This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1St Gluten Free Holiday Coming Up - Need Pep Rally!

sahm-i-am

sahm-i-am Apprentice

Hi everyone! Only 6 weeks before the American festivities begin and I'm starting to panic a bit. By November 22 I should be in a good ol' Freak Out!!! So, talk me off the ledge. Help me manage being at my aunt's/cousin's/grandmother's house during the holidays (3 different celebrations and that is just for Thanksgiving!!). I usually host one Christmas dinner so that will definitely be gluten free, but what about the 5 other celebrations we attend?

Our family traditions are deeply rooted in the Southern School of Cooking! Lots of gravies and an over-abundance of gluten. I see my aunt and cousin just two or four times a year, so I don't feel comfortable enough asking them to cook gluten free. That just wouldn't be fair to everyone else and we have over 25 people at each of these events. My mom suggested we bake up our own gluten-free holiday meal, prepare two plates (my daughter is gluten-free, too) and take them with us to eat with the family meal. I will miss my cousin's turkey though - he makes the best, so yummy!

So, what do you do for holiday meals? CC is a huge concern even if they use gluten-free items.

We might need a "1st Timers Holidays 101" forum category here...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This will be my first, too. Since we don't have a lot of family on my side, they always come to my house. I will make everything gluten-free except my hub will make his rolls. Depending on the weather, he will mix them on the porch, in the garage or at the neighbors. There is a 1 pan of rolls fee for using the neighbors kitchen. :)

For his side, we trade off Xmas with his in town brother. I think it's my turn this year but I will insist. That will be gluten-free.

We have to have 2 parties this year at our house. My hubs work party will be gluten-free. The neighborhood one will be gluten-free but people always bring food.. I'm trying to figure out how to stop that. I would like to not worry that kids with cupcake crumbs then grab a carrot. I always make too much food & would like to be able to eat the leftovers.

i-geek Rookie

I like the idea of a 101 thread. It's my first gluten-free holiday season. Thanksgiving dinner will be at my parents' house, which is good since they understand cross-contamination and I can help with cooking. Christmas Eve dinner will be at my cousin's house- I'm not even going to bother except for the tamales and salsa (I know who makes the tamales and they are safe). Christmas Day will be with my in-laws and this is the one that worries me. They understand no-gluten foods, but cross-contamination is way beyond them. Plus, there are other issues that make me think that I should just bring my own food. I'll bring a safe dessert that everyone can eat.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I took all my own food already prepared in a cooler to out of town relatives last year. I put everything in small disposable foil pans and heated them at the back corner of the oven covered with foil. I figured the microwave would be busy the last 10 minutes before the meal was served. It worked out great and I had left overs. I also made a dish to pass, but it was unnecessary. Once you plate your food, just cover it with plastic wrap and set it in an out of the way place so the family does not accidentally CC it in the rush to get food on the table. I cooked a cornish game hen for myself. It was the perfect size and so cute. It was definately harder to cut up and serve than if I had prepared a turkey breast or leg.

This year, I'm headed to Mom's house and I will be helping her make the corn, mashed potatoes, and the extra turkey breast gluten free. I'll make my own apple pie, stuffing, and gravy. I will just set aside some of each item before it is served so the family does not CC it and so that I have leftovers for the next day.

I think if I were doing the multihouse in one day I would either prepare lots of little plates for each house or I would do courses such as appetizers and gluten-free pumpkin bread at the first, turkey/potatoes/veg at the second, and dessert at the 3rd.

Holiday meals are stressful on the cook and and asking for gluten-free food preparations when they are not already fluent in gluten-free cooking is asking too much. Take your own and be mindful of how much kitchen space the hostess has to spare while you prepare your food. There are always corners in the back of the oven and if you need it, they sell cheap electric burners in the camping section.

I also take a BIG ziplock to store my cooking utensils and can opener in while when I'm not stirring. That way, they don't accidentally get used to stir the gravy or get flour dust on them. You might want to think about bringing your own towel or sponge or lots of paper towels because the ones being used that day will likely get contaminated.

I really liked having all my own food in the little foil containers all ready to go. I felt like I could help the cook with her meals and I could socialize more than when I prepare a mini version of everything simultaneously to the main meal. Hmmm. Maybe I should do that anyways at Mom's house this year.

scarlett77 Apprentice

I'm wondering... how does your cousin make his turkey? Do you know for sure it isn't gluten-free? Other than that I like the idea of bringing yourself and DD a plate of food so you can eat with the family. I would also suggest that you bring a gluten-free dish to share as well.

I'm trying to keep Thanksgiving simple and just stay home with hubby and the kids. We did that last year too and it was so nice to not have to go anywhere. My family is up in arms over this of course, but I'm not really on great terms with them right now anyway. Christmas we traditionally go out to breakfast and then to my aunt's for dinner. I order fruit for my son and bring in his own pancakes (I've talked to the restaurant about it). For my aunt's house I know the turkey, mashed potatoes, and veggies are gluten-free so I don't have to worry about that. But I will bring gluten-free dinner rolls for my boys and gluten-free cookies or pie to share with everyone.

Emilushka Contributor

My mom already bought me my own set of cookware to keep in her house for when I visit after I told her about the CC risks. While I'm there, I'll cook my own food over Christmas and stay safe that way. My mom is great. She's going to stock up on gluten-free food (kept separately) for while I'm there, and my cookware has its own shelf that's away from the rest of the food and cookware.

For my fiance's family, I'm just not going to eat because they have ZERO understanding of Celiac/CC. I'll bring my own food (they're local) or eat before going there.

It's my first holiday season, too. Any further tips would be GREAT!

Rowena Rising Star

This is my first gluten-free holiday season too. And I am extremely worried about it. What we normally do is split the difference between our parents houses, dinner at my parents dessert at his or vice versa. I normally don't eat the desserts anyway because I am too full, so that part won't be so much a problem I worry about eating the dinner portion. Even if they do make stuff gluten-free for me, there is no guarantee there won't be CC.

I have plotted to make my own stuffing and bring it with me. And I don't like turkey, so that won't be so big a problem for me. And I have to think what else I am going to do. I think I'll bring my own plate of food though that's for certain.

Christmas is a lot harder though. Not sure what I will do then. Christmas is worse than Thanksgiving at our families houses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelindaLee Contributor

My first holiday gluten-free as well (I feel like I am in an step meeting or something :lol: ) I am hosting Thanksgiving. Everything will be gluten-free except the rolls and maybe a pie or two my sister will bring. (I think they all should be tested anyway, so gluten-free won't hurt them a bit!) I already warned them there will be no stuffing (unless I decide to make my own bread for stuffing..haven't decided yet) I am luck...my family and in-laws try...it's been an exercize in education, but at least they try. :)

sa1937 Community Regular

My first holiday gluten-free as well (I feel like I am in an step meeting or something laugh.gif ) I am hosting Thanksgiving. Everything will be gluten-free except the rolls and maybe a pie or two my sister will bring. (I think they all should be tested anyway, so gluten-free won't hurt them a bit!) I already warned them there will be no stuffing (unless I decide to make my own bread for stuffing..haven't decided yet) I am luck...my family and in-laws try...it's been an exercize in education, but at least they try. smile.gif

It'll be my first holiday season gluten free, too. Since I'm not hosting Thanksgiving dinner, I think I'll just add another dish - a wild rice stuffing. No way do I want the rest of the family to miss out on their gluteny (and yummy...lol) bread stuffing. We always have tons of food so no problem for me.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Once we found out I was gluten intolerant, I started doing all the holiday cooking. The first three or four years, that meant I was cooking Thanksgiving (and much of Christmas) dinner in my inlaws kitchen. They didn't mind (and I think my MIL likes not having to do it all herself!) and we make it gluten and dairy free, and low /mostly vegetarian for them.

anabananakins Explorer

Once you plate your food, just cover it with plastic wrap and set it in an out of the way place so the family does not accidentally CC it in the rush to get food on the table.

I also take a BIG ziplock to store my cooking utensils and can opener in while when I'm not stirring. That way, they don't accidentally get used to stir the gravy or get flour dust on them. You might want to think about bringing your own towel or sponge or lots of paper towels because the ones being used that day will likely get contaminated.

These are both great suggestions. I'm currently on holiday in the US and it's been hard avoiding cross contamination in my friend's houses. Much harder than I thought it would be. All those touching options, stuff in the air..I just know that crumbs from their toast and flour from the waffles they made while I was making jacket potatoes must have been getting on my stuff because I got sick a lot. Stupid invisible flour dust!!!!

sahm-i-am Apprentice

Wow! Lots of first timers here!! Love the advice and I will definitely be thinking of all my gluten-free friends on these holiday events. Keep the advice coming - I love to read it!

LauraBeth Rookie

I am going to make stuffing with Udi's whole grain bread! I have made croutons with it and they are amazing so I know the stuffing will be good too. So excited!

kitgordon Explorer

Do you bake the bread to dry it out? How long and at what temperature?

LauraBeth Rookie

Do you bake the bread to dry it out? How long and at what temperature?

I cut it into cubes and toss in with olive oil, salt, and pepper and then bake it on a cookie sheet at about 375. I keep checking it but it doesn't take too long, maybe 10 minutes? Til golden brown. Then pull it out and let it cool. Mmmm.

kitgordon Explorer

Thank you!

lynnelise Apprentice

My inlaws can't make any side dish without ritz crackers...seriously green bean casserole, corn casserole, pineapple (seriously) casserole...ect. I bring a few safe dishes of my own. Double check the turkey and eat only that and my stuff. Nothing else. Also I get my plate first so no one drops gluten in the safe foods!

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

OK all you newbies, you CAN do this!! Because it is my son (and I feel I'm probably over-protective), unless it is my mom cooking we don't let others cook for our son. So these tips are all from the prospective of having to have complete control over the food... You can...

1) Take your own plate. If you like the traditional holiday meal that everyone else is having, great! If not, this is your time to spoil yourself! My son never ate much Christmas Eve dinner because he didn't like what was served every year. So once diagnosed I started making him what he really wanted, which happened to be shrimp fettuccini alfredo.

You can also make your favorite "traditional" items and take them along. You can make them the day before or even more if you freeze them.

Cookies freeze great, so when Christmas rolls around, we start baking and freezing. Then we can pull out an assorted tray of cookies whenever the need (or want) arises.

Pumpkin pie - gluten-free crusts are every bit as good as G crusts. So if you want the crust, go for it! If the crust doesn't matter to you, just make the inside, pour it into a pie pan, bake, and enjoy crustless pumpkin pie. You can also do the same with banana cream or many other pies as well. If you want a quick crust, you can toss some toasted almonds in the food processor, mix with melted butter and sugar and press into a pan. This is great for banana cream or even better...a cheesecake. Cheesecakes are actually super easy, so this can be a fun way to go too. Pumpkin cheesecake, plain with assorted toppings, turtle, key lime. Oh the possibilities!

2) Host your own. We do a lot of family entertaining that is completely gluten-free. It does take some planning and is obviously a bit of work, but it can also be very fun and it's awesome to get to eat all kinds of yummy foods. Here's our gluten-free Thanksgiving menu from last year:

Turkey

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Sweet Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole

Homemade cranberry orange relish

Rolls (this year we're doing oatmeal artisan bread and oatmeal raisin cinnamon bread)

Fresh veggies

Salad

Stuffing

Cornbread pudding casserole thingie (not exactly sure what it's called)

Pumpkin pie

Cheesecake

Assorted cookies

Oh and appetizers! This is one of my favorites - our family is big on this rolled thing made out of dried beef, cream cheese, and green olives that you put on a Ritz cracker. I was at a cooking class where we took large green olives and put "balls" of cream cheese around them and then rolled them in crushed nuts. Oh my were they every bit as good as the Ritz cracker version!

Cheese and Nutthin crackers or Crunchmaster crackers (the new Sea Salt variety taste just like wheat thins to me) with cheese make another great appetizer.

For Christmas morning, I always make cinnamon rolls Christmas Eve afternoon and put them in the fridge in the pan until the next morning. Then pop the pan in the oven while you're opening presents and you have ooey gooey cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I usually add scrambled eggs, ham, and fresh fruit to the mix so we don't all have HUGE stomachaches from eating all the sweet stuff.

Again, for all you first timers, you can do this!! Just keep your attitude up, your flexibility high, and your heart ready for a great holiday! I was totally freaking out our first Christmas. Our son had been gluten-free for only a few days. The dr. had said to wait until after Christmas to start the diet, but our son insisted we start ASAP because he was tired of feeling so badly. That was almost 3 years ago. I can honestly say I practically begged for Thanksgiving at our house this year and am giddy about the chance to show everyone how great gluten-free food is!!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

My first as well. It will be at my sisters house and we are working together to make sure the turkey will be gluten-free. I plan on making two sides that are gluten-free and bring some other things gluten-free for me. I'll take my portion out at home to avoid CC there. I'm making a crustless pumkin pie for myself as well. She is understanding and knows on other things I need to get my stuff first.

kareng Grand Master

We need a cheer for this pep rally!

Rah rah rhea! Kick em in the knee! Rah rah rhass! Kick em in the other knee!

No wait that doesn't work !

Try this:

Give me a G!

Give me a L!

Give me a U!

Give me a T!

Give me a E!

Give me a N!

What's that spell?

Poison!

Betcha can't tell I was never a cheerleader! :)

Rowena Rising Star

kareng ~ Neither was I. I was always one of the ones who made fun of the cheerleaders. Besides we band geeks had better cheers anyway. (And the most school spirit too.) Though I is definitely a fan of your second cheer. *grin* but as a poet I guess I am obligated to do my part. Gimme a few and I will come up with somethin. (And yeah, I promise my poetry does use better grammar than my everyday speak... *grin* I promise I do know how to speak "proper American English" although some might say we US peeps dont speak good English even when we do speak "properly.")

cap6 Enthusiast

My first too. We're going to a friend's home & she is cooking. She's a chef & tried to be gluten-free but I don't feel comfortable. She gets offended eaisly if she works on a gluten-free meal & I don't eat. Oh well. Think I'll take a couple of my own dishes (stuffing & such) and be filling up on that!

mushroom Proficient

I liked the poster who said she felt like she was in a step program. Hello, my name is Mushroom, and I am a celiac, and this is what is am doing for Christmas/Thanksgiving :lol: . We must be assertive and keep ourselves safe, and to heck with any hurt feelings. It sounds like you are all developing pretty good coping skills. It would not have previously been a problem for me because I always cooked both meals and took them to MIL's house (a mile away) so could control everything (except the cleanliness of the dishes :lol: ) Now my family in New Zealand seldom gets together for Christmas because my older sister and her daughter are both also celiac, but my niece also has CFS and travelling is too much for her, so unless we go to Auckland (which we hate - too humid, too many skeeters!) can't get together with them, and the Wellington bunch (again a flight away) don't really believe in celiac disease, so we arrange to go somewhere fun for Christmas and do family visiting other times of year :P

crimsonviolet Apprentice

So glad to be reading this thread! Thanksgiving and Christmas have been in the forefront of my mind lately since they're already drama-filled. Our new gluten-free adventures will just add excitement to the festivities! :)

I have seriously considered just bowing out of our families' celebrations for Thanksgiving this year. I've been craving a nice quiet holiday for years and I always cave and spend the weekend in a flurry of activity, which translates into messed up routines and crazy behavior for the kids. Throw in CC and I don't even want to imagine it. Everyone we celebrate the holidays with lives within 15 minutes of us, and we see them regularly so it's not like we're missing the once-a-year visit from Great Aunt Hilda who travels 15,000 miles to see her one-and-only nephew at great personal expense and threat to life and limb. lol

Does anyone know if there is a Gluten-free option for ordering a Thanksgiving dinner (like from Whole Foods or the like?)

Christmas will be a bit more complicated, as there's the whole "holiday spirit" thing going on. ;) What really scares me is that besides my own two monkeys, there are 15 children ages 1-12 in attendance at every family occasion, none of whom have ever heard the word gluten. Can you say cross-contamination, kids? I knew you could!

What I did at the one family gathering I attended (and didn't host) since we went gluten-free, was to bring all of our food in a cooler, and I got it out and served it right at dinner time along with everyone else. I tried to bring foods similar to what was already being served, but I still got a chorus of "why don't WE get THAT??" from some of the cousins when they saw my kids' plates.

bincongo Contributor

I am new too. The last time I visited my kids and grandkids I offered to plan the meals and cook them. I seemed to work fairly well but I was new at this. My daughters kitchen is especially messy. I think I got CC from her kitchen. This year my daughter's baby is due on Thanksgiving day, she lives a 9 hour drive away so I will be staying with her and cooking Thanksgiving if she is not in the hospital. I guess I will bring pans and cutting boards, etc in my car. I also clean her kitchen when I get there but there is still a lot of CC. She also has a son who is 18 months old and eats gluten foods all day. Am I stressed out - yes I have to admit I am but I am going to be with my daughter because she asked me to and I want to.

By the way - does anyone know a gluten free stuffing recipe? Maybe with gluten free cornbread and not expensive gluten free bread.

Archived