This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help I Feel Like I Am Killing My Husband

ksymonds84

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Okay guys I need your help. My husband went gluten free in August because of positive antibodies. He chose not to scope after how much money out of pocket it cost us when I did and his brother is a biopsy diagnosed celiac. Anyway, I've made two homemade dinners for him. One is my pizza crust that I've created that is very yummy but the 3 times I've made it reducing xantham down from tsp to 1/2 tsp to 1/8 tsp he is still in MAJOR stomach pain.

Here is the recipe ingredients:

3/4 cup rice flour

1/3 cup tapioca flour

1 Tbsp potato flour

1 tsp california style garlic salt ( I use McCormicks)

1/8 tsp xantham

1 tsp instant yeast granules

1 tsp sugar

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Kathy--just a shot in the dark but maybe the brand of xanthan is contaminated? I can't tolerate Bob's Red Mill, but do fine with Ener-g.

Anyway, hope you figure it out :)

Skylark Collaborator

I'm sorry your hubby is sick. That must be an awful feeling cooking gluten-free as best you can and it not working.

Check your baking soda for gluten. Rumford and Clabber Girl are gluten-free. Also, where are you getting your flours? Are you using one box of potato starch? It's in both recipes and maybe it's cross-contaminated somehow. I usually try to buy Bob's Red Mill flours. Make sure your kitchen is really clean and post are scrubbed really well. If you're using an old wooden cutting board that had gluten or old wooden spoons, you'll need to throw those away.

Some celiacs are just too sensitive for the traces of gluten in "gluten free" flours and baked foods. If he keeps reacting that may be the problem.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Hi Kathy--just a shot in the dark but maybe the brand of xanthan is contaminated? I can't tolerate Bob's Red Mill, but do fine with Ener-g.

Anyway, hope you figure it out :)

Yes, I am using Bob's Red Mill and its been in my freezer since I was first diagnosed, so almost 3 years old. Does it expire? Thanks for the suggestion. I absolutely love that pizza crust I created, tastes so real! My husband wants me to make it without xatham gum (he's a trooper)and I think with the beer and yeast it should be okay not to put it in....?

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes, I am using Bob's Red Mill and its been in my freezer since I was first diagnosed, so almost 3 years old. Does it expire? Thanks for the suggestion. I absolutely love that pizza crust I created, tastes so real! My husband wants me to make it without xatham gum (he's a trooper)and I think with the beer and yeast it should be okay not to put it in....?

I don't know....I left it out of a pizza dough once by mistake and it turned out pretty tough. I did use yeast, but not beer, so that could make a difference. I'd try it without and see what happens.

I know that guar gum can be used in place of xanthan, but I've not tried it for fear it could trigger D (which I'm prone to).

Edited to add--I don't think xanthan expires. It takes me a long time to get through a bag and I just keep it in the cupboard.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I'm sorry your hubby is sick. That must be an awful feeling cooking gluten-free as best you can and it not working.

Check your baking soda for gluten. Rumford and Clabber Girl are gluten-free. Also, where are you getting your flours? Are you using one box of potato starch? It's in both recipes and maybe it's cross-contaminated somehow. I usually try to buy Bob's Red Mill flours. Make sure your kitchen is really clean and post are scrubbed really well. If you're using an old wooden cutting board that had gluten or old wooden spoons, you'll need to throw those away.

Some celiacs are just too sensitive for the traces of gluten in "gluten free" flours and baked foods. If he keeps reacting that may be the problem.

thanks skylark, you could be right about him being sensitive to traces of gluten as his brother with celiac was very sensitive in the beginning. Now after 5 years he can go to other peoples houses ect and does fine. We don't have any gluten in the house (its just the two of us) and I long ago got rid of cutting boards ect. but I'm wondering if my Bob's Mill flours and starches tests to 20ppms and he's one of those that will react at that level? Also, I wonder if companies like Udi's (since he doesn't react to their bread with xatham) gets a way with far less xatham than we do when we homebake? He also does fine with the Bisquick with xatham being the last ingredient. For now, I'm going to stop homebaking with xatham gum and see if that works. Cookies and such don't need xatham and I will just stick with rudi's and udi's for now for toast and sandwhiches. Also kinnickinnic doesn't use xatham and he likes making sub sandwhiches out of the hot dog buns, very soft and tasty! I really appreciate your help.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I wonder if he could be reacting to the yeast or leavening/cultures (in the biscuits the buttermilk cultures are similar to yeast cultures I beleive)? When I first did my elimination diet I reacted with bloating and stomach pain to anything with yeast. I have since found I can tolerate yeast products sometimes but I still bloat a little so I avoid them most of the time. Have you tried Chebe pizza crust mix? It has no yeast, no xanthan and no guar gum so that would eliminate most of the suspect items.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I wonder if he could be reacting to the yeast or leavening/cultures (in the biscuits the buttermilk cultures are similar to yeast cultures I beleive)? When I first did my elimination diet I reacted with bloating and stomach pain to anything with yeast. I have since found I can tolerate yeast products sometimes but I still bloat a little so I avoid them most of the time. Have you tried Chebe pizza crust mix? It has no yeast, no xanthan and no guar gum so that would eliminate most of the suspect items.

Thats a very good point since I used beer as well in the pizza crust giving it a double whammy on the yeast. I know that the celiac society says something about yeast and molds being sometimes a problem with newly diagnosed celiacs...thanks will look more into it!

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Thats a very good point since I used beer as well in the pizza crust giving it a double whammy on the yeast. I know that the celiac society says something about yeast and molds being sometimes a problem with newly diagnosed celiacs...thanks will look more into it!

Is the pizza pan/stone the same one you used prior to going gluten-free. I hope you figure out what is making him feel so poorly. He really is a trooper if he wants to keep trying pizza. I'm going to have to try your recipe because my hubby really misses good pizza now that we are gluten-free here.

Salax Contributor

Yes Bob's products do expire, at least the flours that I have used.

I hope he feels better. :)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

This may be from the outfield, but since going gluten free I cannot tolerate garlic. Even a tiny sprinkling does me in. I have also found that the Redbridge beer would make me sick. I have switched to hard cider. Still get the giggles but no sore tummy.

Takala Enthusiast

By process of elimination:

If he's eating Udi's and Rudi's, then those ingredients are okay.

I found a list for Deby's gluten free flour blend which says it's "rice, potato, tapioca, xanthan gum. " You said this was used to make fried calimari ? what was the calimari fried in, and was the pan free of cross contamination ?

udi's bread is "Water, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, potato starch, canola oil, egg whites, sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder (sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate), cultured dextrose, ascorbic acid (ascorbic acid, microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch), enzymes

bisquick (per the blog glad to be gluten free, thank you for reading that label for us because I can't memorize everything) has rice, sugar, leavening baking soda aluminum phosphate and monocalcium phosphate, modified potato starch, salt, xanthan gum, *may contain soy

I don't think your problem is the xanthan gum.

cheese is okay.

corn is okay. (corn on the cob, tacos, so some kinds of processed corn tortillas are okay)

This leaves either cross contamination from using an old pizza pan, pizza cutting wheel, or old wooden cutting board surface.

Or it's the OTHER ingredients.

First, how does he respond if he drinks some of the gluten free beer ? Does he do this already without a problem ?

What happens if he eats some yeast ?

Instead of making an entire crust again, I'd test him (if he is willing to be the guinea pig ) on those ingredients, separately.

Cheese - are you using pre shredded cheese and is it gluten free, or are you using block cheese, and what are you grating it on or in ?

Sauce - are you using a prepared pizza sauce ? if so, what brand ? Is is gluten free ? Or are you using an absolutely plain tomato canned product such as tomato paste, puree, or tomato sauce which says only "tomatoes" on the ingredient list ? Or fresh tomatoes ? THIS was the ingredient I am most suspicious about, because it's the common ingredient between the two pizzas.

Other ingredients or toppings - if using, are they certainly gluten free, and have they been prepped on a gluten free surface ?

You can make a corn tortilla mini pizza very simply by taking a corn tortilla, and drying it under the broiler to stiffen it up, then topping it with safe ingredients. Or you can take 2 corn tortillas and put cheese between them, then top with the pizza ingredients, and bake. You can also use a pre made, gluten free rice flour tortilla as a super thin pizza crust. It is pre baked a bit to crisp it, and then topped.

I've done grainless pizza crusts with eggs and almond meals and no zanthan. How is he with amaranth ? That is one of those gluten-free flours that does not need xanthan, especially when mixed with almond and prepared a certain way.

How is he with flax ? I'm not fond of the stuff, but that is another ingredient which can be used in place of xanthan if it's mixed with hot water first to make a sort of gel. Chia seed also, but you need to get it in a sealed bag and certified gluten free.

When measuring out xanthan, I pour it into the spoon instead of dipping into the storage container - I really try to not get my basic common ingredients cross contaminated. Nothing is more miserable than making a big batch of something with one ingredient that is "off." This is why I tend to use water as the liquid, because I've been nailed several times by liquids which were supposed to be gluten free, were even marked as such, and they were not.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Is the pizza pan/stone the same one you used prior to going gluten-free. I hope you figure out what is making him feel so poorly. He really is a trooper if he wants to keep trying pizza. I'm going to have to try your recipe because my hubby really misses good pizza now that we are gluten-free here.

Here is the full recipe. I was very proud of myself for creating such a yummy real tasting crust. Its very sticky so I use parchment paper and keep dusting it with rice flour to get it in a nice flat circle shape. It puffs up like real bread ect....we've decided to try it without yeast and xantham, I look for it to be more chebe consistency but we shall see. He drinks redbridge watching the football games on Sunday so we know its not the problem just maybe too much of yeast and molds all together for him in one recipe...? Hope you enjoy it!

3/4 cup rice flour

1/3 cup tapioca flour

1 Tbsp potato flour

1/8 tsp xantham

1 tsp sugar

VioletBlue Contributor

I had to recently stop using McCormicks garlic powder because I was reacting to it for some reason. I had the same problem with their dried onions. Now I just use real minced garlic.

I also have had problems in the past with cornstarch I believe because of the sulfites in it. You could try subbing arrowroot flour in place of the cornstarch and see if that helps. I hope you figure it out, I know how frustrating these sorts of food mysteries can be :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient

I had to recently stop using McCormicks garlic powder because I was reacting to it for some reason. I had the same problem with their dried onions.

I do too--I have no problem with their "sweet" spices but the onion and garlic definitely bother me.

kareng Grand Master

Kinnikinnick frozen pizza crusts do not have xantham, they do have tapioca. I cook them a few minutes first.

Did you try the cauliflower crust? My sil likes it for less carbs. Her 12 year old liked it.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have gradually become more and more sensitive. I noticed problems with McCormicks spices before gluten free flours started bothering me. (I think, that was awhile ago). Fresh garlic is pretty easy to use so why not? You can dry and grind to make your own powder.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies everyone! My husband is back to himself today. We are going to try to make the pizza again without xantham gum and yeast this weekend. He feels that if we don't try it we will never know for sure that it was the pizza and not something else. He loves the McCormicks california style garlic salt and uses it on tons of stuff so he's okay with it but I have heard of others reacting to their products.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I'm sorry I have nothing of substance to share, I just thought the thread said "Help, I feel like killing my husband" and was curious why there were 2 pages of replies :lol::lol::lol:

Roda Rising Star

My opinion I would look at the brands of potato and cornstarch you are using. I eliminated all of BRM products in a hope to find a reason for my still elevated antigliadin IgG antibody. They process the gluten free oats in the gluten free facility (of course they would :rolleyes: ) and I am very sensitive to gluten free oats, reacting very badly. My thought was maybe I am getting contaminated from low leveles of gluten free oats from the shared lines. It is a shot in the dark, but there are others sensitive to low levels of cc. I know they don't test for avein just the gliadin. So my question is can he tolerate gluten free oats? Something to ponder. Good luck figuring it out.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I eliminated all of BRM products in a hope to find a reason for my still elevated antigliadin IgG antibody. They process the gluten free oats in the gluten free facility (of course they would :rolleyes: ) and I am very sensitive to gluten free oats, reacting very badly.

I hope that works for you. I did the same thing and it helped me.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Here is the full recipe. I was very proud of myself for creating such a yummy real tasting crust. Its very sticky so I use parchment paper and keep dusting it with rice flour to get it in a nice flat circle shape. It puffs up like real bread ect....we've decided to try it without yeast and xantham, I look for it to be more chebe consistency but we shall see. He drinks redbridge watching the football games on Sunday so we know its not the problem just maybe too much of yeast and molds all together for him in one recipe...? Hope you enjoy it!

3/4 cup rice flour

1/3 cup tapioca flour

1 Tbsp potato flour

1/8 tsp xantham

1 tsp sugar

rosetapper23 Explorer

It's a long shot, but it might be that he reacts to iodine--as many of us do. I believe that McCormick's garlic salt contains iodine...and so do most dairy products if they aren't organic. I have to avoid iodine, or I become quite ill. Just a thought...

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Kathy,

thanks for the recipe. I think I have most of the ingredients. I'll have to swing out for some redbridge and yeast. Hubby will be thrilled.

As I was reading the recipe, I noticed it says to cook on a pizza pan lined with parchment or a pizza stone then place directly on the oven rack. If it is the old pizza stone, I wouldn't rely on parchment paper to keep the gluten from CCing the pizza. Hopefully you've cleaned the oven racks since hubby went gluten free.

Good luck with the new recipe trials.

You are welcome! You can also use New Grist or Bards Tale. We like the flavor of Redbridge best though. I cleaned the oven after I went gluten free almost 3 years ago and I personally don't use a pizza stone but know many do so included it in the recipe. I have pans with little holes in them and the parchment keeps the sticky batter from going through. Also, my original recipe is 1/2 tsp xantham gum and 1 1/2 tsp of yeast. The one I gave you works still tho for a chewy middle crust and crunchy bottom. You can play with the xantham and yeast.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

It's a long shot, but it might be that he reacts to iodine--as many of us do. I believe that McCormick's garlic salt contains iodine...and so do most dairy products if they aren't organic. I have to avoid iodine, or I become quite ill. Just a thought...

Thanks for the suggestion. For normal salt I use the mortons lite salt for potassium unless a recipe calls for sea salt. I don't think its the McCormick's or iodine though because we have been using it for a long time and his symptoms only came up when I made the pizza and biscuits. My aunt has an iodine problem too, she had a nasty reaction when they used it on her to prep for surgery a long time ago. So she doesn't ingest anything with iodine or use it topically. Again thanks, long shot or not its still worth noting. :)

Archived