Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hebsten

Non-celiacs And Gluten-free Diet

Hi- I am not a celiac but have adopted a completely gluten-free diet since my partner was diagnosed three months ago. I do not feel unhealthy although I get occassional stomach pains.

I cannot find any information on the impact of a gluten-free diet on non-celiacs. Are there any dangers and/or side effects? I'm especially concerned that I might not get all the nutrients I need. Should I take any supplements?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

H

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The gluten-free diet is perfectly healthy, and you don't miss anything by cutting out gluten grains. As long as you eat meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts you should be perfectly fine.

The value of nutrition from grains is highly overrated, and of course, the grain farmers do their utmost in advertising to make you believe you need grains for health.

Taking a good mulitvitamin is a good idea nevertheless, as these days the soil food is grown in is often depleted, and it is almost impossible to get everything you need just from food nowadays.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only finding that's every been made about a gluten free diet being nutritionally questionable is in the area of folic acid, as wheat flour and wheat-based bread products have folic acid added to them as an 'extra'. the idea that not getting additives to give you enough folic acid, however, assumes that you're eating a fairly crappy diet to begin with. if you're eating healthy foods, and not snarfing down crap most of the time, you're going to be fine, if not healthier.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA