This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Gluten Free Has Affected Your Life

happy-2b-me

happy-2b-me Newbie

Hey people,

so I wanted to ask everyone what their journey with gluten-free has been like. Personally, I have been gluten-free since the age of 6 (1999, when celiac hadn't gone mainstream yet), due to a wheat allergy, so I've pretty much lived my whole life with it, and it's not really that big of a deal. My friends understand what I can and can't eat (most of the time) and I've become good at creating my own meals (since pre-made gluten-free can be EXPENSIVE). I'm in college, but I live at home. That comes with its own set of problems, right?  ;)   So, basically I'm wondering, 

1. Are you G sensitive, or Celiac?

2. What's your gluten-free story, has it been frustrating, easy, expensive, scary, funny...?

3. Do you think that being gluten-free make you unique, does it define you as an individual?

4. What do you think needs to happen in the gluten-free and non-gluten-free communities/industries to help us all out?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

1) I am a self-diagnosed celiac based on family history and response to the diet.

2) It was frustrating and downright heartbreaking at first. Now that I've adjusted, it's a piece of (gluten-free) cake! :)

3) Being gluten-free is no different to me than having blue eyes or being tall. It doesn't define me, it's just part of living that I only think of when contemplating eating out.

4) Being that I live in a tiny and rather isolated town, my wish is that there were more gluten-free options locally. My local health food store carries some decent breads and some gluten-free sausages, pizza (Against the Grain - YUM!!) and a few desserts. The trouble is, a lot of the gluten-free foods contain soy or corn, both of which I am also intolerant to. If Against the Grain can make such delicious foods in a gluten-free, corn-free and soy-free facility, why don't others? Also, it is really hard to find vitamins and supplements that are free of all three.

It would be nice if more restaurants had truly gluten-free menus and educated their staffs on CC. But I'm not holding my breath. <_<

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - trents replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

2. - Tlbaked13 replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

3. - cristiana replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

4. - Tlbaked13 replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

5. - trents replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Mimi of 4
    Newest Member
    Mimi of 4
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Christiana makes a good point. Long term undiagnosed and untreated (by a gluten-free diet) celiac disease inevitibly results in vitamin and mineral deficiencies because of the damage done to the villous lining of the small bowel - the part of the intestines where essentially all nutrition is absorbed. Keep eating plenty of gluten until all testing for celiac disease is complete so as to render valid test results. Beginning a gluten-free diet ahead of time allows healing to take place and compromises testing. But if it turns out you are diagnosed as having celiac disease, you will want to begin high potency vitamin and mineral supplementation along with serious gluten free eating.
    • Tlbaked13
      Thank you guys for your input I am loving this forum more and more and it hasn't been a hour!
    • cristiana
      Hi Tibaked If you are diagnosed with coeliac disease, you may find that all sorts of symptoms will be alleviated by a gluten free diet.  GERD and lactose intolerance can be greatly reduced if not eliminated once the gluten-free diet is adopted.  However, if you want to be tested and officially diagnosed you will need to have been consuming gluten until your blood test/endoscopy.   Although I don't have the same sensations you describe before my diagnosis, I frequently woke up with numb arms and numb fingers.  I could feel pins and needles in my extremities.  Weirdest of all, the sensation that drops of cold water, like rain, were falling on me, even though the sun was shining or I was indoors. It took time but things got much better after after following a gluten free diet for a while. Of course,  some neuropathy is caused by malnutrition, common in coeliacs when first diagnosed,  so make sure the doctor checks your vitamin (particularly B12) and iron levels. Cristiana
    • Tlbaked13
      Not officially diagnosed yet I goto the doctor a week from today but I'm 110% that will be the diagnosis I honestly can't believe my doctors/health care team hasn't put it together before I mean I'm basically the live and walking definition straight from the book haha I don't think I've ever been so sure on anything before I'm just reqly concerned for this diet I will be living on or diets I guess due to type 1 diabetes, gastroparesis, gerd, celiac disease, and lactose intolerance...what is left? A sand salad with a side of rain water?!? I definitely see a tough future
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum, @Tlbaked13! Have you been officially diagnosed with celiac disease? It is well-known that celiac disease can result in peripheral neuropathy but so can diabetes.