#1 happy_2b_me

happy_2b_me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hey people,

so I wanted to ask everyone what their journey with gluten-free has been like. Personally, I have been gluten-free since the age of 6 (1999, when celiac hadn't gone mainstream yet), due to a wheat allergy, so I've pretty much lived my whole life with it, and it's not really that big of a deal. My friends understand what I can and can't eat (most of the time) and I've become good at creating my own meals (since pre-made gluten-free can be EXPENSIVE). I'm in college, but I live at home. That comes with its own set of problems, right?  ;)   So, basically I'm wondering, 

1. Are you G sensitive, or Celiac?

2. What's your gluten-free story, has it been frustrating, easy, expensive, scary, funny...?

3. Do you think that being gluten-free make you unique, does it define you as an individual?

4. What do you think needs to happen in the gluten-free and non-gluten-free communities/industries to help us all out?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

1) I am a self-diagnosed celiac based on family history and response to the diet.

2) It was frustrating and downright heartbreaking at first. Now that I've adjusted, it's a piece of (gluten-free) cake! :)

3) Being gluten-free is no different to me than having blue eyes or being tall. It doesn't define me, it's just part of living that I only think of when contemplating eating out.

4) Being that I live in a tiny and rather isolated town, my wish is that there were more gluten-free options locally. My local health food store carries some decent breads and some gluten-free sausages, pizza (Against the Grain - YUM!!) and a few desserts. The trouble is, a lot of the gluten-free foods contain soy or corn, both of which I am also intolerant to. If Against the Grain can make such delicious foods in a gluten-free, corn-free and soy-free facility, why don't others? Also, it is really hard to find vitamins and supplements that are free of all three.

It would be nice if more restaurants had truly gluten-free menus and educated their staffs on CC. But I'm not holding my breath. <_<

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: