This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Sound Like Celiac

Happy2bhere

Happy2bhere Newbie

1992 - Diagnosed with IBS. Learned how to control symptoms and over time learned that large, fattening, greasy type foods were the worst. Mainly high fat foods.

2006 -Virus. They believe it was Parvo. I had a rash (itchy burning bumps) followed by extreme joint pains, numbness and tingling in my extremities. I had diahrea for one months time. I also had bouts of ataxia at this time which I thought (what is going on). My face even went numb at times. I was tested for MS.Five months into this now complaining of only joint pains, I was given a Celiac panel. The only one that was off the charts was for the Antigladin Igg. She then sent me to a GI. I was given an Endoscopy. She said it was negative for Celiac and that was it. I was relieved because the thought of learning the diet seemed a bit overwhelming. However, I was diagnosed with Barett's Esophagus due to GERD. What? I later learned that I had atypical reflux. (burping, belching, nausea with some chest pains). I was put on Zantac. They also found a precancerous polup in GI track. I followed up a year later and they now found an ulcer and a hiatial hernia. I was put on Nexium and checked again 3 months later and the ulcer healed. While on Nexium I began to have EXTREME BLOATING (looking very pregnant). It was to the point the GERD was worse and I lost my appitite because it seemed that food was just sitting in my stomach not going anywhere. I was told to take some probiotics. This didn't seem to help. I was given an antibiotic that only felt in the bowels. This was nice because I didn't have the usual side effects of full body antibiotics. This cured the bloating for some time. I was told I had Small Bowel Overgrowth. I was given a 24 hour ph test and a esophageal mamometry. I was being tested to see if surgery (fundoplication) might help me. They felt for sure my LES was non-functioning. During the testing my doctor retired and met with a new doctor. He looked at everything and said he wasn't sure about the surgery now because my LES had normal pressure. What he did notice was that it was opening without a swallow and was happening mostly at night when lying flat which was causing the Barrett's. He asked current symptoms: bloating, nausea, fatigue after eating. He went back to this blood test and wants me to try the celiac diet. He believes all these things are happening because of Celiac. Has anyone been told they have this with only one blood marker and no biopsy. I also get this warm/burning pain in my feet sometimes at night which I have to put them under cold water to be able to fall asleep. Could all these symptoms be a result of Celiac. The joint pains come and go and move around. He thinks this might help the burping with in turn will help all the other symptoms.

Does this sound like anyone else out there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You've got an excellent doctor! Yes, ALL those problems could be caused by celiac disease, and his recommendation to try the gluten-free diet is a good one.

What have you got to lose? The gluten-free diet is healthy, and it might just be what you need to finally get better.

I have a hiatal hernia as well, and it doesn't bother me any more now that I am on the gluten-free diet.

Archived