Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

I Want New Villi

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I'm new here *waves* I self diagnosed about 3 months ago. I have been gluten free (strict) for 3 months. I am also taking some nutritional supplements and finding that I cannot absorb them. I basically get bad diarrhea...I am just taking small doses and trying to work my way up but have seen really no improvement in 3 months. I know it will take time for my villi to heal, but I'm just wondering how long? I guess I hoped I would have seen improvement by now. Can anyone share any stories about how long it took their stomach's to heal? I am 29 years old. Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know you all and the support here :)

Ads by Google:

Welcome to the board. Have you made sure the supplements and any other meds you take are gluten free?  Did your doctor rule out any other issues before you decided to go gluten free? What are you typically eating? Whole unprocessed foods cooked at home are safest. Are you living with gluten eaters? If you are living with them are you making sure you are doing all you need to do to protect yourself from cross contamination? It can take a while to heal but you should have noticed some improvement in the D by now. Many of us also need to drop dairy until we heal and it might not be a bad idea to drop soy also.

Hi,
I'm doing this under the advice of a naturopathic Dr. Yes the supplements are gluten free. It's actually the supplements "causing the diarrhea" not cause they are bad supplements but because I cannot absorb them properly yet. I'm eating whole foods prepared at home. Eggs, roast chicken, sweet potato, salad, etc. I'm already dairy free and soy free. My whole household is gluten free so cross contamination shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Sambucca

I maybe worded this wrong. Sorry. I shouldn't say I haven't noticed "anything". I have noticed improvements in my overal health. I've lost 25lbs since going gluten free 3 months ago and my skin is much nicer. I had an itchy flaky rash on my scalp that's gone. I just haven't noticed my ability to absorb nutrients get better yet, is what I meant.

Is one of your supplements a digestive enzyme?  Often a big reason we are not absorbing our food is that we have temporarily lost the ability of the pancreas to make enough enzymes to break it down.  Many of us find that taking a digestive enzyme with each meal helps enormously.  This should also help you break down and absorb your supplements.