This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depressing Teeth Decay Problem

Alternative mama

Alternative mama Apprentice

I went to the dentist today b/c I have a cracked/broken tooth. It has been bothering me for a long time but just this week it broke and I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I expected the dentist to tell me I might have to have a root canal but I wasn't expecting the news I got. I was told I have 16 cavities and need 2 root canals, 2 crowns and 1 tooth reconstruction. I was overwhelmed. It was just a reminder of the toll this stupid disease has taken on my body. I'm not normally an emotional person but today I just broke down and cried when I got in my car. It's getting harder to keep my positive attitude with dx like this.

I have recently changed my diet to a mostly raw vegan diet after my nutritionist tested me and told me I now can't eat ANY grains, beef or coffee in addition to the gluten and dairy elimination. I've been working with her for a while trying to heal my gut and possibly get rid of some of these food allergies eventually. It has been taking all my energy to focus on raw eating and all my extra supplements and such and now I found out that my uphill battle just got harder. Does it ever end?? Is there truly a way to fix some of the damage this stupid disease has caused to my body? Or am I working hard for nothing?

Sorry for venting but this has just been such a frustrating day.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Morrisun Newbie

I'm so sorry! I've been through something similar. Right before I was diagnosed I had 11 cavities in one year!!! :o Right now I'm having to be fitted for a mouth guard because I grind my teeth so bad at night I'm breaking them off. It's so not fun. I can definitely empathize with you!! ((hugs))

hayley3 Contributor

Me too! I just got some of mine fixed temporarily. I need about 4 crowns, minimum.

I have osteoporosis and a vitamin D deficiency. I was hoping the vitamin D would help with the teeth.

It is so embarrassing to go to the dentist because you feel like a failure at dental hygiene, even though it's not your fault.

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Im so sorry too! That would make me cry too. Im going on two and a half years gluten free and my issues are still coming out. My most recent one was two weeks ago, I bawled but it just gets to be a bit much. Im just thankful that my daughter is gluten-free ( and has been since she was 1) so she doesnt have these issues herself when she is older but its hard not knowing what other autoimmune disorders are going to pop up. Im going on three in 1 1/2 years. Im a vegan too (Mcdougall) and I hope it puts a stop to alot of my issues and helps me in the future. I hope both of us see the issues stop coming out soon.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

I can't believe how timely this thread is! I went to the dentist Friday and I have 5 new cavities, my crown is leaking and needs replaced and my bridge is leaking and needs replaced! $5900!!!! I have insurance but still have to pay like 20% of it. :(

Last year I had 4 cavities and needed a root canal and I thought, just take care of it and you will be good for a while. Nope here I am again. The hygenist said my brushing is great. No problems with my gums, barely any scraping, I floss, I brush.... It is embarrasing! They gave me a perscription mouthwash to use every night that should help. It says it helps with sensitivity too, which I have terribly. I have to brush with warm water or it kills me.

I don't think I've had my calcium and D levels checked, maybe thats it or maybe its weak enamel.

But, I sympathize! You're not alone!

:D <--------- (nice teeth, huh)

evie Rookie
I went to the dentist today b/c I have a cracked/broken tooth. It has been bothering me for a long time but just this week it broke and I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I expected the dentist to tell me I might have to have a root canal but I wasn't expecting the news I got. I was told I have 16 cavities and need 2 root canals, 2 crowns and 1 tooth reconstruction. I was overwhelmed. It was just a reminder of the toll this stupid disease has taken on my body. I'm not normally an emotional person but today I just broke down and cried when I got in my car. It's getting harder to keep my positive attitude with dx like this.

I have recently changed my diet to a mostly raw vegan diet after my nutritionist tested me and told me I now can't eat ANY grains, beef or coffee in addition to the gluten and dairy elimination. I've been working with her for a while trying to heal my gut and possibly get rid of some of these food allergies eventually. It has been taking all my energy to focus on raw eating and all my extra supplements and such and now I found out that my uphill battle just got harder. Does it ever end?? Is there truly a way to fix some of the damage this stupid disease has caused to my body? Or am I working hard for nothing?

I ertainly can feel for you about the tooth problems...Mine started a few years before DX then all of

of a sudden I needed 2 teeth removed after rotting from iside out. every year since then i need a few cavities filled or old fillings replaced. My dentist does have to remove HARD plaque every 6 motnhs and thinks I neglect my teeth but I DO NOT. Just seems I have so much plaque devlop on my teeth and cause problems, am concerned I may have to have more pulled and a new bridge made, $$$/ no dental insurance. sounds like you work very hard on your diet and maybe your teeth will catch up to a better place soon..me too. Hang i n there !!! :D evie

Mom23boys Contributor

Add me to the list. :( I go in a week for a complete exam. I just got finished with an emergency treatment for a broken tooth. DH is beyond shocked. I always get blamed for neglecting my teeth yet I have a DH who is ready to turn me into a mental hospital because of my obsession with taking care of them!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

As you have seen you are not alone. It is hard to believe that in other countries dentists are often the first to suggest celiac testing, here we just get grief because they think we only brush out teeth right before the visit. It is disgusting. A lot of us would have been diagnosed in childhood because the effects on our mouth in other countries, but not here. Make sure your dentist knows to check products he uses. You don't need him glutening you during the restoration process. The ADA really needs to wake up.

psipsina Rookie
It is so embarrassing to go to the dentist because you feel like a failure at dental hygiene, even though it's not your fault.

This is the worst part for me. I have so much anxiety going to a dentist because they all treat me like I've just been neglectful of my dental health and its very demeaning. Before I knew about everything that was really going on in my body one dentist accused me of being bulimic because of the wear on my teeth and all my cavities. I even have one tooth in the back that is missing completely and I'm in my twenties. I'm mortified about it and smile funny to make sure no one can see it. I dream of some davinci veneers.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

ugh...I'm 16 and have something like 8 or 9 cavities. If I have one more dentist yell at me for not brushing well I'm going to scream. I know I have at least one right now that I need to get filled, but I have nasty reactions to novacaine, plus I doubt my dentist is knowledgable about gluten-free dentsitry (haven't gone since official DX).

My teeth are crazy sensitive too...I can't bite into an apple that's been in the fridge. I have to cut it up. And when I was younger I had the hardest time w/ ice cream cones :)

I do feel better knowing that this seems to be a common theme for Celiacs. My 2 root canals are scheduled for Monday and because my gut is such a mess I am now allergic to all prescription pain killers. So I'm thinking the recovery is going to be just loads of fun with nothing but a bottle of IB profen :( I swear every time my dentist came near me today at the exam I would ask if what he had was gluten free and latex free. He started on the "It happened b/c of your lousy diet and not brushing enough" speech but I nipped that in the bud reminding him that Celiac is a malabsorption/malnutrition problem and I was pretty darn sure that my diet was better than his or anyone else he has ever seen walk through his doors. (sigh) Still, it's so frustrating. We're going to try and wait on all the cavities until Hubby can hopefully find a job and get dental insurance. But the Root canal and crowns can't wait :(

I swear this has got to be one of the most expensive diseases!

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I read this and I want to cry. I remember as a teenager, going to the dentist and having a mouthful of cavities, being reminded that I was not brushing my teeth good enough, yet knowing I was---now, realizing that probably even then the damage was being done and we didn't even know! :(

I have to wonder about this disease and what we know. They say that something triggers it, but is that so true? Does it change as it progresses? Can you have silent celiac which changes in time? As I have stated before, my sister was vitamin deficient at a very young age, caught eating dirt and stones, then put on this liquid vitimin--we're sure that was the beginning for her. Yet, her truly noticable syptoms did not start until in her 20's. so, maybe it's silent for a time, then something triggers it and makes it change to another level? So, maybe my cavities were just another missed symptom. We were 42 and 45 when we found out about celiac disease.

She and I were just talking about the damage to our teeth a few weeks ago, each wondering the same things you were all wondering, neither of us realizing the other had so much damage. I have broken teeth, some gone, some loose, as does she. She voiced the same concerns all of you are voicing and the same I have been wondering about.

There is so much we do not know yet with this disease.

hayley3 Contributor
I have to wonder about this disease and what we know. They say that something triggers it, but is that so true? Does it change as it progresses? Can you have silent celiac which changes in time? As I have stated before, my sister was vitamin deficient at a very young age, caught eating dirt and stones, then put on this liquid vitimin--we're sure that was the beginning for her. Yet, her truly noticable syptoms did not start until in her 20's. so, maybe it's silent for a time, then something triggers it and makes it change to another level? So, maybe my cavities were just another missed symptom. We were 42 and 45 when we found out about celiac disease.

There is so much we do not know yet with this disease.

I was wondering about this, and I wondered about the antibiotics. I know that alot of us have our gallbladder removed and of course you have to have antibiotics then. I read somewhere that the pancreas starts to digest the gluten and then the remaining gluten proteins are digested by some bacteria and that's where the celiac system fails. Wish I had bookmarked that now. I drink buttermilk sometimes and that seems to help me but taking probiotics didn't. Hmmmm, something to think about.

gfcookie Newbie

I probably put my dentists children trhough college. I had root canals as a small child, a kabillion cavities (was always told to stop eating candy), and now most of my adult teeth are filled in/ capped/ sealed. I feel your pain. But, teeth are VERY very very important, so just bite the bullet and get them taken care of.

AliB Enthusiast

Nobody seems to realise the damage that is caused by Gluten Intolerance. Celiac Disease is just one end result of being Gluten Intolerant. It starts long before the gut is so severely damaged that Celiac finally shows up.

Even low-level gluten intolerance will over a period of time interfere with and damage the way the gut works and stop it absorbing nutrients properly which is why people become sick. If the cells and organs are not getting the nutrients they need they cease to function effectively.

I have a list showing all symptoms that are linked to just Gluten Intolerance - not Celiac, the damage starts long before it gets to that stage. One symptom is Dental Enamel Hypoplasia. It is an underdevelopment of the Enamel. This starts early in childhood with Gluten Intolerance and will show up sooner or later as we age.

It makes me angry that things like this are not being picked up by the Medical Profession. They do not look for deficiencies or malabsorption. I am fortunate that my teeth appear to have remained fairly strong over the years although I have always taken plenty of vitamins and minerals and have eaten a fairly good diet so maybe I managed to stave it off.

Any form of deficiency can impact on any part of the body depending on an individuals' particular genetic make-up and vulnerability. Once gluten is removed from the diet and the body starts to have a chance to heal, the ability to absorb nutrients may in time recover. Meanwhile, although it may not be as effective as one would hope, at least taking some good supplements might give the body a boost and hopefully some will get absorbed and help to build the body back up.

Apart from other vague symptoms I have had for years, fatigue, poor sleep, IBS, and latterly Diabetes, I have been aware for around 5 or 6 years, of my heart beating. Not loudly, but just a background somewhat annoying thumping. I had it checked out and apparently it is fine. My BP is up a bit and I am on AI tablets. With the bout of illness I have had over the last few weeks which got me on to the clue of Celiac, or at least severe GI, the thumping has increased. I kept getting symptoms of B12 Anemia, but 2 days ago after doing some more research I realised that my symptoms are actually redolent of Hypothyroidism.

I have started taking some kelp tablets along with the vits and minerals and it does now seem to be improving. When we get symptoms it is difficult sometimes to figure out what is going on, but at the end of the day it is a signal that our body is crying out for help, and not something to be taken lightly, as ignoring it only makes things worse.

If we can manage to get just one person to stop eating Gluten before they develop those symptoms, then we are really passing on the message. Stop giving it to your children! It is a silent killer. Because of Man's meddling and arrogance that he knows better than God who created it perfect, he has modified it into a substance that is poisonous to us and is, in its fantastically tempting, yummy, scrummy way, killing us all. Communities that do not eat Wheat and Sugar do not get sick. Those that do, do.

Nancym Enthusiast

It's not just gluten, it is also the sweets and starches we eat. I've adopted a strict, Paleo diet and my hygienist is raving over the health of my mouth. She tells me I have signs of health they usually only see in children. I don't eat any starches or sugars, other than limited fruit sugars in fruits from time to time. And I have a history of many cavities and root canals and other dental issues. I'm pretty care-free in my oral hygien. I don't floss often and only brush once a day.

All those starches and sugars just feed bacteria that secrete acids that harm the teeth.

gfcookie Newbie
It's not just gluten, it is also the sweets and starches we eat. I've adopted a strict, Paleo diet and my hygienist is raving over the health of my mouth. She tells me I have signs of health they usually only see in children. I don't eat any starches or sugars, other than limited fruit sugars in fruits from time to time. And I have a history of many cavities and root canals and other dental issues. I'm pretty care-free in my oral hygien. I don't floss often and only brush once a day.

All those starches and sugars just feed bacteria that secrete acids that harm the teeth.

no, people have eaten starches since the begining of time and somehow still had teeth, it is the osteoporosis that comes with celiac that causes cavities. and, never flossing and only brushing once a day is sort of gross and not something i'd go around bragging about. I hope you teach your children better dental hygeine.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I was reading some book that I can't remember the name of right now, but they showed statistics on the dental health of people living in remote areas of Alaska. As soon as soda and other vending machines were introduced, the rate of cavities skyrocketed. There aren't many dentists up there - they were hardly necessary pre-soda - but now dental problems are a major issue.

gfcookie Newbie
I was reading some book that I can't remember the name of right now, but they showed statistics on the dental health of people living in remote areas of Alaska. As soon as soda and other vending machines were introduced, the rate of cavities skyrocketed. There aren't many dentists up there - they were hardly necessary pre-soda - but now dental problems are a major issue.

that sounds about right, isn't there phosphoric or something-ic acid in soda? That's what does the damage. interesting

I agree about the possibility of Celiacs being silent, but still there. I look back at certain times in my life and realize I was really having problems back then. My celiac was supposedly brought on by pregnancy but I really wonder if it has some masked/silent/cycles it goes through.

And I Definitely agree that folks should back off the wheat and gluten even if they are not intolerant b/c of the GMO and higher gluten content that just makes it killer on the body's digestive tract. And sugar too.

My root canal specialist and nutritionist both agree that it's not the osteoporosis and low calcium levels alone that are decaying the teeth of Celiacs but the malabsorbption problems. Too bad there's not a quick fix for that one :(

And THANK YOU for those GREAT tips on alternative treatments! I'm def. going to try the wet tea bags and get some of those little brushes for in between my teeth. I'll give the baking soda and peroxide a try, but am unfortunately allergic to Iodine so can't try that one. I've also been looking at getting the Zapper for other things so maybe I should go ahead and take the plunge. I've heard sooo many people get some great results from it for all sorts of aliments.

I guess it's just so frustrating b/c our teeth ARE so important. Hubby was just joking around and said "I bet it would be cheaper to just pull all your teeth and have full dentures put in". But of course I didn't laugh. I just keep hoping that my absorption will get better and then hopefully my tooth decay will slow down or stop. I'm just too young for this! I envisoned having problems like this when I got older...like in my 70's,80's + but not in my 30's!

FlourShopGirl Explorer

I am right there with you. I have 16 as well and one is a cracked tooth, a failed and broken root canal and my teeth are well hidden but I am in sooo much pain. I wake up thinking about my stupid teeth. I am 31 not 90 and I within the past 4 years my teeth have broken down a lot. Thank God my smile cover them but they also get very sensitive and now I have to go for Twlight Sleep to fix them. :(

hayley3 Contributor

Actually it is not only osteoporosis but other things we eat, like sugar.

My goats, who never floss or brush their teeth, have sound teeth. They are not very clean teeth but they have perfect teeth otherwise.

no, people have eaten starches since the begining of time and somehow still had teeth, it is the osteoporosis that comes with celiac that causes cavities. and, never flossing and only brushing once a day is sort of gross and not something i'd go around bragging about. I hope you teach your children better dental hygeine.
gfpaperdoll Rookie

AliB I agree with your post. I am double DQ1, which is gluten intolerant. I was born sick & was my son & his son. I suffered through a childhood of problems on into adulthood, when I discovered that there was something called food allergies. I am 61 so of course 40 years ago no one believed in food allergies, they thought it was all in your head, just as they thought asthma was caused from neurological problems caused by having a mother that did not meet your needs for nurturing.

When I was 18 & out on my own I had dental work done to fill all my cavities etc & a couple of teeth pulled. We were poor so my mother never took us to the dentist, as was the case with most children in those days. When I was 40 I had extensive dental work done & got braces. I have had my share of crowns etc since then. Except that like nancy I now eat Paleo, & have for several years, but I did not know what you called it then. I just did not eat grains etc. 15 years ago I thought I had a wheat allergy so mostly gave up wheat, I think that is what saved my life & my teeth. Because like Nancy for the past many years I have had no dental problems, none. I get my teeth cleaned occasionally & my hygenist cannot believe that I have no plack or anything on my teeth. I tell her that it is my diet but I do not think they believe me. I will say that I do not drink sodas, tea or coffee.

My grand-daughter that is 9 years old & is also double DQ1 has recently lost all the enamel on her teeth, about the same time she gained weight to become "chunky". She is not gluten free although she also gets the itchy skin rash, has asthma, had walking pneumonia twice last year, etc, constipation & really prefers fruits & veggies. The 7 year old has recently had extensive cavities & many expensive visits to the dentists. My son who refuses to let them be gluten-free cut out their sodas & was having them drink more milk. I actually felt sorry for him trying to help his children but so ignorant of the real problem, because you know I am only the mother & grandmother, he is sure that I know nothing about anything. Although, I managed to raise two sick children & made sure that they lived despite no help from the docs... My son also spent most of his childhood at the dentist. He now has idiopathic liver damage. But still will not listen to me, because he believes the medical doctors know more than I do, & care deeply about his situation & will do everything in their power to help him. yea right...

I wear a bite guard every night & highly recommend it. It helps me to relax & sleep better & it protects my teeth from any grinding, although I do not think I do that anymore. I also had TMJ at 40.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

There was a dentist named Weston A Price in the 1930's who decided that the declining state of the teeth belonging to the children he treated didn't make any sense. He went wandering all over the world studying the diets of tribal and indigenous people in places like Africa, Alaska, the Swiss Alps, I forget all the places. The people he studied all had traditional diets, and traditional tooth care habits. Which means they ate no canned, jarred, bottled, anything. Any grains they ate were minimal, traditionally processed, which means allowed to sprout, and ground by stone or mill, without bleach added. They also typically had dairy sources that were raw. These diets were also comparatively high in saturated animal fats, and had zero of the new trans fats we've created with hydrogenated oils. No sort of refined sugar was available. Their tooth care habits were basically non-existant, some probably chewed twigs to frayed ends and scrubbed with that. What Weston Price found was lots of plaque, and a 1% incidence of cavities in most of the societies he studied. Never did he find a cavity incidence above 5%. Obviously, plaque does not lead to cavities.

Might want to do a little more study before you start castigating people. I'd say good eating habits are more important to teach your children than how to floss.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Also, Alternativemama, I just wanted to say I feel your pain. My Mum has all sorts of tooth problems, partly due to a sadistic dentist when she was a kid, and just had all her top teeth out. Ouch. And you're not working hard for nothing. It really is worth it. You might want to research alternative cavity fillings, instead of mercury amalgams, just for giggles.

Archived