19 replies to this topic

#16 GinEva

GinEva

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:44 PM

I was diagnosed a Celiac baby, but my Mom didn't keep me on the gluten-free once I reached my teens. My whole mother's side of the family moved away to Florida, when I reached my twenties, and haven't had anyone to discuss it with.

But, considering the links to different diseases/conditions, I would have to say it does run in my family.

My mom had two sisters and one brother:
* Brother - no kids, colon cancer
* 1st Sister - no kids, breast cancer, colon cancer
* 2nd Sister - no kids, colon cancer
* My mom - 2 kids, 3 still born, broken hip, dementia (still living- 90 yrs old)
(my half-sister & I - no kids)

My dad had 2 brothers:
*1st Brother - 2 kids, heart condition, leukemia-passed in 1 wk.
*2nd Brother - 3 kids, heart condition. (#)
*My dad - 1 kid, skin cancer, Alzhemers, Parkinsons (passed at 72)

Don't know about my grandparents as most of them had passed before I was born (Do know my Mom's dad died of a goiter in the neck (thriod cancer?)

Also, my dad's (1st) brother, who had two daughters, I know one adopted a child and the other I've had no word of her having any kids.

Have I ever spoken to my cousins about it; tried to at a Thanksgiving dinner, but was told by my Aunt (dad's 2nd brother's wife-not blood) to be quite about it! And here is the only surving line in the family(#). Ignorance is bliss...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 taneil

taneil

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

Well I have Gluten Intolerance and both genes. So both of my children have at least one gene. My younger sister (18) is showing signs of celiac disease and just got tested, but has not received the test results yet. She has a twin who may have problems also but not yet...my older sister has Hashimoto's Hypothryroidism which I know can be related to celiac disease and I am thinking she has it, but she doesn't want to know because she too doesn't want to give up certain foods. Though I think she is willing to get tested if necessary.

My maternal Grandfather had diabetes and died having celiac disease but was never dx. It wasn't until my maternal aunt was dx that we realized what was wrong the last few years of my grandfathers life. Then my aunt's daughter was dx along with both of her children. And one of her children has two genes.

My mother and father both have atleast one gene because I have both of the genes, but they don't show symptoms yet...

My dad's brother died in 1980 from an accident, but now that we know I have two genes, thus my dad's side has the gene we think he was atleast gluten intolerant because he always complained of stomaches.

So it is in my family and I am glad my aunt was dx so I was aware of the situation. Thus when I showed signs of Hashimoto's I had my doctor run blood work for celiac disease. Then decided to be tested through enterolabs.
Taneil
Enterolab Diagnosed May 2004
gluten-free/CF and have both genes

Psalm 27:13-14
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

#18 simone

simone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

I am the first in my family to figure out the Celiac connection. Evedently I have been having symptoms for several years but did not know it. I am 37 now. I suspect other family members have it as well but they won't do anything about it until they feel more sick.

My younger brother definitely shares some of the symptoms that I have and I am very concerned that his second child has symptoms now. I am working on them to cut the wheat from her diet to see if her appetite improves. If symptoms are subtle, as they can be in this disorder, people really tend to ignore them.

Simone

#19 Queen Serenity

Queen Serenity

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:03 AM

Hi!
I, too, am the only one in my family with Celiac's. My children have showed no signs of it, and they have been tested periodically through the years. The rest of my family does not have the disease either. The way I see it, it's just luck of the draw with the gene pool! I just gave birth to my daughter in May, and I hope she does not test positive for it. I'll keep everyone posted.
Vicki :)

P.S. Simone, how long have you had Celiac's? I have had it for 9 years now. I am also 37 years old. It's just that curious being in me! :D

#20 byuiemily

byuiemily

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

My older sister was the first one diagnosed, while she over teaching in Austria. She has always been so sick, and was bedridden during much of high school, with the doctors not having a clue as to what she might have. Until she was diagnosed in Austria, we had never heard of Celiac. When the doctors there told her it was genetic, the rest of the family got tested. My Mom, my three other sisters, my brother and I were all diagnosed with celiac disease soon after. I had lost 40 pounds in about a month, throwing up every morning, was down to barely 100 lbs, so to say the least, I was so glad to find out what was wrong with me. It's interesting to hear about everyone else's Family celiac disease situations, because they are all over the place, with some being the only one in their family with celiac disease, and others like my family where all the kids ended up with it. I have to wonder if maybe even though my Dad tested negative, his side of the family is also celiac disease, because my uncle had colon cancer and my grandpa had a lot of digestive problems, and so this is why all of us kids were so "lucky" to end up with celiac disease....i don't know, just an interesting thought.
Emily Wilkes
Diagnosed August 2002 at age 17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: