PinkFashionista

Newly Diagnosed & Living Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I'm a 20something who has been newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease... I'm just now learning how to live gluten free.

For as LONG as I can remember, I've had intestinal issues. NOTHING helped control it. Not even going on a completely lactose free diet for 2 years. Finally, I suspected it may be gluten... I went gluten free for a few months and ALMOST IMMEDIATELY felt better. It's still a long and winding road, filled with lots of learning experiences. I'm just now phasing out my gluten filled makeup products and hair products... as well as laundry detergent, dish detergent, toothpaste, etc. etc.

I'm lucky, though, that my parents and my boyfriend are all willing to go gluten free with me... so, I don't have to worry so much about cross contamination! Even when we go out to eat, my boyfriend always makes sure to get a gluten-free meal so that I can pick off his plate with no worries.

I am so glad I found this forum and I've learned so much!

I'm a 20something newly diagnosed celiac as well, and I'm also a journalist. I just wrote this article about the additives that were hurting me and that might be hurting my friends as well. I'd love any input you might have, or really any input any college student on this forum might have. I'm trying to get the word out and help other students in our situation who don't realize that they are in fact celiacs. Here's the article, feel free to contact me via victoria at victoriareitano dot com. Thanks so much! AND best of luck being gluten-free, I'm on my first week and already see some differences, it's wonderful! http://www.studentstuff.com/2010/03/02/food-additives-might-be-hurting-you/