5 replies to this topic

#1 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:49 AM

I was just diagnosed with Celiac 2 days ago. Now that the inital shock has worn off I have been doing some research online and I found this message board. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kerri 29 and I beleive that I've had Celiac for at least 7 years if not longer. I have ALOT of symptoms including recurrent miscarriages. I've had 4 in all. My dr has put me on a detox program and of course the diet. I just wanted to ask you all how long it takes before you feel better?? Now that I know what I'm dealing with I'm anxious to feel better!! I have been to many many drs through the years all of which could not find the problem so they said it was "all in my head" I am sure you guys have been through all that before as well. I look forward to getting to know everyone soon! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:53 PM

My name is Kerri and I've just been diagnosed with Celiac 2 days ago. I believe I've had this disease for the last 6-7 years. I've been to many many drs before only to be told that "it was all in my head." I'm sure many of you had the same problem. They now believe that this was the cause of my 4 miscarriages. I just have a quick question. Once you started the gluten-free diet how long did it take you to feel better? I look forward to getting to know you all soon. Thanks.

#3 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:43 PM

Hi Kerri,

It does seem to take a bit of time. I'm starting to feel really good after about one and a half years. I do have to mention that there were quite a few accidents with gluten. Now I just cook all my own food in my own space, and cook from raw food. The only processed food I eat is canned salmon from Thailand (Chicken of the Sea). I figure the Thai people do not even eat gluten lunches in the salmon factory.

I think the biggest trick is to find a diet that works for you. I can eat fish, brown rice, chicken, and vegetables. That's about it. I gave up drinking anything but water. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but it works for me. I'll do whatever it takes to feel good. B)

Good luck with your gluten free diet. :D

#4 Laura

Laura

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:49 PM

Hi Kerry,

Welcome here.

It seems like people have widely varying times before they start feeling better. That partly depends how much damage had been done before they were diagnosed, but also it seems to vary for other reasons that are less clear. It's hard for me to know how quickly I felt better, since my symptoms weren't totally clear-cut so I didn't know they had been symptoms until they were gone for a while. I bet that going gluten-free with really help you not miscarry again. One of the very first changes I noticed when I did it was that I went from getting my period only every two or three months to being close to regular, so it can definitely have an effect on fertility issues.

I feel like cheering every time someone comes here having finally gotten diagnosed as celiac. Not because it's such a picnic giving up gluten, but because their lives are going to improve so much. Maybe not right away, but sooner or later it is going to make such a difference to your health.

(Oh, and I eat more things than travelthomas. I still cook for myself most of the time, and it's hard to eat out a lot of places, but I have lots of foods I can eat. Definitely read the food and recipes sections here, though.)

#5 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

I have been gluten-free for 3 weeks now, and I am already starting to notice some improvements.... granted I have a long way to go, but I see improvements already!!

#6 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:09 AM

TOTAL IMPROVEMENT in 3 months

my symptoms were

night blindness
fatique
skinny
dark circle under eyes
anemia
ostepenia (this will take awhile to reverse)
waking 2 or 3 times a night to use facilities
hemoroids

gained 16 pounds in 3 months and feel like running a race.
Had sympton for a least 9 years

Lisa F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: