Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Vienna, Austria - Studying Abroad For The Summer

2 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had tips about having celiacs in Austria. I'll be there for a month and a half this summer brushing up on my German and studying psychology in Vienna. I will be living in a shared apartment so I can make most of my meals, but there will probably lots of days of going out to get food as a group, and nights spent in bars. I studied German for 6 years through middle and high school as well as doing an exchange in Berlin in high school, so I feel pretty proficient in German that if I learned the proper phrases I could explain my celiacs myself rather than carrying cards. But it has been 3 years since I've had formal training so I'm a little rusty. I have found the celiac's society in Vienna and will be contacting them soon.

I'm looking for information on brands that are available in Vienna for my kitchen, restaurants that can accomodate me and any tips for living in a foreign country with Celiac's. 

Danke!

Ads by Google:

Schar should be widely available in Vienna - don't know about other brands.  There's a couple of restaurants around that can accomodate celiac - the Austrian Celiac society is supposed to have a good list.  There's also quite a lot of ethnic restaurants around the city - like Indian and Turkish - that might work well for gluten free.

Even though you speak German, you may still want to take restaurant cards.  Celiac isn't that well known in Austria yet, and it might be helpful for the waiter to have the cards to bring back to the chef just in case.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• They didn't suggest any probiotic support. Ultimately the side-effects of this drug stabilized approaching the end of the course of treatment, though after it was finished, I was perhaps a bit improved, but no profound symptom resolution for me. Darn! The search goes on.
    • Thankyou I have found that I became intolerant of dairy and having cut it out feeling better but if I come into accidental consumption the symptoms are similar to that of gluten but not as severe .. Patience ay ?
    • I checked the Gluten Free Watchdog (I subscribe) and did not find this  particular product, but found the company's oat bran flakes which did not list any gluten ingrediants, but barley was found in testing well over 20 parts per million.  I would stick with certified gluten-free cereals, personally.  I think it is "hit or miss" on grain products.    
    • It is normal for other intolerances to become apparent once you remove gluten. I don't know why, perhaps as the immune system is free'd from chasing gluten it finds new targets? A lot of coeliacs find they have to cut out dairy as well for example. It's certainly my number one culprit for skin issues.  It also can take time for removing gluten to have its full effect, as antibodies will remain in the body for up to 6 months. So the reaction could still be to gluten in a way. 
    • I did not re-test my antibodies for a full year after diagnosis but I think your daughter should be checked again in 6 months.  If she does have celiac, and I really am sure she does regardless of what this doc seems to think, they should decrease in 6 months.  If she is fast healer, they could potentially be in the normal range but it varies from person to person. She did show damage in her small intestine but at 4 years of age, damage would not have progressed to the point where this doctor could be convinced it is Celiac.  They set the bar way too high. Kind of silly to require you to damage her insides further to prove it to the AMA. I think she should go gluten-free, as you have stated, and re-scope her in 6 months to see how the original damage looks then. If it is gone, then maybe that would convince them. The 4 out 5 criteria is not done in kids because, I am convinced, of liability issues. They just do not want to get sued if by some small chance, they diagnosed someone who did not have Celiac.  I think the odds of that are pretty slim, when you think about it. Even with a misdiagnosis, eating gluten free will never harm anyone. But as children are minors and cannot legally make medical decisions on their own like adults can, that rule is out for them.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    LizzylouNZ