This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Rotisserie Chicken

MaryJones2

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I see a lot of topics about gluten-free rotisserie chicken (the kind that is cooked in the deli and sold in paper bags) but I can't find a list anywhere. I know Costco is gluten-free and that Whole Foods does not contain gluten ingredients but carries a warning. Anyone know about Safeway and other store brands? It would be nice to have options.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor

I see a lot of topics about gluten-free rotisserie chicken (the kind that is cooked in the deli and sold in paper bags) but I can't find a list anywhere. I know Costco is gluten-free and that Whole Foods does not contain gluten ingredients but carries a warning. Anyone know about Safeway and other store brands? It would be nice to have options.

I get mine at Meijer. There's only 3 or 4 ingredients, unless you get the flavored ones (barbecue, lemon chicken)I haven't checked those.

Monklady123 Collaborator

The only one I know about is Giant grocery store chickens and they are NOT gluten free. I always buy Costco's, even if I go in just for the chicken. Yes, I've learned how to go into Costco for just one thing. ;) The cashiers always comment on it and I tell them that this chicken is gluten free, bigger than Giant's, and cheaper. What's not to like? B)

Lisa Mentor

Perdue, Grocery Store Rotisserie Whole Chickens, are gluten free in our area.

xjrosie Apprentice

I worked in the deli at Kroger. You should be able to eat any of the rotisserie chickens there. They don't put any other flavorings on other than the barbeque sauce and lemon pepper, and I believe both of those are gluten free. To be on the safe side, ask the deli workers, they'll help you out.

Adalaide Mentor

I remember checking at Smith's and seem to think they were gluten free although I didn't buy one at the time. They're cheaper at Costco so I just go there.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Can you show some proof that the Giant rotisserie's aren't gluten free? I eat them all the time and have no problems...the ingrediants don't lead me to believe that they're not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Can you show some proof that the Giant rotisserie's aren't gluten free? I eat them all the time and have no problems...the ingrediants don't lead me to believe that they're not.

Could it be possible that there are different Giant groceries? Different main company? For example, we have PriceChoppers here in KC. I googled them for something and found there is another chain of Price Choppers, in another part of the country, that don't seem to be related. Also, here, some of our Price Choppers are owned by different people, like a franchise. It's probably not as rigid as a McDonalds franchise so they may be able to fix the chicken or carry different items - whatever works for thier neighborhood.

I think the best plan is to use these suggestions but check the ingredients and how the food is handled at your local store.

Monklady123 Collaborator

No, of course I can't "show proof" since I'm not planning to buy one so that I can send you the label. You'll have to take my word for it that the ingredients say "allergen: wheat". :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be snarky here but I don't understand when people question things like this. Recently someone else did it when I posted about the Goya Maria gluten free cookies. I can read. If something says, in BIG LETTERS "GLUTEN FREE" then I'm going to report it as gluten free. Similarly when something says "allergen: wheat" I'm going to tell you all that this is what it says. You can do what you want, and read your own labels. I'm merely answering the question that the OP asked.

Lisa Mentor

What is gluten free in one area of the country/world, may not be in the other. I would assume that large grocery chain stores have various suppliers, who may use different ingredients in their products.

I don't know that as a fact, but it makes sense to me. B)

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Well I'm sorry....but my rotisserie chickens at Giant do not say that, which is why I was asking! Maybe they've changed things, but I'm looking at one directly in front of me as we speak.

People question things because a lot of people make claims on this board with no proof and a lot of the times, the information isn't correct, hence, my asking where you got your information. You didn't specify that you saw the "allergin: wheat" statement, so I was curious if you heard from Giant corporate or something. All you said was that Giant ones were not gluten free, no back up to that statement. It's important for many people that you explain where your information is coming from.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Perdue, Grocery Store Rotisserie Whole Chickens, are gluten free in our area.

Lisa, are they frozen and you cook at home? I'm open to that too. Just couldn't quite tell if that's what you mean or if your store uses Perdue brand.

I was hoping someone had information on Safeway. Safeway and Costco are really the only two chains we have in our area. I think there is a Lucky but it's not really in the way of any place I am coming or going. Safeway is the easiest when I'm in a hurry. The costco's in San Jose are total Zoo's - all the time :) You don't get in and out in less than 30 there...I emailed Safeway a while back and never heard anything so I'll try again.

PS - Thanks for all of the replies. I miss Kroger - they were always great and very helpful.

Lisa Mentor

Lisa, are they frozen and you cook at home? I'm open to that too. Just couldn't quite tell if that's what you mean or if your store uses Perdue brand.

Nope. They are rotissarized in the deli section of our local Food Lion, and packaged hot in a little tote box, and labeled Purdue. Pretty good, but not too sure you have a Food Lion in your new neck of the woods.

http://www.perdue.com/products/details.asp?id=606&title=PERDUE%AE%20Oven-Roasted%20Rotisserie%20Chicken

Here ya go:

http://www.perdue.com/products/where_to_buy/results.asp?cat=622&group_name=Deli

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I was hoping someone had information on Safeway. Safeway and Costco are really the only two chains we have in our area. I think there is a Lucky but it's not really in the way of any place I am coming or going. Safeway is the easiest when I'm in a hurry. The costco's in San Jose are total Zoo's - all the time :) You don't get in and out in less than 30 there...I emailed Safeway a while back and never heard anything so I'll try again.

PS - Thanks for all of the replies. I miss Kroger - they were always great and very helpful.

If you are ok with maltodextrin and caramel color (neither of them say derived from wheat) and "natural flavors" you may try Safeway. I bought one there when I first went gluten-free - I screened it then and thought it was ok. I've not tried asking for more clarification on the natural flavors.

I live in AZ, don't know if the flavors vary.

• 10 months later...
Boyz2mom Newbie

I'm new to this, (2 days) but my local Giant receives precooked chickens and puts them in the plastic containers marked Giant. The chickens are from Perdue and they were able to give me the original Perdue sticker. Obviously, it's important how they're handled in store. The clerks were very patient as it took many questions to get the info I needed and they asked what Celiac was. For whatever it's worth, at least those 2 will change gloves before repackaging the chickens :) so I agree it's wise to ask what brand chicken your store uses and how they handle it.

Could it be possible that there are different Giant groceries? Different main company? For example, we have PriceChoppers here in KC. I googled them for something and found there is another chain of Price Choppers, in another part of the country, that don't seem to be related. Also, here, some of our Price Choppers are owned by different people, like a franchise. It's probably not as rigid as a McDonalds franchise so they may be able to fix the chicken or carry different items - whatever works for thier neighborhood.

I think the best plan is to use these suggestions but check the ingredients and how the food is handled at your local store.

kareng Grand Master

I'm new to this, (2 days) but my local Giant receives precooked chickens and puts them in the plastic containers marked Giant. The chickens are from Perdue and they were able to give me the original Perdue sticker. Obviously, it's important how they're handled in store. The clerks were very patient as it took many questions to get the info I needed and they asked what Celiac was. For whatever it's worth, at least those 2 will change gloves before repackaging the chickens :) so I agree it's wise to ask what brand chicken your store uses and how they handle it.

Hi! I'm in KC, too.

There are different chains of grocerys named Giant. And I think they have Price Chopper in the northeast? It's not the same company as ours.

Do we have Giant groceries here?

• 4 years later...
Jenng73 Newbie

I keep hearing of grocery stores on here that aren't in my area.  Does anyone know right off hand if Harris Teeter, Publix or Food Lion have gluten free rotisserie chickens?  I know our WalMart does, but the other day I tried to see if some of their deli meat was gluten-free, and I got a blank stare from the employee...made me nervous. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
15 minutes ago, Jenng73 said:

I keep hearing of grocery stores on here that aren't in my area.  Does anyone know right off hand if Harris Teeter, Publix or Food Lion have gluten free rotisserie chickens?  I know our WalMart does, but the other day I tried to see if some of their deli meat was gluten-free, and I got a blank stare from the employee...made me nervous. 

Any kind of at point of sale/store fixed chicken has a moderate/high chance of CC from their kitchens. They fix these birds in bulk season them etc on the same cutter boards, knifes, etc. that they fix prepackaged breaded meats. like those on the foam boards in wrap that you buy in in the same market. This is normally done quickly without thoughts to "OH those crumbs could make someone sick". or the fixed meals etc. Most of them do not change gloves as often as they should either between stations. You can see how in a market prep area for breaded foods, sandwiches, rolls, etc, right next to the bakery which will have airborne flour......yeah it is just a clusterfudge of CC chances everywhere. Stick to prepackaged from a dedicated facility. OR do you own, the rotisserie mini table top toaster ovens I saw on sale today for $39.99 at Walmart can be used to make your own anyway you want. Just buy the raw chickens, rub them with gluten free seasonings/rub. and load them up and go.
I personally as a chef prefer the control of baking them in a pan and finishing with a broiler.

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, Jenng73 said:

Costco does.  It is clearly labeled gluten free.  The chicken guy does NOTHING but chickens.  He unloads factory seasoned chickens in a dedicated area and puts them on the skewers, load the ovens, takes them out and packages them.   I would worry more about low volume grocery store chickens.  Their staff wears many different hats.  

That said, you can make a cheap version right at home an Instant Pot or oven (if you have more time).  Get the chicken on sale.  I do this because Costco adds garlic to their seasoning.  I can not do garlic!  

Archived