This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Support Group In Charleston, Sc?

coolpawduke

coolpawduke Newbie

Does anyone know of a support group in the Charleston, SC area? I just moved to Mt. Pleasant at the end of December. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi, this is what I found in SC (right from this site :) ). I am not sure if it is close to you or not.... I hope it is helpful!!!

South Carolina

Columbia - Support Group

Contact 1: Peggy Smith

Palmetto Celiac Support Group

1508 Anthony Drive

West Columbia, SC 29172

Tel: (803) 775-9466 or (803) 755-7291

E-mail: PSmithCola@AOL.COM

Florence - Resource:

1214 Hillside Avenue

Florence, SC 29505

Tel: (803) 665-6290

coolpawduke Newbie

Thanks for the info! I'm still looking for something a little closer. Columbia is about 2 hours away. Thanks again though!

• 10 months later...
Nat'sMOM Newbie

My daughter has celiac disease and we live in Goose Creek, SC.....Have you had any luck finding a support group in the area? I have not, but maybe we could get together.

Kristi

• 1 month later...
Paiton's mom Newbie

Hi to those in the Charleston, SC area. I've been trying to find others with Celiac so that my daughter and I could start a support group. We live in N. Charleston, and would love to hear from anyone who would like to form a group.

Just drop me a line and we can set up a meeting.

Thanks,

Cathey

• 4 months later...
Skijoe Newbie
Does anyone know of a support group in the Charleston, SC area?  I just moved to Mt. Pleasant at the end of December.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

There is a support group started by Sara Hinkle,RD of Roper St Francis hospital.She is a Dietician at the hospital

Her phone number is 402 1099.

There is a scheduled meeting at 6:00 PM Aug. 15 at the St Francis Mall Classroom

Joe

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Have you guys found any gluten-free restaurants in Charleston or Columbia, South Carolina?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
luckycharm Newbie

Hi,

I am new to this board. I had a blood test done last week and waiting for the results. My Neurologist is insisting that I have celiac disease, but my GI dr. is saying that he doesnt think so. I also have MS too. But I chose this board because I saw Chareltson SC. My husband is in the military and we are moving to Charleston in March 06. I was very happy to see that there is a support group for celiac disease in the local area. I would love to talk to ya'all about things. Thanks and I hope that ya'all have a wonderful day. Hope to hear from ya'all soon...

luckycharm

• 1 month later...
Brambledoula Newbie

Hi! I'm new to this group, my 4 year old son has celiac and I'd love to meet some people! We live in Ladson. Will there be another of the support groups at roper?

• 2 weeks later...
gluegluten Newbie

i am from charleston.

m/22

i am fairly new to this diet...my mom thinks i may have celiac disease, so i am trying the gluten-free / wheat free diet, to see if i gain weight.

gluegluten Newbie
Have you guys found any gluten-free restaurants in Charleston or Columbia, South Carolina?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd suggest going to whole foods [it's a grocery store]...man i found a lot of good stuff there.

-s

• 3 weeks later...
mcsteffi Rookie

I would love to meet anyone in the charleston area with celiac. My 23 month old son was just dignosed and I am overwhelmed! I am trying to make sure he gets the correct foods and it is stressing me out. A support group is just what I need! Has anyone been to a meeting in this area? Are they helpful?

Stef.

gluegluten Newbie
I would love to meet anyone in the charleston area with celiac.  My 23 month old son was just dignosed and I am overwhelmed!  I am trying to make sure he gets the correct foods and it is stressing me out.  A support group is just what I need!  Has anyone been to a meeting in this area?  Are they helpful?

Stef.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i am new to celiac disease myself, and eating gluten-free...i am from the charleston are...

we need to get a group going.

i am 23 years old.

-s

mcsteffi Rookie
i am new to celiac disease myself, and eating gluten-free...i am from the charleston are...

we need to get a group going.

i am 23 years old.

-s

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I talked to a lady at Earth Fare the other day and she said she thought there is a group in Charleston but she didnt have the info right there. I told her I would come back and check to see if she found it. I havent heard of anything else in this area.

Stephanie

gluegluten Newbie

maybe we should start one @ Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant since they have a lot of gluten-free items.

mcsteffi Rookie
maybe we should start one @ Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant since they have a lot of gluten-free items.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sons dr just refered us to the dietician from St. Francis listed in this thread. I am going to try to make an appt w/ her next week or the first of the following week. The dr. did mention that she had a celiac support group. If I find out any more information about the groups after meeting w/ her I will post it.

gluegluten Newbie
I talked to a lady at Earth Fare the other day and she said she thought there is a group in Charleston but she didnt have the info right there.  I told her I would come back and check to see if she found it.  I havent heard of anything else in this area. 

Stephanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

every even number month.... at roper hospital on the 3rd monday ... of every month...

so the third monday in december is when the next meeting is. just giving you a heads up.

mcsteffi Rookie
every even number month.... at roper hospital on the 3rd monday ...  of every month...

so the third monday in december is when the next meeting is. just giving you a heads up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So have you been to one of those meetings? Are they any good?

• 3 weeks later...
gluegluten Newbie
So have you been to one of those meetings?  Are they any good?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i haven't been to one of those meetings, but i plan on going to one to see how they are.

• 2 weeks later...
mcsteffi Rookie
i haven't been to one of those meetings, but i plan on going to one to see how they are.

Hey!

I just got the flyer for the meeting in December. Its the 12th. I am going to try really hard to go but being so close to the holidays I might not be able to. Hope to see you there!

stef.

stephanie

• 2 years later...
DSKchucktown Newbie

I am new to Charleston and looking for a good GI doctor. I have not been tested to confirm I have celiac disease, but my Mom and brother both have the disease and I have a strong suspicion I do as well. If anyone can recommend a doctor with experience dealing with celiacs in the Charleston area, I would appreciate it.

thanks!

Archived