This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Suggestions On Cookbooks?

micaldrew

micaldrew Newbie

I am sort of new on this whole gluten free stuff. I tried this gluten-free diet over 3 years ago and it did not go well for me. I just didn't know what I was doing. I am going to really do it this time. I need to get a cookbook for meals. Does anyone have any favorites they could share with me? I bought one a while ago but was not impressed. Please help!! Thank you!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I bought The Best Gluten Free Family Cookbook and 125 Best Gluten Free Recipes by Donna Washburn. I haven't used them much so don't know if they'd appeal to you or not. I also have Annalise Roberts cookbook Gluten Free Baking Classics, which has breads, muffins, cakes, cookies type stuff.

Rusla Enthusiast

Betty Hagmans books are great and there is quite a few of them.

Pilgrim South Rookie
I am sort of new on this whole gluten free stuff. I tried this gluten-free diet over 3 years ago and it did not go well for me. I just didn't know what I was doing. I am going to really do it this time. I need to get a cookbook for meals. Does anyone have any favorites they could share with me? I bought one a while ago but was not impressed. Please help!! Thank you!!

My favorite is Carol Fensters "Special Diet Solutions" AND, The recipes on Bob's Red Mill internet site. Open Original Shared Link

Guhlia Rising Star

Anything by Bette Hagman is worth having. You can search by author on amazon .com. The Gluten Free Kitchen by Robin Ryberg is excellent. Also, The Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids cookbook by Shari L. Sanderson. Those are all good. You may also want to check out Living Gluten Free for Dummies. It's one of the yellow and black dummies books. There aren't a ton of recipes, but there's great information about the diet.

emcmaster Collaborator

I have to say that while I love gluten-free cookbooks for baking, I've not been impressed with gluten-free cookbooks for meals.

I've had the best luck by looking for regular recipes and substituting gluten-free ingredients. Open Original Shared Link has a fantastic recipe collection.

Guhlia Rising Star

oh yeah... for online recipes, both allrecipes.com and epicurious.com have a gluten free recipe section. most recipes can easily be adapted to be gluten free or are already naturally gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JenKuz Explorer

The Real Food Daily cookbook by Anne Gentry is good for recipes that are gluten- and dairy-free. Some of the recipes do actuallyc all for flours, but they are easy to substitute.

GFBetsy Rookie

Check out "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely . . . it's not a gluten free cookbook, but many of her recipes are naturally gluten free or very easily modified. And they are all really good. She's also got a website, which I think is www.savingdinner.com

Good luck!

kelly z Rookie
Check out "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely . . . it's not a gluten free cookbook, but many of her recipes are naturally gluten free or very easily modified. And they are all really good. She's also got a website, which I think is www.savingdinner.com

Good luck!

Hey gluten-free Betsy...by any chance are you a flybaby? Odd question (if you aren't...but I am).

Kelly

clbevilacqua Explorer

If I could only own 1 gluten free cookbook it would be "The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Robyn Ryberg. Basic comfort food, and for the most part, easy to follow and make. The best thing is that you don't need a bunch of flours as most, if not all, of her recipes use only corn starch and potato starch.

Good cooking! And hang in there as there is a learning curve involved in gluten-free baking.

-Cathy

anerissara Enthusiast

I second the "Saving Dinner" cookbook...really excellent, yummy, healthy meals and they give you a weekly shopping list with everything you need for the entire week's dinners. I have rarely had to discount a meal in her book due to gluten, almost always you can just change a few ingredients and you're good to go. It really made a difference in our family meals, and I recommend it to everybody!

I did flylady for awhile, it's a great website!

jerseyangel Proficient
If I could only own 1 gluten free cookbook it would be "The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Robyn Ryberg. Basic comfort food, and for the most part, easy to follow and make. The best thing is that you don't need a bunch of flours as most, if not all, of her recipes use only corn starch and potato starch.

-Cathy

I completely agree! This is the cookbook I reach for most often :)

GFBetsy Rookie
Hey gluten-free Betsy...by any chance are you a flybaby? Odd question (if you aren't...but I am).

Kelly

Totally! Working on Baby-Steps! :)

Mountaineer Josh Apprentice

The best book I've purchased so far is the Annalise Roberts' book Gluten Free Baking Classics. I can't get over how great the breads and cakes are. She's done something right. The pumpkin bread I made was just like a wheat pumpkin bread. My wife made herself a regular loaf and they looked just alike. Unlike other recipes I've had in the past, Annalise recipes actually rise like regular loaves of bread. Most gluten-free recipes are gritty and dense.

mamatide Enthusiast

For those who might be interested in ethnic recipes, Nancy Baker has written a recipe book called Globally Gluten Free where she collected recipes from around the world in her capacity as a wife to a diplomat. She just released a second edition and I believe you can even get in electronically (as an e-book) for $10, or in print form.

I've tried some of the recipes and look forward to trying more, in particular her croissant recipe which looks complicated but sounds promising enough to be worth the effort.

Open Original Shared Link

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Mamatide

I heard that book was a keeper. Maybe you could share the croissant recipe from the book. I know that with Annalise Roberts "Classic Baking) she allow her recipes to be copied as long as we use her name & cookbook.....

I haven't been able to find the Globally Gluten Free one yet.(Locally) Are alot of the recipes high end?

mamaw

• 5 months later...
Gwendolene Rookie
For those who might be interested in ethnic recipes, Nancy Baker has written a recipe book called Globally Gluten Free where she collected recipes from around the world in her capacity as a wife to a diplomat. She just released a second edition and I believe you can even get in electronically (as an e-book) for $10, or in print form.

I've tried some of the recipes and look forward to trying more, in particular her croissant recipe which looks complicated but sounds promising enough to be worth the effort.

Has anyone tried the croissant recipe? Would it be worth buying the book for?

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

I love Karen Robertson's book. I think it's called Cooking Gluten-Free. It has everything- from baking breads and muffins to making gluten-free meals. It has some basic recipes and some more elaborate recipes too.

We've really enjoyed the gluten-free granola recipe in this book and I've tried some of the main course dishes too.

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

Gluten-free croissants! Are you kidding! WOW that would be great.

BTW- we made gluten-free cream puffs recently and they were really good. Here is the recipe:

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I've been trying to adapt all of my own recipes with replacing with gluten free options.

I have a blog - Open Original Shared Link . I share my weekly menus and recipes, if you're interested in looking at it, go for it (don't feel pressured too, no biggie).

Also if you google gluten free recipes you can find A LOT of FREE information....Even Open Original Shared Link andOpen Original Shared Link have a lot of gluten free recipes.

Sorry, I'm a cheapskate - I'm not one to pay for something I can get for free :D LOL

Slackermommy Rookie

I have yet to buy a gluten free cookbook, I find that the recipe sites people have already mentioned work well for me, and the gluten free blogs people have made are a fabulous resource. There are at least a half dozen that have wonderful recipes.

Can they be posted here? (if you are interested)

You could also do a blog search, type gluten free, and a list will come up...

I hope you find some good stuff!!

mellajane Explorer

I agree the Betty Hagman cookbooks have been very helpful.I I use the comfort foods and a wheat and gluten free revised additon.

dragonmom Apprentice

The Gluten Free Kitchen has the best tasting corn bread, biscuits and cinnamon rolls that I have tasted in 2 years. My family like all of these = I come from a biscuit and gravey back ground and this is pretty good. :rolleyes: Some times I add a little rice flour to put a little more texure in some of but not really necessary.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

my favorite cookbook is "Life Tastes Good Again" from www.eatingglutenfree.com

Archived