This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bacon

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Okay, I figure bacon is no good for you based on all the weird ingredients on the package. However, do any of these things spell gluten? In case I wanted to taste the tiniest bite of bacon after 15 years sans meat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mmaccartney Explorer

It really depends on the ingredients, and the manufactoring process. If you have plain, unaltered bacon you are probably safe.

I use Sugardale peppered bacon, have not had a problem. However if you get something with any seasonings you have to check!

The best advice is to always call the company, or talk to the butcher. Don't forget cross contamination issues at the butcher as well!

jerseyangel Proficient

I eat Oscar Mayer Bacon :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Applegate Farms makes a good organic bacon. The ingredients aren't too weird.

Nantzie Collaborator

Mmmm... Bacon....

B)

eeyor-fan Contributor
Okay, I figure bacon is no good for you based on all the weird ingredients on the package. However, do any of these things spell gluten? In case I wanted to taste the tiniest bite of bacon after 15 years sans meat.

Jenny O Turkey Bacon is gluten-free, is lower in fat and better for you than real bacon.

Hugs

Bridge

wolfie Enthusiast

I use Louis Rich Turkey Bacon (Kraft company so they will label any gluten). It is yummy! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Take it easy on the meat ... Start out small!! I'd see if there are enzymes you can take to help with digestion as you add meat back to your diet, maybe the health food store will know.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Take it easy on the meat ... Start out small!! I'd see if there are enzymes you can take to help with digestion as you add meat back to your diet, maybe the health food store will know.

Oh I know. I've actually only eaten chicken so far, and I started out very small and built up. I really only want one bite of the bacon. I take a full spectrum digestive enzyme that I think covers meat stuff, so that should help. PLUS, I LOVE the fermented veggies - the raw sauerkraut - that is supposed to help digest meat too. I think I'm alright. I know what you mean though. I had to pick up Burger King for my husband and friend last night who were working late getting our rental ready to put up for sale, and it was the first time since I was dx'd that I thought, "why can't I just be a regular person" and get a hamburgler every now and again.

Boo hoo.

I know, I'm healthier than that. But on rare occassion, boo hoo.

CarlaB Enthusiast

And Burger King SMELLS so good!! I usually find smelling to be enough. It's the best part anyway!! You walk into a house where they're baking chocolate chip cookies, it smells so good! I think that's as enjoyable as actually eating the cookies!

kaciemarie Contributor

Hormel Black Label Bacon is glute free (both regular and maple)! I have been eating it all along and have had no problems.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Coleman Natural is the only brand I've seen that is nitrite-free. I haven't researched nitrites (Gee, I guess I should--we could add that to the sulfite thread), but nitrite-preserved foods like bacon, smoked turkey, baloney, etc., are the only things that ever gave me pimples--and I see the same reaction now in my 11-year-old son.

My mother was clever enough to do an elimination diet on me a million years ago--but back then, gluten didn't give me any problems!

Lister Rising Star

burgerking smells like nasty grease( i should know all my clothes constantly smell like it :( )\

oh for bacon

hormal black label is good and gluten-free

rinne Apprentice
You walk into a house where they're baking chocolate chip cookies, it smells so good! I think that's as enjoyable as actually eating the cookies!

Too funny, I'm getting to be the same way.

I almost cooked up some bacon today but then thought twice, just in case, and am glad to find this thread talking about it. What stopped me was concern about the nitrates and what brought up the concern was the reaction I had to half a glass of white wine. I used to be able to drink white wine, the red started triggering migraines years ago, but this time the white wine gave me a massive headache and I am thinking sulfites.

So, nitrates, does anyone react to them?

CarlaB Enthusiast
burgerking smells like nasty grease( i should know all my clothes constantly smell like it :( )\

If I had to work there every day, I'd feel the same way. But, if you only drive by occasionally, it sure smells good from the car!

lonewolf Collaborator
I almost cooked up some bacon today but then thought twice, just in case, and am glad to find this thread talking about it. What stopped me was concern about the nitrates

Trader Joe's has a yummy turkey bacon (that I think is Applegate Farms in disguise) that is nitrate/nitrite free. It tastes more like Canadian style bacon than "regular" bacon, but we all like it. It's even good on pizza!

I avoid nitrites/nitrates just because I think they're unhealthy, but I don't know if I have any real reaction to them. I was so sick when I started eliminating foods that I pretty much eliminating everything just to be safe and haven't wanted to add many chemicals back in.

Lillyth Explorer

Wow. I can't believe no one's mentioned Niman Ranch yet...

Niman Ranch BABY!

They are the best. go to their website sometime when you are feeling particularly strong-stomached. Read up on all the things they DON'T allow at their farms - which makes one think these things MUST go on at other farms, or they wouldn't put them in their rule book. ***If you don't want to potentially be grossed out, please skip ahead to the next paragraph*** Things like, no feeding of human waste to the cattle. There's more too, but that's the one I remember most.

All thier meats are great, but I especially love their applewood smoked bacon.

L

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I've never seen it--where do you buy it, and where are they located????

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I buy my bacon from Market Day (www.marketday.com). It's kind of like Schwan's or GFS, but is also a fundraisor for schools and churches!! I buy a lot of there - the frozen veggies are the best. But the best thing is that every item has little symbols and there's even a wheat free one so you know if it's safe!

The bacon is precooked and frozen, just a few seconds in the microwave and it comes out perfect (and with no clean up!!!!) every time.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Welshire Farms also makes gluten free bacon.

The vast majority of bacon is gluten-free, but we've had reports of one or two that do have gluten (McDonalds? - can someone confirm that?), so always check ingredients. But Neiman Ranch has always reviewed quite well, and I've seen Trader Joe's carry it as well.

jerseyangel Proficient
Welshire Farms also makes gluten free bacon.

I forgot about Welshire Farms! That bacon is really good--the only place I ever found it here was Whole Foods, but if you can find it--yum! :D

Lillyth Explorer

I get mine at Trader Joe's.

queenofhearts Explorer
Oh I know. I've actually only eaten chicken so far, and I started out very small and built up. I really only want one bite of the bacon. I take a full spectrum digestive enzyme that I think covers meat stuff, so that should help. PLUS, I LOVE the fermented veggies - the raw sauerkraut - that is supposed to help digest meat too. I think I'm alright. I know what you mean though. I had to pick up Burger King for my husband and friend last night who were working late getting our rental ready to put up for sale, and it was the first time since I was dx'd that I thought, "why can't I just be a regular person" and get a hamburgler every now and again.

Boo hoo.

I know, I'm healthier than that. But on rare occassion, boo hoo.

I was a strict vegetarian for 14 years; now I eat fish & chicken but still only occasionally. I can't abide the sight or smell of beef or pork EXCEPT for bacon, which has always smelled delicious to me, even when I wouldn't eat it-- I really don't understand it at all! I consider bacon, something like anchovies, as more a flavoring element than an actual food. In tiny quantities I can tolerate it but wouldn't even try making it a major part of the meal. I like just a bit in a quiche or omelette, that sort of thing. Or in a dish of braised greens & garlic. I still would recommend using only the natural stuff; after all if you are only using a little it's affordable!

Leah

tarnalberry Community Regular
I consider bacon, something like anchovies, as more a flavoring element than an actual food.

That is exactly how it's used in *many* recipes. (Heck, many use a ham bone in the recipe, and then take it out before serving!)

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Jenny O Turkey Bacon is gluten-free, is lower in fat and better for you than real bacon.

Hugs

Bridge

Eeyor,

Have you checked Jennie-O's ingredients lately on their Turkey bacon?? It has wheat gluten listed in the ingredients (my roommate just bought some and I looked at it).

I'm not trying to call you out, but it says "wheat gluten" right on the label.

Also, Farmer John's bacon has soy sauce in it so it also has gluten.

For me, there is NOTHING better than Hormel's Thick Cut Coowboy Bacon (sold in 2 lb packages). Good lord that is good bacon!

Archived