This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Stupid Am I?

ohsotired

ohsotired Enthusiast

We were out running around yesterday, and our last stop was the grocery store and I was STARVING and craving pizza. So I hit the frozen aisle looking for gluten free frozen pizza.

I found both Glutino (a couple kinds) and Amy's rice crust pizzas.

My dear sweet hubby was helping me read labels, as I noticed not all of the Amy's boxes had Gluten Free labeling (because they're not all gluten free). Remember I'm starving, so I'm only really skimming the ingredient labels. I ended up buying a couple of the Glutino pizzas, and two Amy's pizzas (which I swore both had the gluten free labels on them).

I get home, pick one and throw it in the oven. The timer goes off, and a few minutes later I'm eating some really good three cheese pizza with a cornmeal crust. (You see my mistake, right?)

About 15 minutes after I'm finished eating - BAM! Stomach cramps. Heart burn. Extreme grogginess.

Oh geeze. What did I do? Myabe it's just the goat cheese?

I run and yank the box out of the trash and actually READ the ingredients.........second ingredient is ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR. Lovely. I'm a dumb@$$.

This was Amy's Three Cheese w/Cornmeal Crust, btw. Commit that one to memory - NOT gluten free!

So today I have a headache, a queasy stomach, and loose feeling bowels (although D hasn't hit yet, I'm sure it will later). <_<:wacko:

I was doing SO well.......over two months with no major gluten accidents. But I do have to admit I'd been thinking to myself "maybe nothing would happen if I had that one piece of pumpkin bread....."

Well, I guess now I can wipe that thought out of my head, as I KNOW what will happen. Ugh.

Oh yeah. And I have to work today. Luckily, I'm right near the bathroom at work. I might be in there a lot today. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Don't feel too bad, your in good company.

Last week for the first time in almost 4 years I totally spaced I was sick and tried a piece of banana bread a chef friend made.

Just totally spaced out and paid the price for 3 days..

We were out running around yesterday, and our last stop was the grocery store and I was STARVING and craving pizza. So I hit the frozen aisle looking for gluten free frozen pizza.

My dear sweet hubby was helping me read labels, as I noticed not all of the Amy's boxes had Gluten Free labeling (because they're not all gluten free). Remember I'm starving, so I'm only really skimming the ingredient labels. I ended up buying a couple of the Glutino pizzas, and two Amy's pizzas (which I swore both had the gluten free labels on them).

I get home, pick one and throw it in the oven. The timer goes off, and a few minutes later I'm eating some really good three cheese pizza with a cornmeal crust. (You see my mistake, right?)

About 15 minutes after I'm finished eating - BAM! Stomach cramps. Heart burn. Extreme grogginess.

I run and yank the box out of the trash and actually READ the ingredients.........second ingredient is ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR. Lovely. I'm a dumb@$$.

This was Amy's Three Cheese w/Cornmeal Crust, btw. Commit that one to memory - NOT gluten free!

So today I have a headache, a queasy stomach, and loose feeling bowels (although D hasn't hit yet, I'm sure it will later). <_<:wacko:

I was doing SO well.......over two months with no major gluten accidents. But I do have to admit I'd been thinking to myself "maybe nothing would happen if I had that one piece of pumpkin bread....."

Well, I guess now I can wipe that thought out of my head, as I KNOW what will happen. Ugh.

Oh yeah. And I have to work today. Luckily, I'm right near the bathroom at work. I might be in there a lot today. :(

ShayFL Enthusiast

We've all made mistakes. Dont be too hard on yourself. You learned a valuable lesson. Hope you feel better soon.

jerseyangel Proficient

Not stupid at all! I daresay it's happened--more than once--to all of us. ;)

Just happened to me recently--thought I could get away without reading a label on a one-ingredient food----wrong!! :rolleyes:

The One Apprentice

It's happened to me several times, one time I took a bite out of something and for some reason in my mind i swore i could "taste" gluten, I dont know, weird, pick up the package and read the label for a second time, and surely enough it had gluten, needless to say I spit it right out! and washed my mouth, I was lucky enough not to swallow any that time.

Last weekend I went to Burger King and ordered a salad, I never ever order salads from there, got this Lite Italian dressing, read the label, nothing weird, ate half the dressing and for some reason I had a gut feeling it had gluten in it, 10 hours later I was with my head on the toilet throwing up. They're mistakes we make, we're humans after all ;)

ohsotired Enthusiast

Well I'm glad I'm not alone. I felt pretty cruddy this morning, but did ok the rest of the day. I'm curious to see if I have a drawn out reaction, as this is the first major glutening for me since I started the gluten-free diet.

Thanks for the support everyone!

lizard00 Enthusiast

That's rough. I glutened myself once on a digestive enzyme... go figure that. And I read it like 10 times before I actually found the word wheat on there.

As everyone else has said, we've all been there, done it, got the tshirt, came home, went back for another t shirt...

LOL :lol:

Feel better soon! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Yeah, I am in the middle of the ill effects of eating something but for me it is pure guess work as to what made me sick. And when I say sick I mean full blown :blink:

The step son did some cooking yesterday with his girlfriend, they made french toast (gluten FULL), bacon and canned hash. I ate some bacon. I am pretty sure that was the stupidest thing I have done in awhile. Its a pretty sure thing that one thing touched another thing touched another thign BUT I don't react right away anymore so I don't know for sure, its always the next day.

So now I wait and see when I can go to work :angry:

sickchick Community Regular

YOU POOR THING :huh:

sending smiles and hugs

xoxo

Rook's Mommy Apprentice

I hope you get better sooner then later. I did the same thing once with brownie. I grabbed a box it said Allergen free and was boxed between two gluten-free product of the same brand. My son was sick for days. It was heart breaking. So don't feel dumb. It happens. I now READ every thing that goes in the cart. Even if I have gotten it a hundread and two times.

• 1 month later...
raisin Enthusiast

I have learned that despite how tasty they may be.. Amy's brand is NEVER to be trusted.

If you have any level of sensitivity to gluten, know that Amy's products are not truly gluten-free, even if the item clearly lists no gluten ingredients, it's still contaminated. The frozen dinner bowls, and canned soups, are what did me in. <_< I had the same problem with Environkidz products, owned by Natures Path, which make fake gluten-free foods, too.

bremac Apprentice

I'm so sorry! And you are not alone. I posted last week about this same thing, you gave me deja vu! I thought I was buying the rice crust gluten-free Amy's spinach pizza and bought the WHOLE WHEAT one instead. Didn't realize it till I pulled the box out of the garbage after vomiting for 3 hours. I get delayed reactions so I didn't start throwing up till 3-4 hours after I ate it and it took me a good long while to realize it was the pizza. I felt really stupid but ya know what? EVERYONE makes mistakes!

I hope you recover quickly :)

Bre

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I really think Amy's should label their gluten-free products differently than their regular products. They all look the same, so it's no wonder some of you have mistakenly bought the wrong kind. I know we should read the ingredients, and it's ultimately our responsibility of what goes into our mouths. But I think they should do something more substantial to draw attention to their gluten-free products.

one more mile Contributor

Maybe someone should give that Idea to Amy's. Sometimes It just does not stand out enough. I sometimes I get confused when in a store that mixes the gluten-free and the non gluten-free stuff. that gets so frustrating. Usually though I notice it before I cook and hand it off to my roommate.

I glutened myself yesterday. I had some chocolate coated coffee beans after reading the label like 5 times. No wheat listed. So I though I was safe. Silly me adding a new product to my diet on a day when I have a three hour drive planed.

thank goodness I know how to use the Tom-tom to find bathrooms. lol.

Don't be to hard on yourself.

ONe more mile

colorado Apprentice

Early on in my gluten-free diet I was very label conscious and still am, but I got lazy. My fiance is also very good about double checking labels. Anyway, we found this great local salsa because we love mexican food that appeared to be gluten-free. We kept buying ti and buying it. Then one day we were at the store and I think they were sold out or we just wanted to try another local made salsa, grabbed it and went.

About 3/4 of the way through my first taco I just happend to be reading the bottle, you know, the history and all that, then the ingredients...Barley Malt as I take the last bite of my first taco.

Doh!

My second big failure, fudgepops. I think it was because we didn't have them for a long time, my fiance bought them, and remember, she is very good with labels. Well they have malt, Doh Doh! It was one of those "I thought we bought these before" responses.

Even then, it's a good idea to always check labels.

On those AMy's Pizza's I almost made that mistake once myself. I really miss pizza and none of the frozen pizza options cut it for me anyway sadly.

Mistakes are good as long as we learn from them. I bet the next time you are hungry and craving pizza and at the store you will look twice . ;)

elonwy Enthusiast

I just did similar thing with Annie's Mac and Cheese. The regular box is dark blue, the gluten-free box is light blue. In a hurry at the store and hungry I grab a couple boxes. Go home, boil the pasta, taste test for done, then as I'm getting ready to add the cheese I think "That texture seems off" and I check the box again. Sure enough I grabbed a box of regular and a box of gluten-free. *sigh* Luckily I only ate a couple noodles, but I'm still achy and cranky with a giant pregnant looking belly.

Archived