinyl gloves from a company in New Jersey, George Glove Company. I use a lot of them when I'm painting.

Ma'am and Miss Firstname are fine with me; it's a custom here in the South. But just wait until you're old (I'm 73.), and some stupid, middle-aged, male (It's always a male!), sales clerk calls you "young lady." The idiots think I'm stupid and senile enough to be flattered!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: A couple of years ago I decided to stop giving them a polite smile, and began a campaign to re-educate them. Now, when an idiot calls me "young lady," I say, "I know you think you're flattering me, but you aren't. I'm old, and you're insulting my intelligence." :D:D:D

Cissie

Jean-Luc Rookie
Touche.

Not really, I do not mind being bald. My hairline is quite recessed, so I guess I could grow it in. But it is also very grey and white if I do making me look older than I am. B)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Not really, I do not mind being bald. My hairline is quite recessed, so I guess I could grow it in. But it is also very grey and white if I do making me look older than I am. B)

Hmmm, I wonder what color my hair is??? :P

VydorScope Proficient

I got a question, and this is prbly to far of topic to get an answer... but can Rachel have dairy now?

Mango04 Enthusiast
By the way, CELIA, the real crazies in the world are boring, pessimistic, humorless folks totally devoid of imagination. We, the people of Rachelville, soar above the masses, accompanied by our miraculous, protective, auxigro-detecting geese, of course! I'm thinking of a line from a poem, "Cambridge ladies live in cloistered souls ...." Help me out here, SUSAN.

Maybe I'll have time to catch up with y'all after dinner.

Cissie

LOL :lol::lol::lol: Sorry I can't help it. I laugh out loud every time I read about the miraculous, protective auxigro-detecting gesse. :lol: They are awesome. I think I even saw that they were being discussed in another thread earlier. Gosh, our geese are becoming popular.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I got a question, and this is prbly to far of topic to get an answer... but can Rachel have dairy now?

I think she set that concept aside about 160 pages ago...

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Fiddle-Faddle --You and I are sooooo on the same page with the mistrust of the medical profession. Do you have any advice for a musically illiterate 45 yr old who always wanted to play an instrument other than the harmonica? Is it too late, has my musical ability section of the brain closed down forever?!!

Okay, I'm only on page 167, so I'm at least 7 pages behind, but I'm posting this anyway because if I ait til I'm caught up, we'll all be in retirement homes....(Does Rachelville have retirement homes?)

Robbin--IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!!!!!

I would suggest Suzuki violin or piano lessons. Piano is initially more rewarding, because as long as someone has tuned the piano (or if you are playing on an electric keyboard), it sounds pretty good quite soon. BUT, with violin, even though it is tougher at the beginning, you eventually get to play with other people, like string quartets and community orchestras, who will usually let anybody join who wants to, even if all they do is hold the violin under their chin.

Suzuki lessons are also offered for viola, cello, flute, harp, and guitar. Viola is harder to play than violin (it's BIGGER, for one thing). Cello is a pain in the patootie to carry around (I know because my son plays cello), BUT I gotta admit the cello has the most beautiful sound of all instruments (at least to my ears). Flute adds another variable: breathing. Harp is lovely, but you need a moving truck to move it anywhere, and all those strings are very expensive to replace if they break. Guitar Suzuki-style is kind of boring--if you want to play guitar, folk or country would be much more fun (like John Denver!). So, I'd recommend violin (yes, I'm biased!)

The idea behind the Suzuki method is that there's no such thing as someone who has no musical ability; EVERYONE has musical ability. You can probably sing by heart the theme song of the 6:00 news, or the music to "Sex and the City," right? That's because you hear it so often. So with the Suzuki violin lessons, they give you a celiac disease to listen to, and you are supposed to play it at least once a day. You don't have to actively listen to it, you can just have it on as background noise while you cook dinner, work on the computer, whatever.

By the end of 2 weeks,not only will you have all the songs (and they are really nice little songs!) memorized in order, but you will have the sound of a what-a-beautifully-played-violin-should-sound-like permanently burned in your brain, so when you try the first song (which is Twinkle), your brain will automatically correct your fingers if you play it wrong (this is assuming you're also taking lessons so that the teacher can show you how to properly hold the thing and which fingers to use when, etc.)

It's easier for the little kids to learn this because they don't screw themselves up by thinking too much. But it's certainly possible for an adult to learn! Unfortunately, some Suzuki teachers get all snobby--one of my friends was told that her 5-year-old daughter was too OLD to learn. Obviously, that's total horsepoop. And some teachers say that they teach Suzuki violin--but all they do is use the Suzuki book, but they have no idea how to teach by ear (which is how you start--you learn to read music only after you've figured out how to make a nice sound and play in tune, so you don't get distracted with the eye-hand-coordination aspect of reading music).

What city are you in? I mean, prior to your move to Rachelville?

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have heard good things about the Suzuki method. I'm a flute player myself ... breathing is a big part of it! Recorder is an easy, non-harmonica instrument. You don't usually play them with groups, although I've heard wonderful recorder ensembles. It might help you decide whether you really want to learn something more difficult or not. And it's a small investment both time-wise, and money-wise.

dlp252 Apprentice
And since we are all vying for jobs on our cult-farm utopia thingy....I'd like to put in for town handy man. Not that we'd need one if everything is supposed to be perfect.

Trying to get caught up....

Oh, we'll need one...I am good at breaking things. :)

:lol:

LOL :lol::lol::lol: Sorry I can't help it. I laugh out loud every time I read about the miraculous, protective auxigro-detecting gesse. :lol: They are awesome. I think I even saw that they were being discussed in another thread earlier. Gosh, our geese are becoming popular.

HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!! I'm Minister of Defense in charge of our miraculous, protective, auxigro-detecting geese, and the dingos and I have been looking all over Rachelville for them! We're a bit miffed this evening. :angry: We don't mind sharing them, but they should have had the courtesy to let us know where they were going!

Cissie

<<<raising hand>>>>> I know the answer.... NOPE she can't.

Yeah... our geese are even flying to other threads and now they are non-pooping geese :D

Ooops! I totally forgot (brain fog) to tell y'all that they only poop when in Gluten Land. They never poop in Rachelville! ;)

So where the heck are they now?

Cissie

Umm ummm Dingo took them over there ----> :unsure:

Thanks, Celia. I'm on it.

Cissie

Archived