#1 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had tips about having celiacs in Austria. I'll be there for a month and a half this summer brushing up on my German and studying psychology in Vienna. I will be living in a shared apartment so I can make most of my meals, but there will probably lots of days of going out to get food as a group, and nights spent in bars. I studied German for 6 years through middle and high school as well as doing an exchange in Berlin in high school, so I feel pretty proficient in German that if I learned the proper phrases I could explain my celiacs myself rather than carrying cards. But it has been 3 years since I've had formal training so I'm a little rusty. I have found the celiac's society in Vienna and will be contacting them soon.

I'm looking for information on brands that are available in Vienna for my kitchen, restaurants that can accomodate me and any tips for living in a foreign country with Celiac's. 

Danke!

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kate79

Kate79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Schar should be widely available in Vienna - don't know about other brands.  There's a couple of restaurants around that can accomodate celiac - the Austrian Celiac society is supposed to have a good list.  There's also quite a lot of ethnic restaurants around the city - like Indian and Turkish - that might work well for gluten free.

Even though you speak German, you may still want to take restaurant cards.  Celiac isn't that well known in Austria yet, and it might be helpful for the waiter to have the cards to bring back to the chef just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: