4 replies to this topic

#1 Sambucca

Sambucca

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm new here *waves* I self diagnosed about 3 months ago. I have been gluten free (strict) for 3 months. I am also taking some nutritional supplements and finding that I cannot absorb them. I basically get bad diarrhea...I am just taking small doses and trying to work my way up but have seen really no improvement in 3 months. I know it will take time for my villi to heal, but I'm just wondering how long? I guess I hoped I would have seen improvement by now. Can anyone share any stories about how long it took their stomach's to heal? I am 29 years old. Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know you all and the support here :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Welcome to the board. Have you made sure the supplements and any other meds you take are gluten free?  Did your doctor rule out any other issues before you decided to go gluten free? What are you typically eating? Whole unprocessed foods cooked at home are safest. Are you living with gluten eaters? If you are living with them are you making sure you are doing all you need to do to protect yourself from cross contamination? It can take a while to heal but you should have noticed some improvement in the D by now. Many of us also need to drop dairy until we heal and it might not be a bad idea to drop soy also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Sambucca

Sambucca

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi,
I'm doing this under the advice of a naturopathic Dr. Yes the supplements are gluten free. It's actually the supplements "causing the diarrhea" not cause they are bad supplements but because I cannot absorb them properly yet. I'm eating whole foods prepared at home. Eggs, roast chicken, sweet potato, salad, etc. I'm already dairy free and soy free. My whole household is gluten free so cross contamination shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Sambucca, 14 April 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#4 Sambucca

Sambucca

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

I maybe worded this wrong. Sorry. I shouldn't say I haven't noticed "anything". I have noticed improvements in my overal health. I've lost 25lbs since going gluten free 3 months ago and my skin is much nicer. I had an itchy flaky rash on my scalp that's gone. I just haven't noticed my ability to absorb nutrients get better yet, is what I meant.

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Is one of your supplements a digestive enzyme?  Often a big reason we are not absorbing our food is that we have temporarily lost the ability of the pancreas to make enough enzymes to break it down.  Many of us find that taking a digestive enzyme with each meal helps enormously.  This should also help you break down and absorb your supplements.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009