This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Rapid Heartrate

swittenauer

swittenauer Enthusiast

My husband seems to have a very rapid heartbeat sometimes. He says he doesn't notice it during the day but at night it feels like his heart is doing flip flops. Is this a normal symptom of Celiac? Does this happen when he has had gluten possibly?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmmadden Contributor

This happened to me a few times. Especially when I was pre-diagnosed and now after I get glutened. I believe it to be the result of gas backing up the digestive track because of poorly digested foods (I was checked out on the Halter monitor to make sure it wasn't cardiac related). I also suffered a few panic attacks in the beginning which got the old ticker beating pretty good.

After being gluten-free for a while the symptoms have gone away for me and I'm starting to ween myself off the heartburn meds as well. I think it just takes time for some real healing to occur and hopefully your husband will see less symptoms as time goes by.

Best of Luck!

Cleveland Bob B)

Janelson Apprentice

I feel your husbands pain. This use to happen to me all the time before I knew I had celiac. They said it was caused by anxiety but even if I was just sitting watching tv my heart would just start pounding loud and hard and I would get light headed. Since then I have not had a problem....until yesterday! I ate gluten the other day and have been sick for about 5 days now and then yesterday my heart beat started going off the charts again. I was had an EKG test about 4 months ago and the results were perfect so I am not trying to worry about it. It must be celiac related!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had that alot pre diagnosis. It got better once I was on the diet but happens when my anxiety kicks up if I am glutened or something.

Has your husband had his thyroid tested? Hyperthyroid can cause rapid heartbeat.(I have a form of hyperthyroid and that was one of my symptoms)

mommida Enthusiast

There is a link between celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. I used to get the feeling of "flip-flops" in my chest and it was diagnosed as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, under-active thyroid.

Laura

swittenauer Enthusiast

He has not had his thyroid tested but I have heard that it could be a cause before when doing research but then I also heard it had something to do with celiac. Hopefully, it will subside but if not then we will have him tested.

Cindy Chabot Newbie

Both my son and myself have had the rapid or irregular heart beats. I assumed it had something to do with the celiac. We have had heart tests and everything was fine. It's nice to know that other people have had these same symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

swittenauer Enthusiast

I totally agree. Everytime he has a new symptom appear it is strangely comforting to know that he is not alone.

ianm Apprentice

I had rapid and irregular heartbeat prior to gluten-free but it is not a problem anymore.

Bonnie Explorer

Used to get it when I suffered anxiety attacks.

Now it happens every time I get glutened which is not too often thank goodness! :rolleyes:

Yvonne

bluelotus Contributor
There is a link between celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease.  I used to get the feeling of "flip-flops" in my chest and it was diagnosed as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, under-active thyroid.

Laura

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know how they diagnose Hashimoto's thyroiditis specifically? I was told I have "hypothyroidism" (diagnosis made prior to them realizing I had celiac disease), but with celiac disease, I wouldn't be suprised if it is autoimmune related.

kvogt Rookie

If I have have a drink (alcohol) it will cause my heart to race when I get horizontal. Also, after a drink, walking up a flight of stairs will also cause it to race.

judy05 Apprentice
My husband seems to have a very rapid heartbeat sometimes.  He says he doesn't notice it during the day but at night it feels like his heart is doing flip flops.  Is this a normal symptom of Celiac?  Does this happen when he has had gluten possibly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son just got tested for that. Everything was normal. The Cardiologist said that he thought it was from not drinking enough fluids. He increased his intake and is doing OK.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, if he does not drink enough and is dehydrated then rapid heartbeat can definitely happen.

beelzebubble Contributor

is he constipated? i know that sounds odd, but when i'm constipated i get awful gas that backs up into my chest and makes my chest feel tight. the first symptom is usually irregular heart beat. if i start forcing myself to burp, it gets better. sometimes i don't even realize that i am constipated, and then i start to get that feeling...i think back and realize that i am...

he might want to try taking some enzymes with his food and some acidophilous.

specialdiets Newbie
My husband seems to have a very rapid heartbeat sometimes.  He says he doesn't notice it during the day but at night it feels like his heart is doing flip flops.  Is this a normal symptom of Celiac?  Does this happen when he has had gluten possibly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had tachycardia that is not heart related for years and was put on Inderal to control it. It is worse at night/during sleep.

I went through tons of extensive Mayo clinic tests that showed I had mild autonomic dysfunction (dysautonomia) which is basically a nervous system disorder that is causing these heart fluctuations. A group of docs agreed that this was caused by the severe Celiac disease and pernicious anemia. I also am hypothyroid, so that doesn't help.

Celiac disease is definitely linked to neurological problems that are permanent. If symptoms continue or worsen, you should see a neurologist and cardiologist.

Sunni

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Do you know how they diagnose Hashimoto's thyroiditis specifically?  I was told I have "hypothyroidism" (diagnosis made prior to them realizing I had celiac disease), but with celiac disease, I wouldn't be suprised if it is autoimmune related.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure there is a specific antibody test or something to detect Hashimotos's. I'm not sure what test though...I was dx'd "hyperthyroid" in 99 and 3 years later I was told I had Graves Disease. It was probably Graves all along. I'm not sure what tests they used to determine Graves but I know I had an iodine uptake and a scan done. I saw pics of my thyroid...I guess they could tell something was up by looking at the pics as well. My Endocrinologist is suppossed to call me soon..I think I'll ask him about how they dx autoimmune or not.

• 3 weeks later...
Canadian Karen Community Regular

He should also look into MVP.

Here is a link:

Open Original Shared Link

Hugs.

Karen

Nadtorious Rookie

My blood pressure goes up when I get glutened. Normally I'm around 90 over 60 but if I get sick then it can go up to 120 over 100.

Nadia

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--I never thought that my palpitations could have been linked to my Celiac. I used to get them occasionaly. I had the Holter Monitor and an echocardiogram done and everything was normal there. Since being gluten-free, come to think of it, I haven't had any. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my anxiety is so much better now. Thanks for the heads up!

Heather22 Rookie

The only experience I have with rapid heart beats is after I eat anything with sugar. It doesn't have to even be concentrated sugar (candy), even the slightest bit forces me to lay down. Feels like I am having a heart attack, but usually subsides in 10-15 minutes.

Doctors say there is nothing wrong and have crossed out Diabetes and even hypoglycemia. Whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
swittenauer Enthusiast

Well, the rapid heartbeat continues almost on a nightly basis. He says it feels like it is flip flopping around or beating really fast. I guess you just learn to live with it & know that it is just associated with celiac & hopefully with time it might lessen.

jrom987 Apprentice
Wow--I never thought that my palpitations could have been linked to my Celiac.  I used to get them occasionaly.  I had the Holter Monitor and an echocardiogram done and everything was normal there.  Since being gluten-free, come to think of it, I haven't had any.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that my anxiety is so much better now.  Thanks for the heads up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too have had rapid heartbeats! I am really surprised to hear that they are related to celiac disease! I also had heart monitors and the echocardiograms. I am now wondering if anyone has had lower blood oxygen levels? Mine are dropping into the low 80's, especially when I am sleeping. I have done two sleep studies and they want me to wear the C-Pap. Not sure if I want to wear an oxygen mask to sleep every night but I will discuss this with my doctor tomorrow. Anyone else have this type of problem?

specialdiets Newbie
Well, the rapid heartbeat continues almost on a nightly basis.  He says it feels like it is flip flopping around or beating really fast.  I guess you just learn to live with it & know that it is just associated with celiac & hopefully with time it might lessen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He really should visit a cardiologist to rule some things out. My cardiologist did several tests that proved my heart was healthy and then recommended me for several neurological tests, such as the tilt table and a sleep study. This is how they determined my tachycardia was a dysautonomia. (As I mentioned in a previous post, a group of doctors from Mayo figured it was caused by many years of undiagnosed Celiac disease - which is well known to cause permanent neurological and other health problems.) Other causes of fast heart can be food allergies and anxiety.

If he can get accurately diagnosed they may put him on medication or other natural options for controling he heart rate. Changing the diet or exercise may be recommended. Accupuncture is a recommended therapy for neurological conditions and even performed at Mayo here. Its also great for anxiety and many other conditions. Its really helped me a lot.

Its important to take care of this problem because it will most likely not go away on its own. Neurological problems caused by celiac disease are usually permanent and can stay exactly the same or worsen over time. Also, other illness can exacerbate the condition, such as colds and flu. Whenever I get sick it makes my heart go crazy, and I'm on Inderal to control the problem. Even if the problem is something like stress and anxiety, that can be helped. It really is worth getting checked out.

Sunni

tarnalberry Community Regular

I agree; he shouldn't just learn to live with it - he needs to work with a doctor to find out what the problem was. (A friend had something similar, and it turns out it was hypoglycemia. I know there are a number of VERY different conditions that can cause this.)

Archived