1 reply to this topic

#1 MominSoCal

MominSoCal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

My 7yo had her endoscopy yesterday and the doc mentioned seeing "possible some mild blunting of the duodenum", but her biopsies came back negative today.

She had a weak positive TTG-IgA, low iron and low Vit D.

We are still planning on a long trial of gluten-free to see if her symptoms improve...but it is frustrating not having a definitive answer!

Can anyone theorize about the "damage" being caused by someone else?  The GI still won't say it is Celiac, but she 'may" have gluten intolerance and to go ahead and try diet.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Did your daughter have a complete celiac antibody panel or just the tTG?

Do you have a copy of the pathology report from the procedure? The early stages of celiac have cellular changes that are sometimes noted in the report, but are not conclusive for diagnosis.

How many samples were taken? Many doctors do not take enough as damage can be spotty and can not be seen by the doctor except in the most advanced cases.

It is time to remove ALL gluten for at least three months - if her symptoms improve request a retest of both Celiac Panel and nutrients. If symptoms and serology improve perhaps the doctor will review diagnosis.

I do think that a positive antibody test, low nutrient levels and the doctor's observation of possible minor blunting are reason enough to not completely dismiss Celiac Disease.

For now make sure you have written or electronic copies of all blood work along with both the procedural and pathology reports for the endo.

Hang in there :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: